Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best outer and cable
  • cchris2lou

Using Juin Tech R1 on the road bike and want to improve the performance.

What are the best brakes cable outer ?

twisty

Vertebrae

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Shimano Change em regularly.

z1ppy

^ wot he said SP41 outer and a SS inner, change them every year, jobs a good un and won’t cost an arm and a leg.

IHN

The compressionless ones Charlie the Bikemonger sells, turned by BB7s from good to amazing. Cheap too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I don’t know if they’re the same stuff for road, but yeah, +1 SP41 outers. For an MTB full outers, I’d say any generic SS inner. For road, which I guess is partial outers, and you want ultra slick shifting, then don’t know if fancy inners are better, though probably SS inners are just fine anyway with SP41.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the Jagwire road elite are good. (like nokon)

fooman

Pretty sure SP41 is gear cable outer only, look at Shimano SLR for brake outer. Jagwire Slick Stainless (a little smoother than normal stainless) for gear / brake inners.

nytmadn
    Free Member

I love Mini I Link for gears, and they do brake sets too, very slick and the lightest you can get. Bit pricy though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

fooman – Member 
    Pretty sure SP41 is gear cable outer only

D’oh! Yeah, didn’t fully read the post. Brakes are another matter and I know nothing about cable brakes (though I’ve had many in the past, road and one rubbish one on MTB, but wouldn’t know what they were).

jonk

Jagwire make a kit for this purpose. Its compression less and really good.

cchris2lou

Thanks it is for a road bike , full lengh outer .

aracer
    Free Member

What’s wrong with what you have now? I’m using various things – standard Shimano, pimpy Transfil Flying Snake carbon/kevlar, cheapy Clarks and can’t say I’ve noticed an issue with performance of any of them. Probably going to use the cheapy Clarks to recable my posh TT bike.

robhughes
    Free Member

Sp41 with jagwire ripcord Teflon inner.Absolute perfection as the inner is 1.1mm and shifts like a shifty thing. 😀
    link.

cchris2lou

It feels spongy . It is a very old shimano outer .

twisty

Why are people posting about gear cables when OP states brake cables?
    Vertabrae is still the best option.
    If cost of those is an issue then, compressionless outers like jagwire work much better for cable disks etc but there is a compromise as these have difficulty going round tight bends compared to the more spongy spiral structure outers.

frogstomp

Not tried them myself, but someone I know keeps banging on about how great the Yokozuna cables are.

deadkenny
    Free Member

twisty – Member 
    Why are people posting about gear cables when OP states brake cables?

To be fair, MTB forum / magazine, usually we don’t have cable brakes 😉 . Roadie content 😛 . Though I admit I did realise it was road, but still misread the bit about brakes 😀

aracer
    Free Member

How much difference does it really make though? As mentioned above, I’m not really noticing any performance issue with standard housing – which is what most people (including the pros with their rim brakes!) use. I presume the Flying Snake cables I have on my posh road bike are compressionless though, as they use the same outer for gear and brake?

twisty

I guess it comes down to the brake squish:cable squish ratio. For most rim brakes there is quite a lot of inherent squish in then pads etc, so a bit of cable squish is not particularly noticeable. However for cable disks there is very little squish in the pads etc, so cable squish is really noticeable.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best outer and cable’ is closed to new replies.