Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best option 9 speed shifters
  • PJay
    Free Member

My SRAM Rocket (Shimano compatible) shifters seem to be on the way out and I’m on the lookout for replacements but don’t want to spend too much. XTs are nice of course but Merlin have SLXs for £35 a pair which seems a good deal. Is there anything else out there to match these for performance/price?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Personally I prefer the feel of XT over SLX, SLX just felt a little plasticky and not quite as positive. Worked just as well though.
    Have a look on the classifieds, theres often 9spd shifters on there going for a decent price.

rocketman
    Free Member

XT shifters are very nice. Metal thumb levers, detachable windows, two-way release lovely.

Sancho
    Free Member

Saint if you can get them

bigyinn
    Free Member

Saint are just XT innards in a slightly different casing aren’t they?

PJay
    Free Member

I’m sure that XT are nicer (and XTR nicer still) but cost is a concern. Merlin have a pair of SLXs for £35, XTs when they’re back in stock will be £60 (Saints are £85 a pair). If XTs are an outright winner then it might be worth waiting until my Rockets finally give up, but I don’t imagine that SLX are that shoddy either and I’m not sure I’d notice compared to my fairly old Rockets.

Sancho
    Free Member

No Saint are a lot sharper/stiffer action than XT, shorter buttons too.

just feel a lot better IMO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best option 9 speed shifters’ is closed to new replies.