Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best Olympic commentator / pundit
  • geoffj

Its gotta be Michael Johnson for his clear informed comment – I’m also liking Eddie Butler’s document monologues. Colin Jackson on the other hand….

plumber
    Free Member

+1

wooobob

I like Ian Thorpe. He’s very earnest, and wears interesting tops.

mikey74
    Free Member

+1 for MJ.

Ian Thorpe is pretty good at punditry too.

The award for the worst goes to John McEnroe, who didn’t have a clue what was going on.

Markie
    Free Member

Look, it has to be Michael Johnson followed by Ian Thorpe. Amazing athletes turned great commentators.

As for Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis…

porter_jamie

Michael Johnson by a margain

bigbloke
    Free Member

micheal johnson by far. absolute legend

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Look, Ian Thorpe has been great ok

Swelper
    Free Member

Chris Boardman, very informative

loum
    Free Member

Sir Steve Redgrave wasn’t quite a pundit/commentator, but was by far the best of the “presenting team” whenever he was involved.
    The respect the other athletes have for him means he is never an outsider to the competitors, it’s like he is part of their squad.

His interviews/interaction with Sir Chris Hoy, Alan Campbell and others were some of the top highlights of the coverage for me.

Got to nominate Bert Le Clos for his enthusiasm too, he should have his own show.

wooobob

In fairness, Balding put some work in and did a good job IMO. Denise Lewis was pretty chod (good bone structure though). Cav had his moments, both good and bad. Jamie Staff was one of the better ones. Did I mention Ian Thorpe? Very expressive eyes.

edhornby

I thought Steve Cram was good for the track and field, talked enough but not too much

mikey74
    Free Member

I thought CB did pretty well, to be fair.

Oh, and +1 for Steven Redgrave as well = legend.

DezB
    Free Member

I like Ed Leigh. Sort of bloke I could go down the pub with.

edhornby

Brendan’s past it now, Colin Jackson needs a P45

deluded
    Free Member

Michael Johnson – superb. I wonder why he’d not be snapped up by an American broadcaster, but from what I can gather track & field isn’t a big deal out there? I’m sure he mentioned it doesn’t get the coverage that perhaps it ought to.

Thorpe’s been refreshing – clearly he needs to stop prefacing ‘Look’ at the start of his sentences.

Balding’s been v good.

Lineaker looked hopeless at times.

Garry_Lager

+1 for Steve cram, great commentator. The other bloke who does the track and field seems to have been doing it forever, since I was a kid. Is it Stuart Storey? Old school RP way of speaking, a reliable voice.

Richie Woodall was good on the boxing, although massively biased to the Brit fighters.

The anchors were pretty poor in general. I normally like lineker’s relaxed demeanour as a counterpoint to football nonsense. Seemed all wrong for the Olympics though.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Helen Skelton…..Obs!!! 🙄

plop_pants
    Free Member

Colin Jackson for his sheer enthusiasm, gaffs and all.
    I know who I’d rather spend time with in the pub. MJ can stay at home with his mum.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best Olympic commentator / pundit’ is closed to new replies.