Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best Offroad Phone Map App ?
  • COZZY
    Free Member

Hi

What is the best off road phone app to track rides and actually SEE BRIDLE WAYS AND BYWAYS on the phone map as you go along.

Tired of missing turnings and messing up planned routes !!!

thanks

COZZY
    Free Member

Do any have OS maps or do you only get these through a specific OS app ?

dknwhy

Viewranger

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks – do you buy the areas on this app ? (im just down loading it) Thanks

scaredypants

backcountry navigator is pretty good IME, though I don’t use it on the bars as a map (I’m sure you could)

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 for viewranger.

You pay for the maps if you want OS.

However I find using the Open Street/Cycle Map is plenty detailed enough, and often has other detail OS won’t.

The OSM stuff however isn’t downloadable as a batch. You have to view the areas in advance and it will cache them offline. Which is a pain.

I only use it for occasional check on an area if I’m not used to it and verify where I am. Though to follow a route I photocopy a paper OS map section, mark it up, and stuff it in my bag.

EveryTrail is worth a look also, mainly because people share routes you can follow, with some summary information, photos and tips. Again I think the maps are cached. OSM again.

COZZY
    Free Member

Just saw backcountry navigator is £7.99 on Android – what do you get for this ? the UK ?

thanks for all the advice so far.

I also take a hard copy but on new routes there is always uncertainty for me has my natural built in bearings are poor ! (and on the last ride I only had a screen shot print not a trail realmap)

welshfarmer

7.99 will be just the app, doubt it will include any OS mapping.

I use all my OS maps from Memory map which I have on the PC with an app called “Alpine Quest”. I just copy the 1:25K maps I need onto the phone SD card and it displays them on the screen. There is real time plotting and you can save routes as GPX to upload to Strava afterwards. I find it much more reliable than the Strava App. You can also plot routes on the PC and save as GPX to follow on the OS maps on the phone. We did some of the MBR routes last weekend and they were a doddle to follow on the maps.

russ295
    Free Member

Motion x?
    You can download the maps(free) and use off line.

COZZY
    Free Member

Does the back country navigator also record your route ?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Back country navigator allows you to download OS tiles for free. It also records your track and can upload .gpx files. Not the best menu and usability but its cheap and works.

muggomagic

ViewRanger is superb. I bought the sdw maps around 15 years ago for an old Nokia symbian phone and due to their amazing customer service I’ve had those same maps on every phone since. Currently got them on android phone and tablet also got them on an iPad.

phildb
    Free Member

Another vote for Viewranger. I use the in-app map tool to download the the whole of the peaks and Derbyshire Open cycle map to my phone so doesn’t even use data. The only function I think is missing is an auto-pause when tracking.

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks – currently having trouble buying tiles for viewranger ?

What scale do you use : 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 ?

nickjb
    Free Member

1:50k. Plenty good enough for biking and much cheaper.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

back country nav does everything for a small initial fee. it uses multimap 1:25k OS and you can copy and save (on your wifi at home to save data) any section of 1:25k multimap OS to use off line in the mountains. they offer a 3 week free trial. I’m a bit of a tech numpty and haven’t found it too complicated to use.

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks all

dknwhy

I tend to download areas rather than tiles for viewranger. I periodically delete the maps and download them again to get updated versions. Once you pay for an area once, you don’t have to pay for it again.

palroy
    Free Member

Motion X is not bad, but for me Spyglass is top-notch. It costs 3.99, but there are no monthly payments, and all updates are free. You can read downloaded maps offline, mark waypoints and save locations.
    It works great for off-road navigation and indispensable for hiking.

Cougar

But then, you would say that, given that you work there.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Another vote for Viewranger
    I bought UK OS maps several years ago on DVD for an old symbian phone
    As mentioned previously amazing customer service meant I have been able to reuse
    these maps on the half a dozen or so phones I have had since.

I even run it on 2 phones at once and it sync’s my routes between then , old iphone for offroad
    and newer Galaxy for commuting.

Works well with imported .gpx files if you want to follow a route

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best Offroad Phone Map App ?’ is closed to new replies.