Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Best off road GPS route device?
  • hora
    Free Member

That’s still cost effective, 300£ is spendy.

Garmin 810? Any others?

husa450
    Free Member

I use a garmin Dakota 20 which has OS mapping (cant remember if its 1:25k or 1:50K) and cannot recommend it enough. you can plan routes in garmin basecamp on OS maps or use it as a road only sat nav too. Pick them up for around 100. think they have been superseded by an Etrex model now though…

richardthird

Dakota or Etrex with free TalkyToaster contour maps.

Bombproof, won’t shit itself like 810 etc, AA Lithiums run 24hr++, cheap as.

fasthaggis

Map and compass?

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve a Garmin 810 loaded with maps from OpenStreetMap. If I want to follow a route I create it in ridewithgps.com (or similar) and put it on the garmin, which then gives create directions and can spin the map so up is forwards. Works better than I expected, to be honest.

hora
    Free Member

The Etrex20 looks like a good balance of price v function?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you just want route following (and not HRM/cadence/Strava segments/link to your phone) then look at the Edge Touring. Nav is identical to the 8xx but you can pick it up for £150ish

tillydog
    Free Member

The Etrex20 looks like a good balance of price v function?

Yes (I own one), but…

It doesn’t display height gained/lost while riding (the data is in the gpx files)- need the 30x for that.

fasthaggis

Honestly Hora
    You need to stop being such a tightarse and just buy one,or wait another few months and post up yet another thread asking about GPS.
    Groundhog day 😛

You will then get the same posts telling you what other people use,which you can then ignore for another year.

Or you could post another wanted ad

or just laminate some maps and pin them to your bars 😆

stevego
    Free Member

I’ve had no luck with garmin 800’s and 810’s. The computer port always ends up corroded eventually. I’m on my second 810, first was replaced under warranty, current one has just shat itself, screen stopped responding on right hand side, despite recalibrating the screen a few times, computer port had already given up on it.

Duc
    Free Member

if you want a device for navigation then surely and etrex is the best bet if you want a bike computer then the edge will work. seldom does a device do two things well. The iphone being a case in point – as a phone its pretty mediocre but its great for playing games

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I use an Edge touring. Got me all the way across Scotland off road.
    Can work as a normal bike computer (mine does heart rate too, it’s the + model) or as a navigator.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I use a garmin 800 with osmaps, bought it second hand for around £100 and works perfectly.

ransos
    Free Member

If I want to follow a route I create it in ridewithgps.com (or similar) and put it on the garmin

I find OSM very poor for creating off-road routes: for example, bridleways are not always shown, and the software will sometimes not allow you to route along marked tracks. Turn-by-turn navigation is also very hit and miss off-road.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Turn-by-turn navigation is also very hit and miss off-road.

that’s putting it mildly. completely un-usuable would be more accurate

ransos
    Free Member

that’s putting it mildly. completely un-usuable would be more accurate

Ha! What I do now is leave navigation disabled and just follow the line on the map. It still beeps if you go the wrong way.

Does anyone know of software that works well for creating off-road routes?

craig24
    Free Member

Garmin Edge Touring, had an Etrex 20 and the Edge is miles better.

deejayen
    Free Member

Has anyone used the SatMap 12?

I use Garmins for road cyclig, but theought the SatMap might be better off-road, although perhaps other Garmins offer similar/better features now.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

interesting to see that the dakota 20 is rated, i’d been looking at those on ebay.

talkytoaster too id heard good things about.

Duc
    Free Member

Satmap 12 is pretty good – good detail and easy to zoom but the maps are eye watering expensive

scotroutes

Dakota is a great option if you are happy with the screen size. I upgraded to an Oregon.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Main thing with the satmap is the default bike mount puts in very high on the bars. I use one of the bar fly universal out front mounts to put a satmap 10 in front and lower

rossburton
    Free Member

Does anyone know of software that works well for creating off-road routes?

ridebygps and bikehike let you plot arbitrary points on a map and even add your own cues.

nedrapier

scotroutes, how do you use your Oregon for navigation off road? I don’t like using the navigation function, because it overlays a thick purple line over your route, so you don’t know if you’re looking for a turning onto a track, path, unmarked sheeptrack/cheeky built singletrack.

Just having the route traced on the screen is pretty good, but it eats the batteries if you’re constantly drawing maps on the screen, and doesn’t give an off route warning if you miss a turn an you’ve only got the data fields up.

Found a good compromise?

nedrapier

ridebygps and bikehike let you plot arbitrary points on a map and even add your own cues.

Garmin Basecamp takes a little more learning, but can be easier/quicker when you’ve got the hang of it, especially for longer routes.

hora
    Free Member

OK Etrex20 (cost) seems a fair price on Amazon..

So Where do I load/find existing good routes – is there an online resource where you can download as you want a ride?

gigawhat
    Free Member

i’m selling a etrex 20 if you are interested, email in profile.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Hora your a nutter just buy one its been 7 years now

jruk
    Free Member

I use Viewranger with the map tiles download to my phone so just need a GPS signal. Got me 105km across Dartmoor just dandy. Best to plan to the route on a decent size screen but the App route editor is pretty good. For bugger all money it’s worth a crack (their support is also really good if you need it).

hora
    Free Member

Blimey I can’t believe how long I’ve dithered.

Etrex20 X bought. Time for Lakes rides.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@james 🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

I use a bog basic garmin 200.

Just plot a route online, copy to device and it gives you a bread crumb trail to follow.

Dead easy as you know which way to turn and it bleeps at you if you go off piste or make a wrong turn.

I pair it with mmtracker on my phone (airplane mode) if I ever need a real map or change routes.

Best thing I ever bought.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a 820 so have a 800 up for grabs. If I can find the sensors it will include cadence / speed and hrm. Boxed too, and I think I put OSM on it via talkytoaster. Hadn’t used it in a while as got a 1000 when they first came up, that recently got nicked, so went back to the 800 and it works great. Has a few marks here and there as you’d expect.

hora
    Free Member

@jambalaya thanks to you I can’t afford a 820

😆

dovebiker

I have an Oregon 600 – bigger/better screen than 800/810, better navigation functions plus it takes AA batteries for multi-day trips. In terms of routing, you can adjust the size and colour of your ‘worm’ to follow.

simondbarnes

I find the Edge Touring really good for off road navigation. I’ve done at least half a dozen new to me routes in the Lake District with it and it’s been spot on.

mcnultycop

Thanks to this thread I’ve just ordered an Etrex 30x, forgetting I’d just spent £133 on two tickets for Kiss.

Oops.

legendof1973
    Free Member

I’m thinking about buying an Edge Touring plus. Is it easy enough to load GPX files on to it as I’ll be mainly using it for mountain biking so hopefully taking routes off Strava etc.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Loading GPX to the Edge is as easy as dropping a file in the right folder when it’s connected to a computer via USB. It can be finicky about file format though so there are a few tricks to getting routes created by others to work.

legendof1973
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. Do you find the navigatton reliable?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Best off road GPS route device?’ is closed to new replies.