Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best non DSLR for biking?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hi all

I’m looking to get a new camera that takes high quality images in a relatively compact format.

I currently have a Lumix TZ20 and am at the point where I want something that delivers better image quality in low light and better captures action.

Does anyone have any recommendations (sample images taken would be good too) such as the Lumix G Series, the Sony Nex series or similar?

Cheers and thanks

Sanny

mrplow
    Free Member

I have a Sony Nex. Takes great static pics but can be tricky to get good action shots as it does not have phase AF. The sensor can do it but you need to have the shot setup and know where you are focusing. This can be frustrating compared to a DSLR.

kiwijohn

Fuji X20.

robj20
    Free Member

Sony RX100, best quality in a point and shoot form factor.

nigelb001
    Free Member

+1 Fuji X20

I’ve been using an X10 for over a year. Reasonably small, all the facilities you need, great image quality and focusses great since a firmware update a while ago (there were a few problems before but never really got in the way). With zoom ring on the lens, a viewfinder and exposure compensation on a top dial great for people used to an SLR. Its my goto camera now, the SLR system generally gets left in the cupboard. I used to use a NEX before, small but still too cumbersome to carry around all the time so sold it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use a nex but it’s not great for action.

Nikon 1 series would be the tool for the job.

Sanny
    Free Member

Any sample images guys?

kiwijohn

I only have the X10, but the improved autofocus & viewfinder on the X20 look like a great improvement.
    But I’m going back to film…

metalheart
    Free Member

I did extensive research (see here : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-compact-camera-3) 😉

I ended up with the S100 as it was smaller and £180 cheaper. It’s been replaced with the S110 which has added Wireless transfer but essentially the same. Just seen it on WEX for £320 with £20 cash back.

The RX seems to be winning the best compact category atm and if I was buying one today I’d probably get that instead 🙂

The retractable lens is great as the best camera is the one you have in your hand. And you can easily stow either in a pocket so it’s easy to get at too.

I don’t have any action shots but I’ll happily send you a link to my Flickr site set if you want (all post processed and reduced in size but I could send you the unadulterated file of any specific one if you wanted).

nigelb001
    Free Member

Any sample images guys?

Don’t know what you are hoping to glean from small photos posted on here. Go onto some of the better review sites like dpreview or stevehuffphoto and look at hi-res samples.

anthonyb
    Free Member

Ive a nex 6 (which does have phase detect AF) as well as the ability to shoot 12fps RAW in speed prority mode. It does a great alround job for capturing both stills and video, whilst still being very portable. The powerzoom on the kit lens is also usefull for video as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus XZ-1 for low light
    Olympus TG-1, cos it’s tough and waterproof etc.

lornholio
    Free Member

the best camera is the one you have in your hand

So true. S90/95/100/110 and don’t look back.

robj20
    Free Member

Any sample images guys?

RX100 samples.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rx100/pool/

99% of the time its the camera i reach for even over my dslr, its just easy to take everywhere but produces stunning images.

Radioman

Agree Sony RX100 is superb. I bought that instead of small DSLR. The proper leather case for it is great but expensive

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Sanny, I went for the Lumix GF1. It´s ace. I still just have the 20mm lens and all the shots on my website and all my videos were done with that. I´ve also got 2 POD´s on pinkbike with it. The 14-42 power zoon is about the same size as the 20mm. Easily fits in a little bag on my rucksack straps but not in my pocket. Seems to last to the abuse well. I think that the successor to that camera is the GX1 which I believe is about the same size.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best non DSLR for biking?’ is closed to new replies.