Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Best natural (and legal) descents in England?
  • dangerousdan
    Free Member

I have a road trip itch that needs scratching.

Due to a new baby, a long trek to Wales or Scotland is out of the question.

So I’m looking for something closer to home. Anyone got any suggestions for the best natural descents in England – I’m guessing we’re talking Lakes, Dales or Peaks.

Ta.

trailmonkey

I’m guessing we’re talking Lakes, Dales or Peaks

Well the lakes obviously, nothing else in Englnd comes close. After that then eastern Dartmoor and the Quantocks are as good as anything else in England, enjoy a better climate, less traffic and both are completely unique.

montylikesbeer

Cross fell summit down to Garagill

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The downhill from Little Dunn fell to Blencarn (Pennines/Cumbria) is high on my list,see the Crossfell article I did with Chipps in this months Singletrack mag,one of the longest downhills in england,and “the world”! according to chipps.. 😉

(The route is heavily dependant on weather, and ground conditions, so its best done early or late in the year in dry conditions,before the bracken gets tall)hth enjoy 8)

[/url]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Lakes – seem to recall parkamoor being v good techy descent
    Peaks – did Cute Gate a few weeks ago in dry conditions, south to north is a luvvly long techy descent. well, when I say descent, the gradient is always slightly down hill for miles, enough to make it great fun.
    Dales I’m struggling with.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Dales: The two either side of Old Cote Moor?

slowrider
    Free Member

Sticks pass in the lakes is a real treat, long, flowy, techy, steep, rocky, narrow, open etc etc, a real mix of stuff in one long descent

The peaks is more about combining several decent descents in one ride than one big up and down. There’s loads to chose from and plenty of locals willing to show you the best bits

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Quantox have some of my favourites, as good as anything anywhere really. 🙂

lowey

Hmm..

Walna Scar to Coniston.
    Skiddaw just for it length and loss of height.
    Great Sca Fell to Longlands Gate.
    Nan Beild to Kentmere (the switch backs)
    Gatesgarth to Haweswater
    Grizedale Tarn to Patterdale.
    Grandad, Dad and Dentist – Grizedale
    Parkamoor – Nibthwaite – Grizedale
    Breasty Haw – Grizedale.
    Brock Barrow to Newfield Inn – Duddon Valley
    Burnmoor Tarn to Boot.

San Marino – Winter hill
    Jacobs Ladder.

trout
    Free Member

Lowey whats and where grandad,dad n dentist ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

lowey is correct but there is a far better cheeky descent from Skiddaw

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Best using what criteria?
    The best for me so far has been from helvellyn past dollywaggon pike down to Patterdale. Haven’t felt so good after a descent in a long time.

bajsyckel

Cross Fell down to Garrigill? That’s only just in the top three descents off that hill, let alone in Ingerlund – see recommendation from GavGas.

Of all the recommendations that are here, I don’t think I could say any would rate as the best for me (Lowey’s list includes some good ones). Someone’s bound to mention the Calf down Bowderdale (great) soon or High Street (north – which is dull riding, though otherwise fine).

For a bit of everything in one go, Helvellyn via the Dodds to the Old Coach Road, in deep-freeze conditions, riding above the clouds with a temperature inversion is memorable. Some rocky bits higher up, fast pedally bits lower down, stunning scenery, reasonably long (~10km), reasonable drop (~700m). Then again, you can make a case for at least two other legal routes being ‘better’ starting from the same summit (however Sticks or Keppel Cove are not amongst them). Variety is the spice of life after all.

duntmatter
    Free Member

dirtbiker100 – Member

Best using what criteria?
    The best for me so far has been from helvellyn past dollywaggon pike down to Patterdale. Haven’t felt so good after a descent in a long time.

Using what criteria? 🙂

dangerousdan
    Free Member

Only criteria for me are awesomeness and fun factor – descents that leave you grinning like a goon, knackered and slightly relieved to have survived.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I agree with the Dollywagon to Patterdale descent,its one of the best downhills ever,that said,if your not familiar with riding in the lakes its maybe not ideal as a one off first ride.

loweys routes are a great introduction to lakes riding.. 🙂

Wookster

The gap for epically fast long rock run?? I know it’s Wales sorry!!

kevj
    Free Member

One that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the descent into Gunnerside.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ha ha yeah sorry duntmatter – technical, i’ve gone for the hardest rideable descent i know of. (if anyone knows of others please tell me!)

but i suppose best should include the best of every aspect – tricky rocks, roots, high speed, drops, super steep and that gentle slope where you can can tootle along at a steady 25mph without pedalling

colournoise

Wookster – Member
    The gap for epically fast long rock run?? I know it’s Wales sorry!!

South heading north or north heading south?

slainte ❓ rob

rob2
    Free Member

The woods behind the nationwide in Swindon?

🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

They’re pretty good these days actually rob2!
    /edit. well for a flat trail that is. possibly not best descent in the uk…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Just back from a week in the Lakes taking in as many descents as we could:

+1 for Grizedale Tarn to Patterdale (though I havent done other Helvellyn descents). As good a piece of techie singletrack as I’ve ridden anywhere.

Shame about the Dollywagon to Grizedale Tarn section above, unless you have the trials skills required for the drainage ditches you’ll find it frustrating.

+1 for the various Grizedale Forest descents too – several are really excellent and easily linked up with bridleways and TNF trail. Fox, Breasty Haw, Riverbed, Parkamoor (as above) etc

Watendlath to Rosthaite (stating the bleeding obvious I know).

Jenkins Crag is a bit short, but will make you smile.

Garburn Pass – a bit samey and loose for me, but good fun.

Long Heights to Colthouse (Claife Heights) turned out to be good too – fast and open, not techie, but quick.

Seldom Seen trail in Whinlatter is worth a ride if you’re at the trail centre.

Non-Lakes…

I’d also add Limestone Link on the Mendips – Beacon Batch trig point to the A38 near Churchill – sounds unlikely, but it really is good (and about 3 miles pretty much continuous downhill – not bad for the outskirts of Bristol.

+ Too many in Porlock / Horner Woods to mention – but they obviously dont have the length of the Lakes runs.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Rosset gill and red pike, quite tech but good fun, probly most gnar in lakes unless anyone knows any better ones please let me know! 8)

Wookster

Colournoise……..eh need to have a look at the os again but but climbed the smooth section from The South from talybont reservoir and then decended the north side. Did it on the black mountains three day just a brilliant event!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Think the best descent I’ve done was from the top of the Old Man of Coniston, down to Coniston village, absolutely brilliant!

Burls72
    Free Member

I’ve always thought the best descent off Hellvellyn was via Birk Side as I can do all of that. Agree that Dollywaggen would be better if I could ride it, would like to see it done, perhaps one day when i’m good enough 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Another couple of good ones at Grizedale:

From the trig point all the way down to the farm near the visitors centre (you have to cross 2 fire roads though)

And Ickenthwaite.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

+1 for the walna scar road, I think it is one of my favourite descents in the uk!!

Dine most of the passes in the lakes and we did the loop around great gable which includes honister pass (we took road up and off road down), the pass that goes over haystacks that I can’t remember the name of, black sail pass and then sty head which I must say was bloody excellent! Very difficult hike a bike up ost of it but the descents were too good!!! That was anti clockwise btw

Did a loop taking in garburn, nan bield and gatesgarth pass which was also very good!! That was also anti clockwise

Dirt biker? Is that because there has been so many recommendations from here an awesome network of trails has developed from everyone exploring it haha!

walleater

Whichever one it is, it won’t be the best for long after people read this and skid down it on their Ragleys and On-Ones 😉

Drac

agentdagnamit you need to go back and do Garburn when the sanitised bits have washed out again.

Lowey has saved me typing, just in from a weekend on the Lakes. Parkamoor was spot on have some video footage but rode it like a jessy and so it’s rather embarrassing.

lowey

Paul, the thread says legal, otherwise the list would be endless. Which route of ther old man did you take? Tourist track? I’ve often thought that would be a cracker.

yunki
    Free Member

come on then Drac..
    post the vid.. you can always say that you picked your way down carefully..

Drac

come on then Drac..
    post the vid.. you can always say that you picked your way down carefully..

Needs editing probably not get the chance to the end of the week, I have better excuses than that but in reality I wasn’t riding my best.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One Word

Dollywaggon

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Best natural (and legal) descents in England?’ is closed to new replies.