Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best NAS drive?
  • Pook

For streaming music? Any suggestions?

wwaswas

Very happy with my Seagate GoFlex for streaming and backups.

I do use it on a wired part of my network though rather than via the wi-fi connection.

Pook

Hmm – I think we’d be wanting to use it wireless and just lump it in a cupboard somewhere

wwaswas

should still be ok for music – my son uses it with his ipod like that.

bails

It would have to be plugged into the router to do that though, wouldn’t it? Not a problem if your router is in the same cupboard.

wwaswas

sorry, yes – it’ll need to be wired to the main router in all cases, it’s just how other devcies access the router that changes.

Haze

Bought a Synology (DS-112J) after favourable reviews here and elsewhere, it’s been perfect so far.

I’d recommend running it wired (as in connecting to it wired) if you can though, particularly if you’re going to transferring files on a regular basis.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I’ve got a Synology, highly recommended

surrealguy
    Free Member

I was bought a Thecus N2200Plus. It has poor performance, functionality and support & a practically non-existant community of similarly frustrated users. Avoid.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Synology.

Budget-wise, start of the pretty good (and fast) NAS enclosures. Stick a slow/cheap/cool 5,400rpm drive in, the NAS will be the limited factor even with a quick Synology.

nicko74

Netgear ReadyNas has come up previously when I’ve asked a similar question on here, and is on my shortlist.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have no experience of other NAS but I bought a linksys media hub a while back becaues it was heaviy discounted. It supports DNLA, Windows filesharing, ftp, and remote access (although I dunno why that’s not just port forwrding but ok).

All configurable, has a nice web interface to browse stuff as well as the above. I only got it for backups, so I turned the rest of it off 🙂

Runs linux and I think it could be customised if need be.

faz083
    Free Member

QNAP are really decent. Replication and access control is very easy to manage.

nickdavies

I’ve got a Western Digital Livebook duo, 2TB useable space in mirrored raid. Plugs into the router in the cupboard, sits happily feeding all my videos, music etc out to my mac/iphone etc. all wirelessly. Works really well but not cheap at about £270.

Markie
    Free Member

NetGear ReadyNAS here, an Ultra 2+.

Great for what I want (media streaming to Squeezebox stuff and a smart tv, shared storage of a few files, local backup).

The things about it that annoy me are that it’s not indexable by Windows 7 (I have to use an old version of Google computer search) and I cant add folders on it to my Win 7 Libraries. Minor for sure – but still annoying!

Cletus

I have a Qnap which is great and the manufacturer keeps adding features via (free) firmware upgrades. It has apps for Apple and Android media playback.

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ here – not the most lightning quick box in the world, even after upgrading the memory from 256M to 1GB. However, it has good support for Logitech Media Server (we have one receiver and a radio which we stream music to). I can also play films saved there on through the PS3 without any lag whatsoever.

If I were buying now, I think I’d go Synology purely from what’s supported on that platform.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Another one to avoid…
    I had a 4TB western digital my book world 2. Forever locking up and didnt like shifting files larger than 1GB

Sold it. I dont bother streaming now, just have a large external drive for backups.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

It’s official. “What NAS?” is the new “What Tyres?”

Markie
    Free Member

Wow, the Synology has a great looking interface… my ReadyNas is pretty industrial in that respect.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best NAS drive?’ is closed to new replies.