Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Best Multivitamins?
  • Kryton57

Multi bionta sport did nothing for me, but Centrum performance has me buzzing today.

Placebo or real?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Does it matter if the affect is the same?

rewski
    Free Member

Don’t know but I want some.

scaredypants

placebo – vitamins don’t get you buzzing at all
    Is this after 1 dose ? 😯

grum
    Free Member

Unless you have some specific deficiency or condition, vitamins aren’t really going to do anything at all.

Centrum performance has me buzzing today.

😀

Kryton57

Well these do have GinSeng so I assumed it was that.

footflaps

I thought the general medical consensus was that, at best, vitamins / supplements do no harm. In some cases they have been shown to increase the rates of some illnesses eg Cancer and increase the mortality rate of people with such illnesses.

Kryton57

Oh, great.

geoffj

footflaps +1

Specific risks around prostrate cancer IIRC

maccruiskeen

I thought the general medical consensus was that, at best, vitamins / supplements do no harm. In some cases they have been shown to increase the rates of some illnesses eg Cancer and increase the mortality rate of people with such illnesses.

Ah, but thats the medical consensus. We’re talking here about the marketing consensus in which the condition of feeling indefinably blaaaah can be remedied in no actually specific way by taking tablets or eating sugary little pots of yogurt. And then you’ll feel better than well. (or am i getting mixed up with sanitary towels?)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good diet?

FieldMarshall

In some cases they have been shown to increase the rates of some illnesses eg Cancer and increase the mortality rate of people with such illnesses.

Really. Be interested to read that. As everything ive read suggests that a intake of high levels of nutrients, vitamins and minerals protects against cancer and can even reverse “terminal” cancer.

However, you need to make sure they are correctly balanced as too much of one or another can lead to deficiencies in others. Maybe that is what is happening with some supplements.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

2nd just eat well.

…unless you have a medical reason, and then your doc will sort it out.

Im no expert but I thought terminal cancers were terminal and a vitamin wont help! Cancer sufferers are given high doses of vitamins and minerals, but only because the treatment destroys their natural stores.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Here’s quackwatch on vitamins/cancer

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pauling.html

It’s pretty devastating.

hmanchester
    Free Member

I take vitamin D, but only because of the terrible sun exposure chances of having an office job in Manchester.

If you have a decent varied diet, including meat, you shouldn’t really be deficient in anything.

1 tablet and buzzing? Not from the vits. Unless you got in the sun for the first time this year today?

footflaps

Really. Be interested to read that. As everything ive read suggests that a intake of high levels of nutrients, vitamins and minerals protects against cancer and can even reverse “terminal” cancer.

There’s a chapter on the subject in Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. The specific trial was anti-oxidants. It was text book double blind placebo etc. They abandoned it early at a midway review as the results were so conclusive. Cancer and mortality was up in those taking the real supplements.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Also read “The Health Delusion” which almost follows on from Bad Science – nearly everything stated in the book is backed by trial data or the equivalent.

Vitamin D seems to be one where most people are pretty deficient in, and 72% of the bodies tissues have receptors for it, so we are basically gagging for it/sunlight. That book reckons the UK RDA on vit D is 1/3rd of what it should be/what it is in Canada, and that a huge financial crisis is looming because of it and the healthcare costs it implies.

Vit D seems to be vital for people suffering from depression – ask Cinnamon girl as she is always mentioning it.

footflaps

Vit D seems to be vital for people suffering from depression

I’ve not read of any studies looking at this (as in large scale double blind placebo types). Got a reference?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve not read of any studies looking at this (as in large scale double blind placebo types). Got a reference?

just google Vitamin D depression…

soobalias
    Free Member

doesnt the price and advertising tell you all you need to know.

spend more its better for you.

MrBlond
    Free Member

FAO FieldMarshall (first one I found on Google)

http://www.cansa.org.za/files/2013/02/B-carotene-and-lung-cancer.pdf

WackoAK
    Free Member

If you have a decent varied diet, including meat, you shouldn’t really be deficient in anything.

🙄

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And taking supplements is not the same as getting the vitamins and nutrients you need from food/sunlight either. In some cases it can be detrimental, see that book for examples where the control group end up with more cancer/illnesses than the ones on the diet.

zilog6128

I take probiotics, cod liver oil and vit D. I think these are worth taking. Other vitamins/supplements, not so much (probably). IANAD.

FieldMarshall

I used to be 100% sceptical about supplements, but after suffering with ME for 10 years and having not been given any effective diagnosis of the underlying cause or treatment by my GP, I enlisted the help of a nutritionist.

I was put on a different diet (very different to what the government/NICE etc recommends) and also recommended to take certain supplements.

3 years on and I am fully recovered. Whereas most people I know that have chronic illness (some with ME/CFS) and are still being treated by the NHS are no better but are just about managing their symptoms.

However, to give some balance my nutrionist/clinic does not support long term use of supplements apart from probiotics, Vit D, Vitamin C and EFAs.

I agree that a balanced healthy diet is the key, but there is no guarantee of the nutrient value of that food, given the way food is stored, transported etc. Unless of course you grow your own and only buy food that it is very local. Which is not always prcatical.

_tom_
    Free Member

Berocca cos it gives you awesome luminous piss.

molgrips
    Free Member

3 years on and I am fully recovered.

ME does often go away on its own, doesn’t it?

Not knocking supplements though generally, mind. From what I’ve read they do end up in your blood, and if you are deficient in something then they can fix it, but you shouldn’t rely on them of course, and they aren’t magic. That is, taking a million grammes of vitamin C with ginseng, crystals and St John’s Widdle won’t cure brain tumours etc etc.

I’ve noticed it being somewhat easier to get up in the morning if I take Centrum Performance the night before though. Of course it’s not a proper trial and it’s highly subjective, but it’s made me think. Fish oil seems to also have a positive effect on my wellbeing.

Kryton – how’s the weight doing?

Kryton57

Molgrips 3lbs and 1% fat gone. :-). In 2 weeks!

molgrips
    Free Member

Good stuff. Mrs Grips is currently shedding loads on the iDave diet. I’ve been struggling to balance training and eating, but I’ll be back on the KBs now so we’ll see how that goes.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Studies on vitamin D + depression, knock yourself out

FieldMarshall

ME does often go away on its own, doesn’t it?

I think it’s difficult to generalise. Depends what the underlying cause/trigger is, i.e. predominantly pyschological, physical or a combination.

My ME waxed and wained for many years, but never truly abated. And at its worst was totally debilitating.

I clearly had a number of underlying nutrional deficiencies from malabsorption, wrong diet for me etc. What it wasn’t was a virus, which I was told for ten years was the case by the NHS, even though they could never tell me which one or find any trace of it. LOL.

Anyway, this is going off topic.

I’ll never know whether it was simply the change in diet that made me better or the supplements or perhaps a bit of both. But I’m not as anti them as I was. But also dont think putting anything synthetic into your body is a good idea long term, be that a supplement or a mainstream drug.

Kryton57

Aha. I am a high anxiety depressive – so that may be why I feel lifted by (particularly sport orientated) multi vits.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Way more likely it’s other lifestyle factors Kryton57.

Get a good night sleep?
    Get some sun?
    What food did you eat recently?
    What drink (or substances) didn’t you drink recently?!
    Any viruses or infections that you are recovering/recovered from recently?
    Etc.

Kryton57

Nothing changed really, poor nights sleep, started work at 7, rode at 1, at granola for breakfast (as usual) has 2 cappacino before the (as usual).

hmanchester
    Free Member

Then who knows!

Sort your sleep though fella. It’s crazily important!

Kryton57

2 kids, one 6 months old and the other 4yo keeps having nightmares about Dragon flies 😐

hmanchester
    Free Member

That makes it tough. I feel for you.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Best Multivitamins?’ is closed to new replies.