Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • best mudguards for 26" rigid commuter?
  • tor5
    Free Member

I’m fed up of getting soaked on the commute, so can anyone recommend mudguards for a 26″ MTB? There are mounts at the rear and it’s fitted with an on-one rigid fork (steel), IIRC there are no mounts on that.

Thanks!

Northwind

IIRC I used SKS Bluemels or Chromoplastics on mine, very good. There’s ways to bodge up mounts on the fork, using p-clips or similiar.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

SKS clip on black plastic guards can be had for under a tenner and do the job very well. I drilled my fork (Planet X but same as On One) to mount the bracket and it hasn’t killed me in the 8 years since.

medoramas
    Free Member

Or Crud Raceguard set with extra Mudhugger on front. Positioning the Crud Catcher quote low (more less just above bottle cage height) helps keeping the “rider’s front end” clean 😆 This is my Autumn-Winter set-up not just for commuting.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve just hit the buy button on SKS Cromoplastics at £27.99 from CRC

Never have I been more excited about such a dull object 😳

amedias
    Free Member

Chromoplastics all the way for permanent fit guards, solid reliable and surprisingly resilient/strong.

Can be a bit fiddly to fit if you’re a bit of a fumbler, but not really that bad, and once fitted they just work.

ransos
    Free Member

SKS bluemels here, a bit fiddly to fit, but completely problem free once done. I bought a mudflap extension for the rear guard to keep spray off the baby trailer.

tor5
    Free Member

Thanks peeps, will order tonight. Chances of reverse-mockers causing a couple of weeks of dry weather? Or does it not work for rain gear?

Northwind

Does anyone actually know what the difference is between bluemels and cromoplastics? Buggered if I know which one is which, got one set of each…

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you’re commuting on a dedicated bike don’t waste your time with clip ons. Get the proper job, they are so much better than clipon and IMO look better / tidier.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I got a set of the SKS Commuter guards cheap from a PSA but wouldn’t buy them again as they’re a bit flimsy. Bluemels look much better.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Northwind:

Chromoplastics have 2 metal strips in which allow you to power a light by using the metal strips as wires.

bluemels do not have this, and are often a little cheaper as a result.

Northwind

Ah! Cool. Pointless for me, but cool. Cheers!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘best mudguards for 26" rigid commuter?’ is closed to new replies.