Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best MTB for Bedgebury
  • evomatt
    Free Member

Hi,

Does anyone out there regularly ride Bedgebury in Kent? If so what do you think is the ideal bike for Bedge?

I currently ride a 2010 Whyte905 HT, but have often wondered if a full sus would be more fun? I’m 40+ and no trail ripper, but I love pushing hard within my own limits and sometimes find the HT 26er a bit unforgiving over the rooty-rocky stuff.

I’ve been thinking about a Whyte T129s (29er) or a Whyte T130s (650b), but any thought’s would be interesting…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends…I live nearby and have ridden Bedgebury on a Marin Wolf Ridge, a Spesh Camber and an old skool Enduro.

There’s nothing there that’ll tax a hardtail overly, but a full suss will be more comfortable. Why not hire one there and see what you think?

tenfoot

Hi – I have ridden Bedgebury on both.

I spent around a year riding exclusively hardtails around there with no problem. As you know it’s not particularly steep, and a lot of the trail has been resurfaced, with many of the rooty sections replaced.

I have ridden it, also on my 140 mm full sus bike, but it’s probably overkill for the trail. I do tend to ride faster on the full sus though, and don’t feel as beaten up (47 yo)

I would think that a low travel full sus, such as an Anthemn would be perfect for Bedgers.

daver27
    Free Member

ridden it on 140mm trail bikes and 150mm trail bikes.

Next time i go i’ll be on the cross bike and do a few laps as anything big and heavy with suspension is totally pointless there

plumber
    Free Member

I think a skateboard would be ideal – such a waste of effort that place

ive only ever done it SS rigid though

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Hardtail is the only way to go there, maybe a CX bike I suppose.

evomatt
    Free Member

I’m sure Bedge must seem tame to many, but it’s about right for my level of fitness and adventure.

I’ve been HT’ing there for 5 years, but I see a lot of full-sus there too. Maybe it’s the 45yo in me that thinks they look more comfy. I’ll just have to take a test bike there.

I see a few 29er HTs there too. Any thoughts on the 26, 27.5, 29 debate. I know somepeople say 29ers are better for tall folk – I’m 5’9″.

acid877
    Free Member

I’m local to Bedgebury so I’ve have ridden various bikes there. I currently ride a 150mm full sus which is definitely overkill but I only have one bike to choose from!

A 120mm full sus would be the perfect choice if you just ride at Bedgebury, which is what I used to ride there (an old Stumpjumper). This is definitely more comfortable than a Hardtail, which was my first bike.

I know Bedgebury is very easy in terms of a graded trail centre but saying a CX bike is suitable for it might be taking things to the other extreme. Unless I’m incorrect in which case please upload a video of you doing both the blacks there. (Once again I know the blacks are more like Reds but still, not suitable for CX!)

simongs
    Free Member

Like a few other posters here I’m a Bedge regular. I don’t enjoy my FS there as it removes a lot of the feedback. Most satisfying to ride is an old school steel frame with no suspension – you really have to take care of the front tyre. Most fun is my singlespeed hardtail. If my back hurts I stand on the pedals more 😀 I’m 50+ btw

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im convinced that whatever bike you have is the right one to ride wherever you are going.
    People are getting too hung up on the bike / tyres / wheelsize etc. Obviously some stuff is going to be inappropriate like a road bike or possibly DH bike, but these are extremes.
    Its not the riders fault, but the industry which feeds people’s insecurities by telling them without x,y & z they wont be able to ride beyond the pavement without exploding into a shower of penguins and emus.
    If you’re happy with your current bike great, if you fancy a FS bike fine go for it, but do it because thats what you want to do, not because you’ll be better or whatever.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Yeah ride what ever you like.

Cross bike is fun and fast but pretty rattly

I set a lap record (32min20s) a couple of years back on a 100mm 26’er hardtail.

Blue pig (150mm) is also fun but personally I think a bike you can peddle fast is the key to getting some thrills out of the place.

Speed makes everywhere awesome.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I would say you only really need a hardtail there. I have a whyte905 2010 too, and it is perfect for that kind of stuff, hardtail is most fun there.

They seem to be making everything there more like a blue graded trail! so annoying.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best MTB for Bedgebury’ is closed to new replies.