Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Best mtb county (not country…)
  • scruff
    Free Member

Cannock is excellent but I don’t know about the rest of Staffordshire

Southern Peak district is in Staffordshire, and its next to Shropshire so that makes it better then Yorkshire at least.

DaRC_L

very Wales centric I know but that is where I have ridden most on mountainbiking holidays. Need to head to Scotland and the North in general I know.

Yeah I’m keen on Wales, always feel the hate for England/the English from the Scots contingent… which puts me off.
    Yes the Welsh hate the English but it’s not so far to go 😈

edhornby

gotta be yorkshire – the county is split by riding 😀

badoomtish

tomhoward

Marin county?

scotroutes

Yeah I’m keen on Wales, always feel the hate for England/the English from the Scots contingent… which puts me off.
    Yes the Welsh hate the English but it’s not so far to go

There was a lot of hate in Newton Stewart at the weekend. Just as well as the Royal Marines were deployed to keep the peace.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Well last year I had the option to move anywhere on the Country. I’ve ridden pretty much every County on the list so far and my choice of location was based mainly on the riding in the area.

I now live in Perthshire.

And in ten months I’ve not had any anti English stuff at all.

IdleJon

milky1980 – Member

Maybe Carmarthenshire third?

There have been 2 mentions of Carmarthenshire.

Why?

Other than a couple of trail centres there’s not much riding worth a trip. In fact, I’d go as far as saying that it may be one of the worst counties in Wales for MTBing. Those of us who live further east often quiz Carms locals about their riding and generally come away no wiser.

(I lived in Whitland and Carmarthen itself for a while so I’d love to know what glut of riding I missed! 😆 )

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Edited because it wasn’t really that funny.

sprocker
    Free Member

In the trend of voting where you live its Derbyshire for me, I take a liberal approach to where I am allowed to ride

brassneck

Devon
    Devon
    Devon

Just for Dartmoor really. I don’t even live there. Plus you can surf in under a hour, swim in rivers, bouldering.. gah, really do need to move there.

tang
    Free Member

Gloucestershire: Cotswold hills, huge beech woods and FOD.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cumbria
    Yorkshire
    Lancashire

From that list

Obviously Scotland would win if it was UK wide

Devon 😯
    I lived there and its ok. However it is hampered by the lack of mountains

ryderredman
    Free Member

tang – Member
    Gloucestershire: Cotswold hills, huge beech woods and FOD.

POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I was waiting for someone to say this so I can pounce on them. I can’t judge as I’ve mainly only ridden cleeve, however I will, because thats how I am.

This place of southern England doesn’t seem to handle rain very well, leading to a clay like substance which you can *ride* on in the winter (I say this as its mostly like rolling a turd through cotton). Meaning you can only ride when it hasn’t been raining. Whats the point in that.

grum
    Free Member

No-one’s mentioned Derbyshire, which contains most of the Peak District. Odd.

That’s because lots of the riding in the Peak District is fairly dull. Blatting down rubbly doubletrack isn’t really that amazing.

I’d go:

1. Ross & Cromarty (Torridon)
    2. Cumbria
    3. Yorkshire

Admittedly never ridden much down south. FOD was quite pleasant I guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

Neath
    Snowdonia
    Carmathenshire

Only one of which is a county 🙂

Derbyshire, because of it’s size
    Surrey, perhaps, due to woodsy singletrack
    But I think you’d have to go a fair way to beat Powys, South of the border at least.

jim
    Free Member

Yorkshire isn’t a county, you’ll all need to pick one of the three.

/pedantry

grum
    Free Member

Yorkshire isn’t a county, you’ll all need to pick one of the three.

/pedantry

The original counties were never technically abolished, just changed for administrative purposes.

/pedantry

Trekster

tomd – Member
    Surely the Scottish Borders should win this hands down

– Open access
    – Variety of terrain: large forests, hills & coastal paths
    – Lots of trails centres, e.g. Glentress with all the extra gnarrrr enduro trails
    – Quiet with few people
    [/quote]
    Dumfries & Galloway or Dumfriesshire

Just happens to be close to Cumbria and the Lakes 😆

roverpig – Member
    Anywhere that doesn’t allow you to ride a bike on most of the interesting trails is a crap area for mountain biking if you ask me. So that rules out all of England I reckon.

Have you not seen where people are riding in the Lakes nowadays ❓

grum
    Free Member

Weren’t many of the historic Counties altered or abolished by local government reorganisations in the 1960s and 1970s?

It is a commonly held misconception that the local government changes of the 1960s and 1970s actually altered the historic Counties of Britain. In fact they did no such thing.

Modern local authority areas were only created in 1889 (in England and Wales) and 1890 (in Scotland). Initially these areas were closely based upon the historic Counties. However, they were always understood to be separate entities from the Counties themselves and, indeed, had separate terminology: they were labeled “administrative counties” and “county boroughs”. Nobody ever confused the local government areas with the historic Counties themselves. After all, the Counties of England had, by 1889, already been in existence for over 800 years (many for centuries longer). Those of Wales and Scotland had also been fixed in name and area for several centuries.

The local government reorganisations of the 1960s and 1970s abolished all the “administrative counties” and “county boroughs” and created a whole new set of local government areas. However, it did not alter or abolish the Counties themselves. In Scotland the new top tier administrative areas were called “regions”. However, in England and Wales the new top tier local government areas were, confusingly, labelled “counties”. It is this use of the word “county” to mean something other than the real historic Counties which lies at the root of the confusion of the last 40 years. Nonetheless, the government has consistently made it quite clear that these “counties” are simply narrow administrative areas created for a specific purpose and are not intended to be replacements for the traditional Counties in a cultural or geographical sense. For example, on 1st April 1974, a DoE spokesman said:

“The new county boundaries are solely for the purpose of defining areas of … local government. They are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of Counties, nor is it intended that the loyalties of people living in them will change.”

So Yorkshire is actually still a county in it’s own right.

mboy
    Free Member

Arguably two of the UK’s most successful MTBer’s for well over a decade both live in Malvern, and ride the Hills regularly.

That’s got to say something!

Got to say that, at the moment, the Wyre Forest is riding so well too (albeit it’s crap normally for 50 weeks a year!) that it has reminded me just how good this part of the country is for woodsy singletrack (my favourite kind of riding).

This place of southern England doesn’t seem to handle rain very well, leading to a clay like substance which you can *ride* on in the winter (I say this as its mostly like rolling a turd through cotton). Meaning you can only ride when it hasn’t been raining. Whats the point in that.

Got to call you on that one I’m afraid mate… There are localised area’s in Gloucs/Worcs that are very heavily clay based soil which makes them no good to ride in the winter, but there’s some real gems too… The Forst of Dean for instance certainly doesn’t suffer a heavy clay based soil!

Yep, definitely the best counties for rocky doubletrack on desolate, bleak moorland.

Goes to prove just how different “Mountain Biking” is to different people. And I largely agree! If mountain biking to you, means riding big mountains, then you won’t be happy unless you’ve spent most of your ride very exposed, above the tree lines, on big rocky terrain.

Personally that’s not my thing so much, but show me a new section of technical woodsy singletrack, and I’ll be your friend forever!

rob2
    Free Member

Id say Somerset too – specifically the south. Good for mtb and lovely for road rides too. Also easy to reach Wales if you want.

mrhoppy

I’d say Cumbria and Somerset are pretty good shouts if just for the diversity of riding available within them.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The original counties were never technically abolished, just changed for administrative purposes.

In that case, can I simply specify the Kingdom of Northumbria?

Followed by Westmorland and Cumberland?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Best mtb county (not country…)’ is closed to new replies.