Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best money no object saddle/seat post combo? Experiences and opinions please
  • wjames
    Free Member

Hi guys. Pretty much as the title suggests. I’m getting a new set of controls right from bars and grips to saddle and seatpost. I’ve sorted the front end but I’m undecided on the saddle and post combo.
    The two saddles currently on the short list are the 2013 bonty evoke rxl at 150g and the top specialized ronin at 169g.
    Anyone got experiences of these or have any other suggestions? Light weight and comfy please!
    As for the post, carbon is preferable. Looked at the race face next SL carbon for its simplicity. Otherwise an easton carbon post or something? Ideally, I would like a layback post but there seems to be very limited options?
    Have considered I beam but seems to work out heavier overall!
    Any thoughts much appreciated.
    Thanks

br
    Free Member

SDG I-Beam seat and post – I-Fly and carbon post (145g + 200g for a 350mm), and buy a fixed post clamp while you are at it 🙂

I run a heavier FX version, for all-day comfort. But I put the I-Fly on my sons bike and he’s fine with it.

2013 bonty evoke rxl at 150g

Is that for your saddle width, or the narrowest one?

wjames
    Free Member

150g is for the medium which is my width. It has “oversize rails” though but doesn’t say how big they actually are! Most posts accomodate either 7 or 8mm rails but even the bonty website doesn’t say. I assume they are 8mm?

I’ve heard mixed reviews about the I-Fly regards comfort on long rides. Guess it comes down to personal preference, but damn that weight is impressive! Do sdg to a carbon layback post? I can find alloy layback I beams but not carbon ones?

Thanks!

fr0sty
    Free Member

AX Lightness.

br
    Free Member

Do sdg to a carbon layback post? I can find alloy layback I beams but not carbon ones?

If you need a layback, your frame is the wrong size 🙂

There is a lot of back/forth movement on an I-Beam seat though.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I have the superstar carbon rail racer saddle. They claim 190g but mine is 159g comfy too! They are often reduced to ~£50-60

Obviously not ultimate bling. But well made, comfy, light and a third of the price of similar items. ?spend the change on some other light bits?

I have it on an FSA slk carbon post. the two together are comically light.

dannybgoode

Brooks Swift Ti on a Thomson post of your choosing. If the Swift is a bit narrow a Team Pro or B17

Honestly – the most comfort on a mountain bike going.

Cheers

Danny B

br
    Free Member

Brooks Swift Ti on a Thomson post of your choosing. If the Swift is a bit narrow a Team Pro or B17

Honestly – the most comfort on a mountain bike going.

Nope, disagree.

Formula FX I-Beam on an SDG carbon post (about 2″ of ‘movement’)

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a Bonty Evoke RXL Carbon thingy, used to use Phenoms, but actually find the Bonty excellent.

Ritchey Superlogic post for nice layback.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My USE Ti post and flite saddle give quite a bit of compliant movement which is nice – more than carbon.

On the FS I have a selle slr kit carbonio flow and thomson masterpiece post, so that’s pretty light and the saddle is quite comfortable.

Northwind

Going to go in a slightly different direction- love my Raceface Next SL. Not the lightest in the thread, by a fair bit, but it’s been on every bike I’ve owned at some point, even the downhill bikes, and other than it occasionally letting the saddle move on a bad crash or landing, it’s been bombproof. It’s quite tapered now from muddy saddle-dropping sadly so a bit past it but it’s gone miles beyond the call of duty. Would buy another, though it’s a new design.

monkeyboyjc

saddle – any that fits your bum
    seatpost – any that fits your frame / budget.

transporter13
    Free Member

Sdg belair ibeam seat and sdg ibeam post here. Nothing else even comes close IMO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best money no object saddle/seat post combo? Experiences and opinions please’ is closed to new replies.