• This topic has 142 replies, 92 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • Best metal album of the 80's?
  • RustySpanner

footflaps – Member

I just dropped off half the LPs listed above at the local charity shop…

Er….which one?

I’m going for this one.

richardk
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Aide memoire:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/warpigcat/the_top_100_heavy_metal_albums_of_the_80s__as_picked_by_the_metal_fans_of_the_world/

Thank you, that bought back some memories, and I’m now off to fill my Spotified devices to the brim.

However, some serious omissions from that list…

Voivod – Killing Technology

Reign in blood was my favourite at the time, that might change with some historical perspective though…

edlong
    Free Member

Well, as the thread has shown, first you have to have the argument about what is, or isn’t metal – bands like Sabbath, Deep Purple and Zep have consistently denied the label over the years, for example. And then what about bands where there’s a “metal” element, but the overall sound is more or different, so Faith No More, NIN, Jane’s Addiction, for example?

And once you resolve that, how are you defining ‘best’? Most successful? Most awards? Best distillation of influences up to that point, or most innovative / pushing things forward?

Maybe I’m over-thinking it?

My choice would be Jane’s Addiction – Nothing Shocking. Maybe not the most listened to, or the most listenable, or the most hard rockin’, but for its influence on what came after, and in particular for opening ears to other ways to use “metal” than in what was becoming, at that point in time an increasingly one dimensional genre.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’d have to sat Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets. Love Reign in Blood too, but there’s a couple of ‘meh’ tracks compared to Angel of Death and Raining Blood.

Most of my favourite albums are from the 90s – Chaos AD, Seasons in the Abyss, The Gathering, Sound of White Noise, Burn my Eyes, Demanufacture, Draconian Times, Far Beyond Driven, Astrocreep 2000. Those were the days…

doris5000

Most of my favourite albums are from the 90s – Chaos AD, Seasons in the Abyss, The Gathering, Sound of White Noise, Burn my Eyes, Demanufacture, Draconian Times, Far Beyond Driven, Astrocreep 2000. Those were the days…

funnily enough i’ve revisited half of those this week!

i was surprised how weak Demanufacture sounds today (i LOVED it at the time) and also how good Burn My Eyes sounded – thought that would have aged badly.

And Draconian Times! Sounds so 90’s it hurts, but actually pretty strong musically 🙂

whitey
    Free Member

Any Jane’s addiction album!

tazzymtb

Napalm death “scum”
    Slayer “reign in blood”
    Wasp “live in the raw” (makes me giggle)
    Bolt thrower “in battle there is no law”
    Extreme noise terror “holocaust in your head”

Disagree about nin sounding timeless as its soooooo dated it hurts. Ministry fare a bit better in the age test though

footflaps

Napalm death “scum”

Pah, not a patch on the “Lawnmover Death” with “Watch out Grandma, here come’s a lawn mower”

llama

Comes down to ‘What is metal?’

Suicidal Tendencies: one of my favorites, fairly original, and rather underrated. But not really your classic metal.

Jane’s Addiction: Nothing shocking is one of my top 10 live albums. Again, fairly original, but what with covers of the Stones and Velvet Underground, not really your classic metal.

FnM: Sorry, what about ‘we care alot’? Just because they covered war pigs does not make it metal.

I reckon, and with all that in mind, it’s got to be Number of the Beast really hasn’t it. Or maybe Ride the Lightning.

zilog6128

Saccades
    Free Member

Saxon – The Eagle has landed
    Helloween – Live in the UK

MartynS

C’mon……. Really…..

1984, Van Halen.

Thread closed.

mudshark
    Free Member

How are AC/DC metal ??

70s stuff isn’t but Back in Black is for sure – would be interesting to try and find a list of best Metal albums – or best selling ones – that excludes it

http://www.metal-rules.com/polls/index.php?id=6

franki
    Free Member

For me it’s a close call between Metallica – “Master Of Puppets” & Slayer – “Reign In Blood”. (Special mention also to Iron Maiden – Powerslave, as that’s the album that introduced me to metal and has some of their best work on it too. (Plus a couple of filler tracks, sadly.))

I think “Reign In Blood” just edges it. It was (and still is) the best thrash / speed metal album ever. It’s just perfect. Slayer may as well have hung up their guitars after that one. I don’t see how it could be bettered and they certainly never came close again.

sadexpunk

not sure i qualify as an old punk (so didnt listen to most of them), but the only 2 i liked around then were iron maidens debut album with paul di’anno, and motorhead live at hammersmith (think that was on gold vinyl?).

do i win?

zilog6128

No. In a way metal is the antithesis of punk therefore your opinion is highly unlikely to be correct so don’t sweat it though!

mudshark
    Free Member

Punk cleared out Prog Rock and made way for NWOBHM. Maybe.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That would be Lawnmower Deth, footflaps.

egb81
    Free Member

Master of Puppets by a mile. The 90’s was a better decade for metal on the whole though.

rascal
    Free Member

BAT-A-RAY!

Ooooh tough one this.
    Master of Puppets was one of the first albums I bought just as I was getting into metal.
    Hard to look beyond it and it still stands up now – 28 years on.
    South of Heaven still gets the occasional blast too.
    FNM ‘The Real Thing’ was/is still a quality listen…

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Prong – Primitive Origins

rascal
    Free Member

Oh yeah…forgot to mention…Def Leppard are shit 😉

Vern0n
    Free Member

Lawnmower Deth 🙂 sadly Oooh Crikey was 1990 so misses the cut!

I very much love Acid Reign – The Fear

WackoAK
    Free Member

Mine would be Reign in Blood, Slayer, Powerslave, Iron Maiden & Among the Living, Anthrax.

Special mention to “Stormtroopers Of Death – Speak English Or Die”

Cougar

Oh yeah…forgot to mention…Def Leppard are shit

Two day ban for negative use of the forum.

LS
    Free Member

From a purely technical point of view it has to be Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules. Take the metal band and add the metal singer and you can’t lose 😀

(May I add that many of the suggestions above are probably valid too)

jimjam
    Free Member

LS – Member

From a purely technical point of view it has to be Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules. Take the metal band and add the metal singer and you can’t lose

There’s just a lot of weak songs on those albums though. Having said that, Heaven and Hell, Children of the Sea, Sign of the Southern Cross…great songs.

LS
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more, just looking at it from an objective point of view (I do love Heaven and Hell, massive Ac/Dc, Metallica, Slayer fan but AfD would edge it simply because it’s the album that got me into music when I was 10).

lovewookie

Can I stick in guitarwankyconcept-tastic Operation:Mindcrime by Queensryche (if we’re going to ignore what is or isn’t metal)

and talking of diva-esque lead men, Skid Row.

in all seriousness though, you’d have to start getting very pigeonholey if you were to narrow it down.

good shout for Almighty, blood fire and love, cracking album, it’s filed under ‘metal for motorcycles’ 😉

Maidens Killers has to be there, nice well rounded production, good sound.

but yes, it’s not appetite.. bloody hated GnR when that came out, but then I realised I was in denial and the hype was justified, well for one album anyway.

rascal
    Free Member

Appetite For Destruction is a fantastic album.

johndoh
    Free Member

Gotta say there are some great suggestions here.

Heart says NOTB, but a great call up there about Queensryche too.

Sabbath did nothing of note in the 80s (I love Dio but not in Sabbath).

Just missing out, 1991, Nirvana – Nevermind.

BTW – the new Foo Fighters single – ripping the riff from Holy Diver right off.

jonnouk
    Free Member

Metallica – Master of Puppets
    Slayer – Reign In Blood
    Anthrax – Among the Living
    Anvil – Metal on Metal

Sadly Cowboy’s from Hell is just a few months out.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Oooooo, lots to choose from, some excellent choices guys, BUT, mine are-
    Magnum “Storytellers Night”
    Queensryche “Operation – Mindcrime”

penac

Iron Maiden – Live after Death
    if restricted to studio albums then Metallica – Master of Puppets, Slayer – Reign in Blood or DRI – Crossover.

johndoh
    Free Member

Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman were both pretty special too.

Everything after that was pretty dire though.

footflaps

Two day ban for negative use of the forum. [/quote]

Surely it should be a lifetime ban for such a serious slur….

footflaps

Magnum “Storytellers Night”
    Queensryche “Operation – Mindcrime”

Good call on both those….

off to see Magnum for the third time this year in December…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Footflaps, nice one. Saw them in N.Wales in March at Buckley. Great band, got loads of their stuff.

david47
    Free Member

Another call for Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime…
    Odyssey by Yngwie Malmsteen

WackoAK
    Free Member

Two day ban for negative use of the forum.

I hope that’s for mentioning “Def Lepard” in the context of a metal thread and not for the FACT that they are actually pop?

Otherwise, physician heal thyself.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Best metal album of the 80's?’ is closed to new replies.