Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Best Man Speech Advice
  • ninfan
    Free Member

“Now, all the couples here today, I want you to just take this opportunity to face each other and look deep into your partners eyes…

…Because statistically you are now looking at the person who is most likely to murder you”

yoshimi

Don’t try and make a super-funny stand-up routine if that’s not you – follow the basic structure and add in a couple of jokes

Everyone knows how hard it is and will laugh along no matter how nervous you are

Once you’ve actually stood up and said a few lines it gets easier

I’ve seen quite a few, some good, some not as good and some very nervous – at no point did I ever think this is terrible – everyone has been drinking wine and in a good mood – dont put too much pressure on yourself

jemima
    Free Member

Whatever you do, make it personal and about them and about you. Not just generic jokes!

This x10.

Keep it short. Be genuine. People are on your side will laugh at almost nothing. The most laughter I got in my speech was a simple statement of fact about the couple that I didn’t even expect a giggle at.

If people do laugh, pause, enjoy it, look around at them and smile 🙂

bazzer
    Free Member

Also remember being best man is not just about the speech. Your job is to buffer them from any hassle or problems on the day. If you take the job seriously then its hard work !!!

If anything goes wrong they should not know it went wrong on the day.

theotherjonv

+1 to being the man friday on the day. If you have a couple of responsible ushers too, their job doesn’t end after the ceremony.

I ushered for a mates wedding when the photographer announced they needed an extra 20 minutes to complete the photos and had to ‘negotiate’ for the chef to delay service by the same amount – with about 30 mins notice. I’d have hated for the groom to have had to take that level of abuse on his wedding day 😉

jamj1974

Curiousyellow +1

docstar
    Free Member

Myself and by brother made a video, we’re not great speakers so it provided a bit of entertainment, we had it playing on a projector but had to wait till the sun went down as it was setting directly behind the screen.

soobalias
    Free Member

opening – recommend all guests recharge their glasses.
    every single person you mention, toast them
    every drinker will be rolling drunk before you finish and think you are amazing.

jamj1974

That’s ace!

jekkyl

“Tom place your hand on top of Barbara’s, congratulations that’s the last time you’ll ever have the upper hand”
    “Tom, marriage is about learning the 3 phrases you’ll need every day, ‘I’m sorry’ ‘you’re right’ ‘I was wrong’ “
    lol 😐
    I’ve done a few speeches. You’ll brick yourself right up until you’re up and doing it and get your first laugh. Once you sit back down you’ll wonder why you were nervous and wish you could go back and do it again but slower. So that’s my advice, take your time and don’t forget to look up and see every single pair of eyes in the room looking at you! hahaha

user-removed
    Free Member

Your job is to buffer them from any hassle or problems on the day. If you take the job seriously then its hard work !!!

I’ve been photographing weddings for over a decade and can count on one finger the number of times a best man has done anything useful (other than be entertaining).

As has been said, please don’t just nick a bunch of lame jokes from the web – everyone’s heard them before and they weren’t funny back in ’01. By all means take the mick a bit but keep it heartfelt where it counts.

user-removed
    Free Member

don’t forget to look up

Yeah. This too. Don’t mumble into your beard. Apart from anything else, it makes for shite photos.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Best Man Speech Advice’ is closed to new replies.