• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by aw.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • best lycra shorts for 5 to 6 hours road cycling?
  • aw
    Free Member

Recommendation for reasonably priced shots or bib shorts for 6 hours in the saddle – on road?

iainc

have a look at Etxeondo – I got a pair after a similar thread on here and they are ace, same league IMO as Assos..

nashwaymule
    Free Member

Endura MT500 bib shorts, done several 200km rides in mine, they are tough as and comfy.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve got three pairs by Rapha, Specialized and Gore. The Rapha ones are comfy around the torso and have a very good seat, but actually, my favourite for all round comfort are the Specialized.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Howies.
    Good for 24 hours + so should cope with 6.

Android
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of DHB and one pair of Assos, only ones I have ever had numb nads with are the Assos. A bit of a disappointment…..

midlifecrashes

Decathlon, but not their cheapest.

LMT
    Free Member

Its the one thing ive struggled with since starting to road bike, on the mtb padded shorts no problem, on the road bike it doesn’t work. I’ve tried padded shorts, didn’t work. Padded Rapha Boxers slightly better for short rides long rides, didn’t work. Padded lycra shorts from DHB, better than the other 2 but still not quite right but I think its down to the size, going to order a smaller size in the shorts and see if that fixes this problem once and for all!

One thing I would say is get the right size, don’t be afraid to send stuff back, I haven’t and really should do I’ve got a couple of shorts I should of returned. Tempted to get some rapha bib’s but the only ones reasonable are “Team Sky” and tbh don’t really want those.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

reasonably priced

have a look at Etxeondo

😯

Etxeondo shorts are the only ones I’ve seen that are as expensive as Assos. (Very good mind you, but very expensive).

Any decent quality bib short should stand up to 5-6 hours in the saddle. I’ve gotten on well with Endura, Pissei (cheap from planet x), Addidas and Castelli.

Getting ones that fit is the main thing. Assos ones are great if you can afford them and have the right shaped arse, otherwise they wont work as well, like Android experienced.

iainc

Etxeondo shorts are the only ones I’ve seen that are as expensive as Assos. (Very good mind you, but very expensive).

I got mine half price at Merlin a few weeks ago 🙂

scotroutes

I’ve used Endura FS260s, Gore Oxygen and a few others for rides of 2h hours and more. I reckon that any decent quality brand will easily handle 5-6 hours.

mooman
    Free Member

I find pad on Assos 607 bib shorts come up a bit too high at front and the elastic grippers on legs are also very tight.
    Giordana are pretty good as are santini and De Marchi.
    My favourite are Castelli Velocissimo Due Bib Shorts. Superb fit and thin elasticated ribbon type gripper on legs .. super comfy.

Stay away from shorts with gel inserts.

scotroutes

Oops – that was supposed to be 24 hours 🙂

Spud

I wore the stitching on the pads on two pairs of very pricey Castelli doing LEJOG last year (including trainig), nice shorts but very slim fit too. I’ve also Assos which are great, but you need to ride a bit before the grippers stay put IME and Rapha which again are excellent, but different models have different fits so best try. I’m a medium in Castelli but small in Rapha and Assos.

garyfisher29er
    Free Member

Assos plus chamois = very good combo a little bit expensive

Santini GEL = nice fit

DHB are reasonably priced comfy but could do better

These are based experience.

Bez

I’ve been perfectly comfy with my ~£30 Giordana Solid 3/4s with old-school, thin, plain old chamois for over 24 hours of road riding. They’ve lasted me years and thousands of miles, still going strong. The mid-range DHB bibs that I also have now are fine too. Saddle’s the key, innit – I suspect the pad’s only important if that’s not right.

jonba
    Free Member

DHB aeron pro are nice. Got the Aeron race ones as well, also good. I now go for the pro because they are a bit nicer.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Madison’s own brand-no seriously they’re the best I’ve worn compared to Endura & Pearl Izumi, but it’s all down to personal preference

aw
    Free Member

thanks guys

i am bit on the lardy side at 14st on a 5 10 frame so that does not help

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘best lycra shorts for 5 to 6 hours road cycling?’ is closed to new replies.