Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • best lubricant for free-wheel
  • trickpsyclist
    Free Member

I have been trying to service my free-wheel with grease and teflon spray, but it remains rather ‘sticky’. Runs smoothly but with a degree of ‘sluggishenss’.
    Wondering whether the grease is too viscous.

What do people use and what is recommended?

cheers

sam2391
    Free Member

what hub is it?

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

mavic ksyrium – road hub

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have used all sorts. Chucking them in a bowl of clean but scrap oil works. Something sticky like EP90 is good. Let it drain for as long as possible. I have also used motorcycle chain grease, which you melt on the cooker when your mum/wife is out. When liquid chuck in the chain( or freewheel) then let it drip out and dry. A touch of sticlyness in the spin is regarded as a good thing as it means the grease is still there and it won’t afect anything when riding.
    In the good old days we used to turn the freewheel on its side, flood it with WD40 until that ran clear. Any noise went as well. That tip was shown to me by Dave Brailsford of Sky’s dad. Remember a silent hub is a nice hub.

njee20
    Free Member

Have you actually disassembled it, or are you just spraying merrily into the hub?

What is actually wrong with it? They have a bush at the back of the freehub body that tends to wear, or a small cartridge bearing in the nose, which can also wear.

Neither of these will be fixed with grease and teflon spray.

Ideally you should use Mavic FTS oil, but Pedro’s Syn Lube is alright too!

None of Matt’s suggestions up there will do anything to be honest!

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

i have taken the outer casing off to reveal the ratchets etc.

it just seemed to drag when free-wheeling – chain bunching up

sam2391
    Free Member

any wet chain lube should do it, where are you based I have some of the FTS Mavic oil, Im in exeter if you are near?

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

thanks for the offer, but i am in bristol.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve heard gear box oil works well, chain lube etc is a bit thin IMO.

bigyinn
    Free Member

From what I remember the bush has to be lubricated with mineral oil. Anything else tends to degrade the bush. Im using LHM (for my shimano brakes) as its the only mineral oil I could find in the shed. Actually seems to work rather well!

rootes1

EP80?

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Ive always used a mixture of m-prep and wet lube, seems thin enough to spin and sticky enough to stay in there

gribble
    Free Member

I need to do this for my freehub, it sounds like a bag of rocks.

Can you just pour the lube in? I have not got any cone spanners and when it comes to freehubs have never actually taken the plunge in taking anything part.

rootes1

Castrol Syntrax

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘best lubricant for free-wheel’ is closed to new replies.