Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best lock for the money?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

I need to lock my ECR up outside the gym for a good few hours, so I need to get two! I found this one: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.OnGuard-Brute-Lock-Shackle-U-Lock-Gold-Sold-Secure-Rating_59955.htm

Was just wondering if anyone had any other suggetions before I go ahead and click buy? (:

lightman
    Free Member

Suggestions?!
    Yeah, don’t lock nice bikes up outside in view of the public.
    Just think of a lock as something that will slightly slow down a thief that really wants your bike.

I use a Masterlock Street Cuff, but its only used to lock up my £30 runaround.
    Can you not buy a cheap runabout?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id walk to the gym.

Bike will go awol quickly im afraid.

egb81
    Free Member

Any decent D-Lock, with cable extension, locked properly; i.e. frame and rear wheel together to immovable object leaving minimum wiggle room then using the extender cable to secure the front wheel.

Ultimately if someone wants to knick it, they will but locking it properly deters the vast majority of thieves who’re opportunistic rather than professional.

vincienup
    Free Member

Locks after a certain point are more about using the right lock in the right place than more money = more tough.

My normal all day lock on my Cotic X at work is a Kryptonite New Yorker D fitted round the BB and through the rear wheel and chainstays trapping crank and up hard against hoop type Sheffield staple. I add a cable round the fork through the front wheel and into the main lock that’s more for decoration and stopping the front flopping than anything else. There’s no space to get a lever in to the D shackle and heavy cutting would be needed. See Sheldon Brown.

No cable lock ever is worth more than a quick dash into a shop.

Good padlocks and chains are okay but can look tougher than they are. Look for things like shielded hasps to keep levers out. Don’t allow the lock to dragged against a wall or to the floor. Then mash Hammers and chisels become usable. Chains and padlocks worth using are F. heavy and no weight advantage over a good D although they’re more flexible in where you can use them.

Best advice is read up on good locking techniques and take a good look at the site you plan to lock up at, it may be the lock you fancy would be totally useless at the specific site. No lock is invulnerable, and it’s worth considering if it’s actually sane trying to secure a very desirable bike out of sight for too long at a time which is where pub bikes etc come in and why some people go crazy with tape wrapping etc to disguise their bike…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its not much the locking of the bike.

Wont be the first time we have seen the stem bolts undone and the cables cut.

Complete brake systems stolen.

Etc etc.

Leaving nice kit in the same place on a regular basis is not clever, you may get away wit it once or twice- we have all done it. But once it gets a routine your playing with fire imo.

z1ppy

Depending on where you live buying a cheap bike for the gym might be the better idea, the on-guard lock is well rated for that type of lock but any lock can be defeated with the right tools/time. The better type of ‘locks’ tend to be chains with 16-19mm thick links & squires padlocks.. Trouble is they aren’t easily transportable & tbh the stand you lock it too will be easier to chop through, they can then throw your still locked bike in a van to deal with later.

vincienup
    Free Member

Definitely. Slightly scruffy, obviously carbon free CX with cheap but good wheels seems to work OK for me. Nice looking bikes and any mountain bike will be targeted quickly. I imagine I’d have more trouble hanging onto a TCX locked in the same places I leave my Cotic.

raisinhat
    Free Member

LFGSS knows what’s up.

I use a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock, because it’s one of the strongest locks out there, and small enough to prevent a leverage attack. Lock your bike up like egb81 says, but know that even the thickest strongest lock available will give up after a couple of minutes with a power tool.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Thousands of pounds of bike and a £25 lock. Hmm.

And don’t rely on the Sold Secure stuff. It’s not a level of protection, it’s just a rating which insurance companies will accept.

Have a watch, and note how just about all locks can be defeated within a minute or two with the right tools…

Gone in 60 secs

Note how few people do anything about someone hacking through a lock. More than that, cops are generally not interested either. It’s a zero risk crime almost. Leave it outside a public place on full view even with sturdy lock while inside for a good hour, then as some point someone will spend a couple of minutes to take it and no one will bat an eyelid.

Aside from that, if they can’t get the bike, they’ll take the wheels, forks, or whatever is easily removable.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agree with all that run to the gym or get an old road bike with no STI Lever and use that to get to the gym- weighs very little and you can still run nice wheels and tyres on them

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I may have to consider getting a cheaper bike 🙁 The gym I’m going to isn’t on the street, it’s a posh(ish) gym (about £130 a month) but due not being an adult yet(yay!) I get a severely discounted rate, less than half! I was going to lock both wheels up then put a bike cover over the whole thing so it doesn’t get rusted when it rains either. I’m thinking it should be fine, but I may have to consider getting a cheaper bike ):

Leaving nice kit in the same place on a regular basis is not clever, you may get away wit it once or twice- we have all done it. But once it gets a routine your playing with fire imo.

The club say they have never had a bike stolen, and the bikes are about 20m away from reception too, but you’re making me uneasy now just by saying this. I’m thinking it doesn’t look flashy anyway and it will be under a cover too? The hilarious thing is my dynamo back light has a standlight you can’t turn off that stays on for about twenty minutes :SSS

Thousands of pounds of bike and a £25 lock. Hmm.

Well. Two £25 lock and one thousand pounds of bike. But I definitely see where you’re coming from. It looks like a very decent lock though, I have the pitbull one which is really burly.

some point someone will spend a couple of minutes to take it and no one will bat an eyelid.

I find this so ducking weird. It’s like the bystander effect. I really don’t get it.

Agree with all that run to the gym or get an old road bike with no STI Lever and use that to get to the gym- weighs very little and you can still run nice wheels and tyres on them

Running just isn’t an option, it’s right by my school which I ride to everyday so it’s incredibly convenient and the main reason I’m going! What do you mean no STI Lever?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Receptionist stepped in when thieves were taking joe nallys bikes off his car….. The threatening of violence while brandishing weapons meant the receptionist quickly retreated!

Thatll be why no one intervenes.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Receptionist stepped in when thieves were taking joe nallys bikes off his car….. The threatening of violence while brandishing weapons meant the receptionist quickly retreated!

Thatll be why no one intervenes.
    Oh no..:( why do these people have to ruin everything 🙁

deadkenny
    Free Member

it’s a posh(ish) gym (about £130 a month)

Ouch! 😯

I’d just ride more. Cheaper than a gym 😀

poah
    Free Member

those on guard locks aren’t bad and can be bought cheaper than that. think I paid 16 for mine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Running just isn’t an option, it’s right by my school which I ride to everyday so it’s incredibly convenient and the main reason I’m going! What do you mean no STI Lever?

I never suggested run re read it

STI are where the gears are integrated with the brakes and an old road bike will have down tube shifters. Basically means the bike is old and relatively worthless

coatesy
    Free Member

Just to confirm some of the above, I’ve been into the centre of Cardiff to remove locks with broken keys twice, once with 3ft bolt croppers, once with a disc cutter, was fully expecting the hand on the shoulder both times, but nobody’s going to risk a beating to protect somebody else’s property, and i’d have probably been long gone by the time the police had been alerted and arrived.

superstu
    Free Member

I love a Retrobike anyway, but I just bought an early 90’s Saracen in as new condition for £37 quid. I’d get a cheap runabout bike and use techniques for locking given above and save your nice bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best lock for the money?’ is closed to new replies.