Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best little tool to sharpen a camping Knife +?
  • ski
    Free Member

I was thinking about one of these pocket sharpeners?

Blade Tech Knife Sharpener, which uses tungsten carbide to sharpen
    blades.

http://peplers.blogspot.com/2009/07/blade-tech-knife-sharpener.html

Its going to be used mostly with my camping kit to keep my Opinel razor sharp, but would be usefull to have something small to handle my bigger kit like a Axe or billhook?

Any thoughts or recommendations STW?

Ta

hilldodger
    Free Member

never found the need to use anything other than the classic whetstone for anything from kitchen knives to small hand tools

ski
    Free Member

hilldodger – I agree, but was looking for something a bit more pocketable that I could pack into my camping kit.

Has anyone tried the Blade Tech?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pyro

A mate swears by the Blade Tech for some high-spec kitchen knives of his, having tried it briefly I’m inclined to agree with him. Seem very effective and are tiny.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Ski,

Blade Tech does work very well.

As long as the knife is good steel I’ve used it on all the kitchen knives, pocket knives including Opinels, and shears.
    Particularly good on Opinels as the blades are decent steel.

Bought one from a show for £10.00 after seeing a market stall type demonstration and I’ve been surprisingly impressed. Technique is not to draw the knife too heavily through the sharpening blades, force does vary but you soon get a feel for it.

Small, effective, very quick and worth the money.

( Other people in the family now ask me to sharpen their knives. )

ski
    Free Member

Nice one, will hunt one out, thanks..

Cougar

Does it matter in which direction you draw the blade? (Ie, will it be usable by a cack-hander like me?)

ski
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Does it matter in which direction you draw the blade? (Ie, will it be usable by a cack-hander like me?)

From what I have read, no, it makes no difference, southpaw here too 😉

Cougar

Groovy. Ta.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Agree, Works both ways.

wwaswas

just ordered one off their website 🙂

£10 posted didn’t seem too bad.

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for over 10 years – top notch. Has gone on expeditions, and normally does the kitchen knives too. Gets a very good edge

DMT

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’ve got one. Great little gadget ,weighs nothing and really works. I tie it on to the knike with a bit of para cord so I don’t lose it, and it’s always to hand when I need it. Job done.

Cougar

A quick google would suggest a lot of Americans (of the Every Day Carry variety) swear by these. http://www.mindyourfingers.co.uk/P4434.html

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive got a blade tech knocking around but i’m not a fan.
    OP, if you want it, you can have it.

I use a Lansky system, which works much better for me.

Stoner
    Free Member

Opinels are so soft and inexpensive you can sharpen them on the nearest rock. s’what I do.

ski
    Free Member

sweepy can I take up your offer & thanks for the advice on the Lansky system

my email is in my profile if you want any paypal credit to cover postage

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is this the latest “lets buy stuff we don’t need” thread?

1. V-shaped sharpeners **** your knife
    2. The steel you have in the kitchen will do a great job in between trips (you do have a steel? 🙄 )
    3. if your knife gets unbearably blunt during a trip (it won’t), sharpen it on a stone or piece of concrete.

I despair.

ski
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Is this the latest “lets buy stuff we don’t need” thread?

1. V-shaped sharpeners **** your knife
    2. The steel you have in the kitchen will do a great job in between trips (you do have a steel? )
    3. if your knife gets unbearably blunt during a trip (it won’t), sharpen it on a stone or piece of concrete.

I despair.

get back to excrement post cynic-al I am not biting 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

This thread beats any of mine for excrement.

I am serious – WTF are you doing? De-boning wild animals you’ve killed?

sweepy
    Free Member

You have mail Ski, I do have to say tho, that Al does make a valid point IMO. lots of folk rate them, but there is a reason i’m giving it away.
    Take it, try it out, then if you dont like it pass it on and put the money you’ve saved towards something that will do the job better.

stavromuller
    Free Member

My mate Barry always sharpens mine, he’s little but I wouldn’t call him a tool.

CountZero

Spotted this http://www.uniquetitanium.com/Smiths-Multi-Function-Pocket-Sharpener_p_219.html the other day, similar, but it’s got the diamond spike for serrated blades, which is handy. As far as cynic-al’s advice goes, using a rock or pice of concrete might be fine for a knife you’re going to eat your dinner with, but for proper cutting duties goes I want it sharp. Like hair-shaving sharp, although I wouldn’t be using any of my Spyderedge blades for that purpose. I have a couple of diamond ‘stones’, a couple of small pocket size Arkansas and Witchaw stones, and a Spyderco TriAngle sharpener. All of which let me put a true hair shaving edge on any of my knives, and my Gransfors axe as well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best little tool to sharpen a camping Knife +?’ is closed to new replies.