• This topic has 41 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • best light/packable insulated jacket (for stops, camping etc.)
  • razorjack
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m looking for light and packable insulated (primaloft etc.) jacket, i thought about
    -Alpkit Heiko https://www.alpkit.com/products/heiko-mens
    -TNF Thermoball jacket

these two costs below 100-110£.
    any experience with them? or maybe something other ?

vincienup
    Free Member

what sort of weather are you expecting? Assuming not expecting big wetness as these aren’t really the jackets for it, are you sure about not having a hood available?

Something like a Montane Prism, maybe? Broadly similar in materials and weight to the Alpkit one linked, but with a helmet compatible hood thrown in.

BlindMelon
    Free Member
    redstripe
    Free Member

Decathlon always worth checking out, good quality and prices for their jackets

ds3000
    Free Member

Prism is good but only down to 5ish degrees ime.,

richwak
    Free Member

Try this
    Rab jacket
    I have one of these that i carry in the bottom of my pack when riding in winter or the Lakes anytime. Really light but super warm, perfect to throw on when you stop for a break. I have tried cheaper jackets and they compromise on warmth and bulk. I have a full winter down jacket that i now rarely wear as this is warm enough for most days.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Decathlon have a light down for under £30
    I have two and they get worn more than anything else including Rab, ME, MH, etc.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Berghaus Mens Ignite that I got in a sale a couple of years ago. Love it. You could use almost any belay jacket though.

matt_outandabout

If it’s only for stops it doesn’t need to be mega thick or warm – Montane Flux or Prism would be ace.

I’ve all but worn out my Patagonia Micropuff mk1 – I’ve *lived* in it every winter, is been biking, hiking, boating, chucked in rucsacs, used as a towel, sleeping bag and seat cover. Still on a nippy night or day like today I find it’s the top I reach for…

I don’t wear it when sweating – it’s just not breathable enough. That’s what a fleece is for.

ElShalimo

Have a look on Needle Sports, Keswick website
    Currently selling lots of Patagonia insulation at 50% off

nickscots1
    Free Member

As others have said Decathlon, synthetic downs. £17.99.

Decathlon

mattsccm
    Free Member

Prism is nice and can just be packed into the rear pocket of a cycling jersey. Its a squeeze mind.
    If you are not a gear snob there are plenty of cheaper brands out there that are just as nice. Try GO or somewhere like that.

scotroutes

Another Montane Prism fan. Down is lighter and warmer for its weight but doesn’t appreciate being stuffed in a rucksack for days/weeks on end. I almost always have a Prism in my pack at this time of year, road or off-road.

vorlich
    Free Member

Prism +1
    The hood is excellent and actually moves with your head.

jameso

Montane Prism is a good top, gilet or jacket. For a packable jacket I preferred their Fireball but only as it’s a bit lighter and packs smaller, hood is simpler and not as adaptable but works OK.

Endura Flipjack is also good, warmer though – a bit warm for riding in at any pace unless it’s freezing.

Spin
    Free Member

Montane Prism is what you want. Durable, water resistant, good warmth to weight, excellent hood and can be picked up quite cheap.

I’m sure there are applications where you’d want synthetic insulation without a hood but personally I’d always go for a hood as it makes a huge difference to warmth.

BadlyWiredDog

Or the Rab Xenon X. Appreciably warmer than the Heiko – which I’ve used and isn’t as warm as, say, an original Rab Xenon – and has a hood. Or the Berghaus Reversa.

If you’re looking at Montane, check out the Fireball Jacket rather than the Prism. It’s around 100g lighter and uses higher spec Pertex fabric. Less durable, but lighter, more packable and pretty much as warm ime.

I’m still using one of the original Rab Xenon for just that. Lighter than the new ones and very light and packable. Doesn’t matter if it gets damp. Ultra-lightweight water-resistant down stuff would also do the job, but cost you a bunch more and still be less happy in wet conditions.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Klattermussen Liv Smock, hard to find as handmade but worth seeking, if not Prism from Montane.

shredder
    Free Member

I have this
    Berghaus Vapourlight Hypertherm
    Also its reversable one side acts more as a windblocker the other way more breathable.
    Shop around and you will find it close to the budget.

natrix
    Free Member

Decathlon, synthetic downs. £17.99.

I’ve got one of these (paid full price mind) and am very pleased with it. You could wash it with the Nikwax wash-in waterproofer for down jackets to improve it even more. 8)

onandon
    Free Member

ARC’TERYX – Nuclei FL Jacket

I’m yet to find something that packs down so mall and is so warm.
    Good sale to look though

wzzzz
    Free Member

Another decathlon fan here, gets worn more and not worried about the expense.

Hood can be annoying but a god send occasionally…..

Stoner
    Free Member

“Best”

Tricky to define, but Mrs Stoner and I have got a lot of mileage out of our Klattermusen Liv sweater. They are not cheap though, but very well made, and we’ve had ours for about 10yrs now.

http://www.klattermusen.com/men/liv-20-sweater-unisex

TiRed

Rab microlight vest. Down, light, insanely warm, packs to nothing inside it’s pocket. You don’t need sleeves for stops, and you can wear a cycling coat over the top for insulation. I carry mine packed in my rucksack for just such occasions.

somouk
    Free Member

Have a look at the new Military PCS Thermal Jackets. They are thicker than the overhead ones, full zip and pack in to their chest pocket. About £45 on Ebay.

km79
    Free Member

Another here for the Montane Prism. Excellent piece of kit.

Ewan
    Free Member

This is actually quite good: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-mens-packlite-alpinist-jacket-p385505

It’s not in any way waterproof but packs down inside it’s own pocket and weighs nothing, it’s not super super warm but it’s what i use when i’m belaying / climbing / taking a walk down to about 5 degrees or so.

I’ve found I’ve used it far more than my expensive Rab down and synthetic jackets – for one thing I don’t care if I rip it particularly as it’s so cheap (i got it for about 40 quid in a sale). My missus has one as well after seeing mine and also rates it – she hates being cold.

BillOddie

I have the old version of that Alpkit jacket, it’s perfect for being chucked in the bottom of your pack until you need it.

Weighs naff all and doesn’t mind getting a bit damp unlike down, we live in the UK after all.

nedrapier

I tried on a bunch of synth belay jackets a while ago. Settled on the Mountain Equipment Fitzroy, fitted the best. And they changed the insulation that year to a 90% hydrophobic down fill.

Love it. Best blend of bulk and warmth for me.

hairylegs
    Free Member

you can wear a cycling coat over the top for insulation

Personally I always just put my Montane Prism on over the top of whatever I’m wearing. Think of the origin of the species …belay jacket!

https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_belay_jacket

Also, just think about this; putting a shell over the top of an insulated jacket can flatten the loft.

dovebiker

I have a Prism too – reasonably water-resistant, but wouldn’t want to do anything too strenuous in it as it’s not breathable enough IMO.

andyv
    Free Member

If weight is a feature you’re looking for then this site is great as you can sort by weight:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-down-insulation-c52

Down tops in the link but other types on the site.

Andy

hairylegs
    Free Member

it’s not breathable enough

Moon on a stick!! Breathability relies on there being a humidity gradient which in our lovely maritime climate we very seldom get.

Are you sure you’re not confusing breathability with sweating? I realise it depends on individual metabolic rates, but doing anything strenuous with a belay jacket on? … you’re gonna sweat!!

benp1

You can get breathable insulated jackets, and put a waterproof over the top to increase their warmth when static

Something made from Polartec Alpha insulation is good for that

If I’m honest, I haven’t tried on a BAD insulated jacket, they’re all pretty good. Warmth, packability, weight, cut and price are a balancing act

Be prepared for it to get muddy if you’re lobbing it over biking clothes

BadlyWiredDog

If you want something warm for active use stay away from down or conventional synthetics and check out something using Polartec Alpha instead. Down and synthetic down doesn’t wick, just holds air between the fibres or feathers or fronds of down, plus it tends to have a double layer of windproof fabric to get vapour through, one inside, one outside.

Breathability is usually just a shorthand for moisture vapour transfer rates. It’s more helpful to just think of it as being a measure of comfort. My experience of down and synthetics on the move is that they’re not comfortable if you run hot because ultimately they won’t allow a damp baselayer to dry out whereas something like Alpha or even a fleece will tend to wick moisture outwards rather than just pass vapour under a positive heat humidity gradient. Or something like that.

The reasons don’t really matter, all you need to know is that something’s either comfortable or not. The slower and cooler you run, the less of an issue it’ll be though.

Something made from Polartec Alpha insulation is good for that

Snap, bingo etc.

If I’m honest, I haven’t tried on a BAD insulated jacket, they’re all pretty good. Warmth, packability, weight, cut and price are a balancing act

Keela stuff is quite ‘bad’ in a poorly cut, badly designed way, but yeah, stuff these days is generally pretty good.

benp1

I have a Keela belay jacket. It’s definitely not as refined as some of my other insulated jackets, and lacks a hood, but it makes up for it with having incredible warmth and a bargainous price!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a prism, found it too cold, got a thermoball which is a keeper.

I’ve not needed the wet performance yet, but I wanted synthetic for camping etc. it’s warm enough that I flogged my puffa.

I tried quite a few, lots of the cheaper stuff is nowhere near as good, no doubt the other exp stuff is good.

MrAgreeable

Hey Lukas, I have a Patagonia Nano Puff that I’m very happy with. You’re welcome to have a look next time I’m down in Briz. That Alpkit jacket does look almost as good for a fair bit less cash though.

devs
    Free Member

I have had this in my pack all winter although to be honest the only time it’s been out is pub stops. It’s pretty good.
    I also have a Decathlon (when it gets delivered) to try as it cost next to nowt, a Rab Xenon and another fancy Rab too. They’re for dog walks and the pub though. I found them to be hellish sweaty about the arms when actually used for anything other than sitting still.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Montane Flux should be warmer than a Prism, and in the Sale for 84.00

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/clothing-c25/insulated-jackets-c6/flux-jacket-p79

Edit but only if you like blue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘best light/packable insulated jacket (for stops, camping etc.)’ is closed to new replies.