Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • best light weight 120mm FS bike
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi guys any ideas for me as i want to upgrade my xc bike.
    i,ll try and find a good s/h one if i can.
    cheers all.

robhughes
    Free Member

any veiws….anyone…. 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Very subjective. S-Works Stumpjumper or Fuel Ex 9.9 would get my vote, depends somewhat on the budget though!

Wookster

I'd look at a fuel mate stumpy's are now 140mm. Fuel is alway gettng a good write up in the press and I have not seen a bad post about them.

khani
    Free Member

those new ghost amr thingys look good vfm

tazzymtb

ellsworth epiphany, looks are marmite but you can easily build a sub 25lb bike with up to a 150mm fork on the front if you wanted to, goes best with a 130mm fork. They ride like a very fast xc boinger with an emergency extra boing if you need it.

07/08 felt virtues were fantastic as well is you are looking for a second hand one.

Fuels are very good as well

tazzymtb

robhughes- if you are northwest or midlands based you can try my elli out for a ride.

sambob
    Free Member

tomac automatic?

robhughes
    Free Member

thanks anyway tazzy but a little tooooo marmite for me 😉
    the fuel sounds good though.great reviews.

tazzymtb

LOL no worries 😀

robhughes
    Free Member

forgot to put that i only want the frame to up from 100mm xc bike.
    iv,e got a set of revs for the build.

dickie
    Free Member

Some posts on here are suggesting Santa Cruz Superlight frames are coming down to £900. A custom build with 120mm forks would make a nice bike.

floki
    Free Member

http://dirt.mpora.com/features/tests/bike-test-cannondale-rush.html

Not quite 120mm on the back, but silly quick none the less.

oink
    Free Member

giant trance x – or the advanced if you have the budget

withersea
    Free Member

am loving my trek fuel 9.9 – think a 15mm qr would make a huge improvement to the front end as well

njee20
    Free Member

Fuel Ex is available as a frame too, I love my Top Fuel, would definitely have an Ex.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Another marmite one.. Nicolai Helius

mboy
    Free Member

And yet another marmite choice, the Maverick Durance.

Climbs like no other full sus bike, 5 and a bit pound frame weight, super quick and super stable. Some ridiculous bargains out there too if you can find one…

tazzymtb

we should have a marmite bikes forum ride complete with a bell and a chant of "unclean" 😀

bommer
    Free Member

Specialized camber….

bit of a wait though

stooo
    Free Member

I've got a fuel ex9. Fairly light build but with 140mm rev u-turns on it. Rides well with forks at 125 but I've got the 140 and maxle there if I want it when things get hairy. Superb bike, can ride any thing on it.

I'm considering the carbon frame when the ally one dies.

chakaping
    Free Member

That Ghost does look very good value and got a glowing review in ST.

jimmy

Has anyone mentioned the Yeti ASR5? Just been for a long weekend in Aviemore with my new 'rig' and it is honestly awesome. Lightweight, planted, stable, stiff, nimble, responsive etc etc

If you're near Edinburgh, Mark at The Bike Chain can hook you up with a test ride (and put an order in when you come back grinning).

mboy
    Free Member

we should have a marmite bikes forum ride complete with a bell and a chant of "unclean"

Hahaha

Nice one tazzy, great idea! Only problem is I can't ride 3 of my 4 bikes at the same time… Which one to choose? 😉

simonm
    Free Member

Orange ST4 ?

gothandy

Turner Sultan (ok so it's a 29er) … let me know if you can find one to demo!

robhughes
    Free Member

liking the st4 idea simon.

stooo
    Free Member

Despite praising the Fuel EX – as I have one and like it a lot….

I'll second the ST4 – which I'm currently lusting after, not sure why… but they sound like my kind of bike. Wonder if I can get a demo of one somewhere.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Cube Sting? 120mm, carbon frame, good spec, 10.4kg-11.6kg allegedly.

I almost bought one, but went for a Cube AMS Pro100 instead due to a limited budget

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius CC, might as well throw that one in as it's a damm fine if slightly expensive option

anthonyb
    Free Member

Yeti Asr5c without doubt. Stunning bike,
    (or the alloy Asr5 if the carbons over budget)

convert

Turner flux with 120mm fork? Frame only 100mm though it rides well with 120 up front.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Turner Flux, Ellsworth Truth

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba Vf2, 127mm of travel. Can be built to around 25lb and is also very versatile.

race mode – The Aussie distributor for Chumba built this Vf2 for what they call 'Super D' racing, which i think is like a mix of XC and downhill. He runs a 120mm fork rather than the normal 140mm most run and seems to like it a lot.

robhughes
    Free Member

iv,e sussed out a 2010 st4 frame cheap.
    what,s orange sizing like.
    i,m sort of an average 5"8 so 16" or 18".

stooo
    Free Member

They are pretty long frames. I'm 5'8 and like long frames with short stems so I'd be going 18" with a longer fork on it.

If you're going for more XC (110mm ish fork) and like a longer stem (90mm ish, I'd consider the 16"

Not sure if that helps.

stooo
    Free Member

Incidentally, where you source the cheap frame from ? they got many left? How much ?

druidh
    Free Member

Did anyone mention the Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon?

robhughes
    Free Member

stooo £700.but there,s 1 18"(red) and 2 16"(white)left.
    but that would be telling. 😉
    if i don,t buy one in the next few days i,ll let you know.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘best light weight 120mm FS bike’ is closed to new replies.