• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best Lakes routes
  • qtip

To my shame I have never ridden in the Lakes (apart from Whinlatter, which doesn’t count). Looking to put that right next month. Over the years I’m collected loads of route guides for the lakes, but now I have the dilemma of which ones to go for.

I’ll have 1 full day and 1 half day of riding. Will be based near Grange-over-Sands, but realise the best riding is likely to be further north, so willing to drive somewhere, although the nearer the better for the half day.

So, what are your must-ride Lakes routes?*

* I realise that asking this will possibly leave me with an even longer list of rides to choose from, but at least it will be a list of personal recommendations rather than a list of mountain bike mag routes.

ton

back of skiddaw loop is good for a 1st lakes route. bit of everything, and not too much of 1 thing.

geetee1972
    Free Member

My personal favourite:

Stava Linky to Monster Lakes Ride

This ride took in several huge passes including Garburn, Gatesgarth, and Nan Bield.

It was an utterly brilliant day out with challenging but doable climbs and descents, stunning views and very little traffic, either in the way of walkers or riders.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

We did the day after the above and it was also brilliant. Probably better trails and certainly a better ride if the weather is poor, but it’s not got that ‘out there’ feel as it’s all mostly low level.

Other Strava Linky

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s the Lakes, you need to ask yourself a question:

do you like carrying?

as it’ll make route choices easier.

+1 back of Skiddaw, go high somewhere, don’t go to the woods, Stavely can be a good start/finish.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Full day – head over to dunnerdales/walna scar – loop in recent-ish STW article
    Half day razz round grizedale and environs

for Back of Skiddaw you’d be looking at 1 1/2 hrs drive each way from grange

whitestone
    Free Member

If you are based near GoS then either:

Staveley – Green Quarter – Gatesgarth Pass to Haweswater – Nan Bield Pass – Kentmere – three rivers – Staveley.

Or

Blawith – over common to Torver – Stephenson Ground – Lickle Valley – Walna Scar – Coniston – Grizedale Forest – Parkamoor – Blawith.

munrobiker
    Free Member

For your short day then Warnscale by Buttermere is excellent fun- short but very exciting. Start at the slate mine, up the brutal fireroad, down to Warnscale Bottom then back up the road. You can work this into the Borrowdale Bash but why spoil an exciting trail with a load of boring fluff?

My favourite full day ride probably depends on your ability and tolerance of cheeky riding but up the Skiddaw bridleway then down Longside Edge to Ravenstone, back up through the woods to Carsleddam, down to Millbeck then back up the bottom of the Skiddaw bridleway is excellent. Much steepocity, looseness, big rocks and naughty footpaths but very, very good.

With regards to geetee’s ride avoid adding Gatesgarth, which is just a landrover track and a waste of good descending time, into the mix- you can do this by turning left and going over Harter Fell before you descend to Haweswater.

If you’re good on a bike up and over Nan Beild and back is excellent. Or over Gatesgarth, up High Street, down Mardale Ill Bell, down Nan Beild to the north then back up Nan Beild and descend to Kentmere back to where you started.

Helvellyn is also a stonker.

grum
    Free Member

Reposted from another thread:

grum – Member
    1 – Stavely/Kentmere/Nan Bield
    2 – Something like this: http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/loughrigg-fell/
    3 – Claife Heights and Grizedale Forest (good one to do if the weather’s crap)
    4 – Helvellyn – could do it twice in a day if you’re fit and do Sticks Pass/Seldom Seen then Dollywagon descents
    5 – Borrowdale Bash with some tweaks + Warnscale
    6 – Four Passes (would mean doing Warnscale again but it’s ace)
    7 – Ullock Pike (early or late in the day due to cheekiness)

qtip

Thanks chaps, some good food for thought there. I’m happy to accept that a bit of hike-a-bike is part and parcel of a lot of Lakes riding, I’m definitely more interested in the descents.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best Lakes routes’ is closed to new replies.