• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jam1e.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best KODI Android box?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Something easy for the old’s to use, something where they don’t have to side load stuff and end up phoning me for IT* help…..

There are a million and one on Amazon but what do people have that work well?

Thanks

(*unqualified)

shuhockey
    Free Member

Nvidia shield easily the best. Got mine for £99 last year. It’s great.

slackboy

Amazon Firestick works pretty well. Doesn’t need sideloading.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

M8S Mini with the little wireless keyboard.

pigyn
    Free Member

Derail- why don’t the windows boxes seem more popular? I have got my mum a windows 10 one for xmas. She has been using windows for years so thought it would be more familiar

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Kodi runs like a three legged dog on even a very fast Windows machine.

pigyn
    Free Member

Butttt why use it? I just have a SFF pc connected to my tv, and use the browser based on demand stuff. Got the blind peoples scaling zoomatron turned up and can read stuff from the sofa easily.

Not being smart just never thought of using anything else

jambalaya
    Free Member

Really, works fine on my 2009 Mac (cheap model), connected to TV via HDMI

M8S I have been recomended by a mate

Drac

MQ Pro or M8S can be had for around £20 no need to spend anymore.

fibre
    Free Member

Runs well on my Nvidia shield, prefer it to my old HTPC setup (quick enough, tiny, silent and no need to fettle it).

retro83
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – Member

Sorry but that’s total balls. I’ve run it on windows and Linux on the same machine, no difference. In fact it was quicker for a while on windows as dxva had far better decoding support than the Linux equivalent I’ve forgotten the name of (vdpau?)

bear-uk
    Free Member

Kodi runs on most Android phones and Windows laptops/Pc’s. Just buy a Chromecast and cast it to TV.
    Just bought an Amazon fire stick and must admit it works very well although you have to install the programs yourself.

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Kodi/Xbmc is the most annoying , un – user friendly programme that I have ever used

TheBrick
    Free Member

You’ve never used sed.

chomp
    Free Member

I’ve got an MINIX Windows box and kodi runs with no issues – have it run at startup in full screen and there’s no real sign of it being a windows box.

It’s not actually any better than when I had it running on openelec on my Raspberry Pi though – apart from slightly easier for me to fix remotely when I’m not at home and something is up with it (used to happen on my Pi as well, but couldn’t be arsed to ssh into it as too much faff)

if they want to use it for stealing/streaming stuff they haven’t paid for then you’ll probably have a bit of troubleshooting regularly when the streams need updating etc as I’ve heard lots of people having issues even with those that supposedly auto update.

Learn a bit about Kodi and how it all works, and just set it up yourself – that way you can support it easier when it all goes tits up (and it will – as it’s in your parents house and it’s the law)

petrieboy

I run it on a chrome box. Bit of work to get it setup but maintenance free once it’s done. Boots quickly and runs smoothly. I control it with the iPhone app so other than switching it on, I never touch it.

jam1e
    Free Member

I have a MINIX box and it works really well.

But it doesn’t work any better than on a Raspberry pi 3 which is much cheaper

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best KODI Android box?’ is closed to new replies.