Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Best job in the world?
  • DrP

Oooh, this is an interesting one as I’d worry my dream job would turn into ‘any job’ after enough time..

I’m pretty happy in my current job – good work life balance at present.

I did go to a ‘big plant nursery’ a few weeks ago to look at palm trees, and instantly felt calmer there.
    Lush green trees all around, birds chirping,and it was just, well, nice.

Maybe that…

DrP

orangeorange
    Free Member

Rich_s

Once turned down a job floating around the Caribbean. 6 days on, 1 off. 6 months on, 6 weeks off. Tax free. Full healthcare. Full board. Work 7-11 and 4-11 running training suite for crew.

Went on one of the cruises a few years later and got chatting to a crew member. She told me that the job basically is organising and running the staff parties. Bollocks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

job in the Big Smoke managing costly and complicated IT projects.

working as a Software Developer

people have IT and sitting in front of computers all day as a dream job?

seriously?? that s***s f****d up! 😯

McHamish
    Free Member

Not sure you read my message 😉

That’s what I currently do, but I would rather be a furniture designer/maker.

rudyard197
    Free Member

The campsite thing. The Guy who runs the site in Porlock I visit seems to have it made. Inherited the farm, sold a few fields and the farm house.Set up the campsite and away you go. Looks an ace life to me.

BigJohn

I thought it was always supposed to be pulling lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield’s bum. Peter Cook thought so.

seadog101

My Brother has it.

Chief Engineer on a Super-Yacht. Sits alongside in Monaco most of the time. Occasionally pops round the corner to Nice, or the Greek Islands. The owner hardly ever around. Owner once took it to the Caribbean, but didn’t like it there (?).

Seems to spend large amounts of his time putting up Strava times for cycling around Monte-Carlo.

Normally about 6 weeks at work then equal time at home.

And judging by his willingness to spend money, well renumerated for it…

welshfarmer

Office jobs can sometimes be OK… 🙂

View from my office in Summer

View from my office in winter

mickmcd
    Free Member

Dad. /thread closed.

This it has to be said^^^^ provides everything I never thought I would need

Most enjoyable job was putting arms back on people I would like to do some bonkers shit with exoskeletons , least enjoyable was F1…as someone else said its a life

Lifer
    Free Member

Currently training for a job I’ve been looking forward to for almost a year. Shift work, big consequences if I **** up but will have enough free time and money to do the things I love. Can’t bloody wait, just 5 more weeks of living in a hotel room, 2 exams and a practical assessment to go!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Wow, lots of Yacht people! A childhood friend of mine is crew on Roman Ibramovic’s yacht. He loves it! Goes all over the world, and half the time the boss never even turns up. They do have to meet a pretty tight (sometimes unrealistic) schedule, and there’s not as much screwing off as you often hear about on yachts… Sounds like fun though!

epicyclo

Be your own boss. That’s the best job.

The time and effort people put into planning careers if put into a business…

poolman
    Free Member

Friend of a friend looks after a nice villa on ibiza. Owners only there c 1 month a year so he has the place to himself 11 months. He doesn’t actually have to do anything himself as they have other staff. He just checks their work. Can’t believe he gets paid to do it.

Most of the super yatchs in the marina here never move and the really big ones have permanent staff.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

My job used to involve a lot of fixing things and fabrication which I quite miss. So something where I was making stuff would be perfect, wooden canoes, bike frames, furniture, lately motorcycles have caught my eye and I always enjoyed the knife making threads.

If I could couple this up with living in the mountains and doing a bit of guiding, snow in the winter and trail in the summer I’d be very very happy.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

solamanda
    Free Member

working as a Software Developer
    people have IT and sitting in front of computers all day as a dream job?

seriously?? that s***s f****d up!

I think you missed out the part of being able to do a run of Aline at Lunch and not making your hobby your work.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I wanted to be a fast jet pilot. Military wouldn’t have me due to Reynaud’s syndrome (circulatory disorder). Screw you, genetics! 😥

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The best job isn’t ONE job, it is the ability to change or mix jobs in a way which keeps life interesting.

I’m a GP and I love the job, but I’d like regular breaks away doing something else. I’m a pretty good skier, but I know that the life of an Instructor is pretty awful at the lower levels. I like sailing too, but I know that every Marina and every Ski resort has a few people who have been there a season or two too long. Being a Dad is great – but becomes part of the scenery.

From Mark Twain

“Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do”

thomthumb
    Free Member

my mate is a swimming guide. leads tours and training camps, sometimes in the cold but mostly warm always ‘holiday destination’. He’s doing tenerife, scotland, greece, corsica and croatia pretty regularly. pay is poor, and when he comes back he sofa hops as can’t rent short term off season. often think i;d swap whilst stuck in the office on a wet monday morning.

mogrim

I worked in Sydney during the Olympics

Me too, doing the IT for the Beach Volleyball competition – that was pretty cool, two months on Bondi 8)

Current dream job would probably be a dive instructor on Spain’s south coast. Or a mountain guide. Don’t know how much fun either would be after a couple of years, though…

P-Jay
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

Be your own boss. That’s the best job.

The time and effort people put into planning careers if put into a business…

I HATED being self-employed, every single second of it.

From day 1 when this sinking feeling came over me when I finally realised that whilst I was “all that” in my last job, none of my future customers knew I exsited yet, to the last one when I realised in 9 months I’d lost money and would have to give over a chunk of my first PAYE money to an accountant to prove to HMRC that I had done just that.

Gave me a whole new appreciation for people who can start from a laptop in their back room and build a business employing dozens of people in 20 years.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

a dive instructor on Spain’s south coast

Is there any decent diving on Spain’s south coast? There are many places being a Dive instructor could be cool but I’d not have put Spain on the list.

mogrim

s there any decent diving on Spain’s south coast? There are many places being a Dive instructor could be cool but I’d not have put Spain on the list.

Late replying, but yes – the area around Cabo de Gata / Almeria is pretty good. And I’d rather live in Spain (and Europe) than a tropical island, which is why I chose it rather than, say, the Maldives.

welshfarmer

Scrap any ideas you might have inferred from my photos above above farming being the best job in the world. Just got going this afternoon with baling when an hydraulic pipe burst. Cue 45 mins of sweaty dusty horrible dismantling of baler to remove offending pipe, a quick 40 mile round trip to get a replacement made up before the shops shut (I definitely was making progress 😯 ). 20 mins to rebuild and back in the field by 6 pm. Another 3 hours of stress until all done while missing the first half of the game. Supposed to rain tomorrow so had to be done today.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Best job in the world?’ is closed to new replies.