Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best jacket for winter outdoor gym use?
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Mature gent,carrying various aches and pains seeks warm comfortable jacket.Currently considering outdoor puffa jacket styley.Open to other suggestions however.Thanks.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How about a fleece (whatever you’ve already got) and a very lightweight windproof. Something like a montane featherlite Adds minimal bulk, outer keeps the windchill at bay and the fleece keeps you warm and if the exercise warms you up you can take the windproof off and stuff it in a pocket, they scrunch down to about the size of an apple.

If it’s really cold add a tight fitting long sleeve thermal top under the fleece, the combo of those three items should have you sorted for most temperatures between autumn and spring except proper wet weather.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Thanks for that,might be able to manage it on the cheap.I was kinda hoping not to look to sporty though.And definitely not look like a cyclist.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There looks like there’s some previous years stock on ebay for around £50. Slightly different design but same principle.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Some of them light weight and pack able puffa jackets look good.

chakaping
    Free Member

Synthetic down gilet.

matt_outandabout

I too would go with baselayers and thin fleece under cheap windproof.

Tip: running gear is cheaper than cycling gear.
    Tip: even in sub zero, when I’m working hard on bike or walking up hill,I only need baselayers and windproof, occasionally thin fleece.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,m in the north-east mind.Damn cold and always windy.

footflaps

I use a close fitting pertex wind shell (from Decathlon) over a T-shirt thermal when running in winter. Anything else and I’d over heat.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I am a man of fashion

matt_outandabout

I,m in the north-east mind.Damn cold and always windy.

I am a man of fashion

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-surface-clothing-wool-jacket-10-35393/

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Ummmm…….dont think matt is very sympathetic.Must be his time of the month.

matt_outandabout

I forgot to add 😉

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Synthetic down jacket it is then.Hopefully one that’s not of Norman Wisdom proportions.

muttley109
    Free Member

Rab nebula. I bought one for the better half last year and ended up getting myself one. Synthetic insulation so it doesn’t pack down as small as real down but it’ll cope with typical British weather better.

wilburt
    Free Member

I have a Paramo synthetic gillet for similar purpose and find it very useful. Strangely warm tbh almost like its heated.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best jacket for winter outdoor gym use?’ is closed to new replies.