Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best jacket for my better half, lightweight warm rain proof breathable? ,
  • PePPeR

My other half is after a new jacket any good suggestions at variable budgets that she can look at and places to try and buy them?

We’re located in Warwickshire easy access to most places.

Thanks in advance

matt_outandabout

Polaris have a ladies cycling jacket, in baby blue, in the sale for £12(!) down from £80

ampthill

This is probably prejudice on my part. But I think that in general at Ampthill Towers we tend to seperate insulate and water proof into seperate layers. I don’t really believe that water proof down is viable as an any day jacket in the UK, but I haven’t actually tried it

If you have a Cotswold near you then that would be a goo starting point to try things on

Clover

Definitely go for layering here. I find that as soon as I have a waterproof / windproof on I go from freezing to boil in the bag in no time.

I have an Assos waterproof which I like because the fabric is nice and flexible and fits. It was a bit of an expensive buy at the time but I don’t regret it.

Endura MTR jacket is similarly thin and flexi so feels nice to wear plus packs small enough for me to take it everywhere in my Camelbak.

mikedabear
    Free Member

Endura, Scott and many other companies are now doing what they call trail jackets or single track jackets. Look really nice too.
    Saying that I do agree that waterproof and warm are achieved better by layering. It doesn’t take a couple of minutes to take a layer off and put it in a pack where as it is not nice to ride while over heating.
    For what it is worth the Mrs wears a Merino base layer then a winter road bike jacket and a lightweight waterproof (Scott Vikos).

wallop

I bought a Marmot goretex active shell. It was £200 but my god it’s worth it. It’s light as a feather, so goes well in the pack, and it regulates temperature really well. When it goes on, it stays on, because you just don’t notice it. Marmot normally do good colours too – mine is a really nice dark orange – rather than the standard ladies fare of jade and purple.

hainman
    Free Member

I have a Forclaz 400 from Decathlon,not gender specific and its only £60 compared to most bike brand jackets at over double the price,

matt_outandabout

If you do want insulated and warm….(and I agree with layering comments above, but mrs_oab feels the cold)… Then I would suggest a Patagonia Insulated Torrentshell. I bought her one a couple of years ago and she has lived in it – properly warm, properly waterproof, and Patagonia’s womens cut is ace.

PePPeR

We went out shopping this afternoon in Leamington, age decided on an Altura jacket, which claims it does both, I am with you guys, I don’t believe it’s possible in one garment.

But hey it has a shiny light built into it too!

bomberman
    Free Member

I just got my OH a Madison Leia jacket, £80 RRP but they can be had in various colours and sizes from eBay for half that price. 100% waterproof and very breathable and lifetime guarantee. They’re the female equivalent of the Madison Roam jacket which I’ve had for a year and a half now and I’ve worn almost two winters and for me it’s almost unbeatable. When it was new I used to wear it mountain biking and then just wipe it clean with a damp sponge and wear it to the pub!

The women’s sizes come up small though so check the size charts carefully and consider going up a size – my OH is an 8 but the arms were 5cm too short when outstretched so I got her a 12.

Linky

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best jacket for my better half, lightweight warm rain proof breathable? ,’ is closed to new replies.