Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Best instant coffee?
  • PlopNofear
    Free Member

So my tin of Carte Noire Whole Bean Instant coffee is about to run out. Wasn’t that impressed with it, but it just about fueled my caffeine need at work. I’ve had Douwe Egberts Pure Smooth before and I wasn’t a fan of that. What does everyone recommend?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Nescafe Azera is the best instant I have tried by far.

Stoner
    Free Member

OTOH Azera is the worst Ive tried and we now only use the Carte Noire one. Personaly tastes really.

I have 1 or 2 aeropress coffees then for the rest of the morning switch to instant.

FuzzyWuzzy

I find Nescafe Alta Rica OK although can’t say I’ve tried loads of options, the Starbucks instant is nice but way too pricey IMO

cliffyc
    Free Member

+1 Nescafe Azera,as well as tins,it comes as a small pack of 5 sticks,great for trying it out first.

ernie67

Tea .

I find that coffee’s one of those things that smell so much nicer than it actually tastes , so i’d rather have a cup of tea anytime ( no, i’m not Guy Martin ).

edhornby

the aldi (premium, if that’s not an oxymoron) stuff is ok

dowe egberts refil packs of the dark roast are quite good

Bazz

I’ve given up with instant coffee, it’s all rank, if I can’t have real coffee then I have tea.

jimdubleyou

Kenco Millicano.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The one cup filters you can get of super market own brand coffees are palatable.

At less than £2 for 10 cups it’s not bad value either.

GrahamS

Douwe Egberts Dark Roast works for me.

agent007
    Free Member

I’ve given up with instant coffee, it’s all rank, if I can’t have real coffee then I have tea.

+1

I keep a small cafetiere at work with packet of ground coffee. Easy-peasy and so much nicer than that instant muck.

soobalias
    Free Member

Percol black and beyond espresso

metcalt

Nescafe Cafe Parisen is pretty good for an instant coffee

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Lavazza Prontissimo or Necafé Alta Rica

binners

Pfft! I’ll only drink coffee where the beans have been ground between the powerful yet tender thighs of nubile young virgins, at exactly 2,000 ft above sea level, in the Andes, then sealed and flown to me via private jet

Bazz

Pfft! I’ll only drink coffee where the beans have been ground between the powerful yet tender thighs of nubile young virgins, at exactly 2,000 ft above sea level, in the Andes, then sealed and flown to me via private jet

Wow, that’s awesome! I’m not that much of a snob, i’ll drink most supermarket ground blends, I just can’t stand instant, I can’t stand instant tea either, though that thankfully seems to have slipped into extinction.

nemesis
    Free Member

Millicano does the job for me. Not as good as a proper coffee but it’s fine and it takes a lot less time to make.

And the lack of a private jet makes it much more accessible 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It starts going off once you grind it. Best you keep the virgins under your desk.

MrSmith
    Free Member

altitude is significant in growing the beans but not for grinding the beans. you also need large flat burrs and to brew within minutes of grinding. your virgins/private jet do nothing for your coffee. HTH
    😉

binners

I remember working at a place where we all chipped in for coffee and tea paraphanalia. Some tea drinker had been sent to get supplies and had bought some Tesco own label coffee. We found this out as one of the lads went to make a brew, and an angry shout then echoed across the studio:

RIGHT! WHO’S BOUGHT THE ****ING DOLE COFFEE 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Proper coffee is so easy to make (small cafetiere, one cup filter, aeropress) it’s a mystery to me why anyone persists with instant.

nemesis
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, it’s a mystery to me why people can’t understand why anyone persists with instant. YMMV clearly 😉

binners

Maybe because they like it?

Cougar

Lavazza Prontissimo or Necafé Alta Rica

I took a punt on Lavazza’s new foray into the “instant coffee with added grit” world at the weekend. They do a medium and a dark roast, I got the dark one and it’s actually really nice.

Usually I just pick up whichever ‘micro-grounds’ outing is on offer that day (there’s always something, either a tin or a refill) and the Lavazza was happily half price at Tesco.

ransos
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, it’s a mystery to me why people can’t understand why anyone persists with instant. YMMV clearly

You can’t polish a turd.

MrSmith
    Free Member

nothing wrong with buying instant coffee if thats what you like.
    same as nothing wrong with this if it meets your expectations:
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/trax-tr-1-rigid-mountain-bike

razorrazoo

Kenco Millicano is much better than the Carte Noir Whole Bean Instant IMHO.

ransos – Member

Proper coffee is so easy to make (small cafetiere, one cup filter, aeropress) it’s a mystery to me why anyone persists with instant.

Amongst other reasons it’s because I’d have to carry all the paraphernalia into an out of the office on a daily basis. It’s either pay for coffee or hot water here, no kitchen.

nemesis
    Free Member

Good old STW 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

z1ppy

m8 swears by Nescafe Azera, but my g/f detests the stuff and use Kenco Millicano. Personally I hate all coffee unless it’s in a cake (or a ridiculously sweet mocha but I have no doubt I’d be derided if I posted that… opps!).
    Seems were all very different

binners

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I took a punt on Lavazza’s new foray into the “instant coffee with added grit” world at the weekend. They do a medium and a dark roast, I got the dark one and it’s actually really nice.

its the only one of the new hybrid instant with ground in that i like, the rest is too powdery when made with a good couple of teaspoons full,

half price until the 28th i think

johndoh
    Free Member

Because they like it?

I love my espresso machine at home but not a fan of other methods of filter coffee (ie cafetiere etc) so have instant at work – a big insulated mug and sip at a cup all morning.

Gary_M
    Free Member

But not as easy as instant, and lots of instants are fine. I’m not a fan of these tins of millicano etc. There’s plenty of nice Douwe Egberts and nescafe’s available.

ransos
    Free Member

But not as easy as instant, and lots of instants are fine. I’m not a fan of these tins of millicano etc. There’s plenty of nice Douwe Egberts and nescafe’s available.

I’m prepared to undergo the trauma of a tiny amount of extra effort.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m prepared to undergo the trauma of a tiny amount of extra effort.

That’s fine, I wouldn’t say tiny amount though. By the time you’ve ground beans and faffed about I’ll have enjoyed my cup of instant and be on my way 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Have just tried the Lavazza which is rather nice and the Tesco wholebean instant which is also rather good until you get to the bottom, way too gritty.

nemesis
    Free Member

ransos, you’re an artist, a connoisseur and it’s great to see you being a martyr for your cause.

Some people just like to have a coffee sometimes.

ransos
    Free Member

Some people just like to have a coffee sometimes.

By pouring hot water on coffee?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Best instant coffee?’ is closed to new replies.