Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • best ID for 18yr old – valIDate card or provisional licence?
  • sadexpunk

lads 18th birthday next week and trying to sort this out for him. had a quick look online and seen the valIDate website. this seems to be the officially credited card, but i just wondered whether it would make more sense to get him sorted with a provisional licence instead. that way the payment would actually go towards something if he decided to try driving at a future date. the valIDate card seems like dead money to me.

are both pretty much universally accepted? is it a good idea to go the licence route do you think?

ta

Drac

Licence route is far more sensible as there’s no issues at all with that. Unless you’re paranoid and believe it to be a form of national ID.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d be going license route too. Anything else is open to interpretation from door staff…”sorry mate, we don’t accept that one…” etc etc. Can’t really argue with a license (unless the birth date is easily forged…I dunno).

lunge

Driving license, definitely. Anything else, accredited or not, is open to be questioned, lots of places will only accept a picture driving license or a passport.

rocketman
    Free Member

rocket jr uses his driving licence for everything. 2nd only to the student union card

sadexpunk

excellent, looks like thats the way to go then.

thanks a lot.

br
    Free Member

My son got his provisional at 16 (for a scooter), it works fine for ID plus money not wasted.

go towards something if he decided to try driving at a future date.

Eh, why haven’t you got him driving already?

sadexpunk

Eh, why haven’t you got him driving already?

2 reasons. firstly and most importantly, he doesnt want to 🙂
    secondly, mrs ex-p currently learning, and thats costing enough as it is!! we’ll help him with lessons when hes ready…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

“go towards something if he decided to try driving at a future date.

Eh, why haven’t you got him driving already?”

Why should he be driving already ? perhaps he lives in a city or town with good transport links. Perhaps he has absolutely no need for a car ?

Its a metric **** load of money to learn to drive.

anyway – when i was workin on the bar it was always driving license or passport – no exceptions.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I passed my test at 17/18 but then didnt drive till I had to borrow a car as I’d trashed my knee at 21, didn’t own one till i was 23. On the one hand doing it at 18 is convenient, on the other it was a bit of an expensive waste of time when a lesson cost a days wages.

Get a driving licence, there’s always one ‘postman group’ ID in every circle of friends, and its really irritating.

sadexpunk

ok, filled in the online application. then realised now have to wait for them to send all the bumph through the post, so maybe wont have the licence in time for his birthday.

is it just bog standard blank application papers that come through the post, or will they have the registered details already filled in?

just thinking why didnt i just walk to the post office and fill one in from scratch there and post it off :-/

trail_rat
    Free Member

does he not have a passport.

midlifecrashes

How long does the provisional licence last? (Firstborn just turned 18, but not wanting to drive yet.)

sadexpunk

does he not have a passport.

nope, and no foreign hols lined up for him so pointless getting one right now, itd only be running the date down.

How long does the provisional licence last? (Firstborn just turned 18, but not wanting to drive yet.)

for ever i think. wife started learning around 15 years ago, and just picked up again recently using same licence.

somouk
    Free Member

Provisional license is the best route forward, it’s accepted against vetting checks, banks etc.

for ever i think. wife started learning around 15 years ago, and just picked up again recently using same licence.

I don’t think so, every license has an expiry so worth checking to make sure it’s in date.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wont it just be 10 years as per all current photo licences

sadexpunk

rules may have changed now with the ‘photo only’ licences, but she definitely used the same paper provisional licence from 15 years or more ago.

I don’t think so, every license has an expiry so worth checking to make sure it’s in date.

can remember looking at the time as i would have thought the same, but couldnt see anything to suggest it was dead. driving instructor was also happy with it. we changed it recently to reflect an address change but that was free so its still the same licence?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Get a driving licence, there’s always one ‘postman group’ ID in every circle of friends, and its really irritating.

BTW it’s Portman Group, anything with a ‘Pass’ Hologram (prove it, validate) should be accepted, but as said, it quite often isn’t. Lack of training, ignorance, probably combined with the fact that there hasn’t been a massive take up.
    DL or Passport, to be certain of being accepted every time.

sadexpunk

just had a quick look at wifes, just to satisfy my curiosity…..

the counterpart has absolutely nothing on it (maybe cos we changed address round about the same time as they were being done away with, so could potentially bin it?) and the photo licence has a few different dates on it.

a hologram of her face says aug17. in the long list of classes, theres dates alongside the pictures of bikes and a car.
    theres 2 columns, no 10 and 11. in 10, for the car, the dates are 19.07.95 (so 20 years ago then!) to 30.06.44 in column 11.

i assume this means it runs out in 2044?

br
    Free Member

Yes, my sons provisional had 10 years on it.

Why should he be driving already ? perhaps he lives in a city or town with good transport links. Perhaps he has absolutely no need for a car ?

Yes, but since it takes so long to get a test passed better to get it done as soon as rather than need it and not have it. A bit like the lad we’ve taken on at work; he’s 20, can’t drive and there’s no public transport available – so he’s having a struggle plus now taking lessons. It’ll be a long cold walk if he’s not driving come winter.

ste_t
    Free Member

Driving licence 100%.

Anything other than that and passport just aren’t accepted widely enough so are a waste of money. Driving licence is best as it has an address on to post it to when your young’un loses it whilst drunk.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you live in shit stick no where though…..

i know plenty of folk without car or license.

oliverracing

Provisional – but you’ll be lucky to get it for a few weeks even if you sent the paperwork off today, I seem to remember mine took about 3 weeks, when I applied 4 years ago.

Drac

i assume this means it runs out in 2044?

August 2017 her licence runs out, the vehicle entitlement is different that runs out in 2044.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

+1 Provisional Licence. I got mine when I was 18, lasted me through Uni. Some friends would bring out their passport but it’s a lot more hassle. I’m 22 now and just starting driving lessons so it definitely comes in useful to have anyway!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

BTW it’s Portman Group, anything with a ‘Pass’ Hologram (prove it, validate) should be accepted, but as said, it quite often isn’t. Lack of training, ignorance, probably combined with the fact that there hasn’t been a massive take up.

The problem is the fines are punitive if you sell to underage kids and you really don’t care whether you sell them a beer or not, not serving them is no skin off your nose.

The fact you could send off a few quid and a photograph to an advert in the back of FHM and receive a ‘novelty ID’ made genuine ones pretty useless.

squirrelking
    Free Member

the vehicle entitlement is different that runs out in 2044.

And by posting that, you have now told the entire world your wife’s age. Rookie error.

😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The fact you could send off a few quid and a photograph to an advert in the back of FHM and receive a ‘novelty ID’ made genuine ones pretty useless.

Agreed, but these are quite common, which by your reckoning would render Driving licences pretty useless as well http://www.myfakeid.biz/fake-id/fake-driving-license.aspx

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘best ID for 18yr old – valIDate card or provisional licence?’ is closed to new replies.