Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best home insurance for cyclists these days?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

Home insurance renewal time. In the past I have used M & S but they were unhelpful over a (small) buildings claim and they have changed their policy.

I have tried the AA etc but on bikes they don’t cover like for like and deduct per year of ownership.

Off to confused.com but real world advice appreciated.

Thanks

tomaso
    Free Member

Quote Me Happy aka Aviva aren’t bad. My stolen custom built bike was paid out as cash as they couldn’t source a replacement. I’ve got a £2k limit and not sure if you can increase that.
    Need to double check T&Cs

riddoch

Coop were good for me, standard 1k limit and reasonable quote for one beyond that. New for old policy too.

njee20
    Free Member

Direct Line Select have been coming out well from these threads lately.

Onzadog
    Free Member

For expensive bikes, nfu seem pretty good, especially if you take the higher spec cover.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Direct line select here, brilliant to ring up and get a quote for etc, really just normal people you can relate to and if they didn’t know answer they’d go ask colleague in claims to find out. Not had to use them yet but being as our bikes are worth so much the quote was between £300 and £400 so was very happy compared to MNS who changed.

granny_ring

Didn’t realise that Co-op were new for old as well as M&S.
    Any more companies do the same?

IHN

Fresh Insurance got me a cracking policy from AXA at a cracking price. they’re brokers, give ’em a ring

votchy
    Free Member

Shielas Wheels here for me

bigG
    Free Member

John Lewis worked out cheaper than anyone else for me, and cover my bikes as specific items for very little money.

curvature
    Free Member

I use Esure. Never had to claim but they are helpful on the phone and no limit as long as it is a named item.

As a guide, 4 bed detached house, 3 named bikes and an expensive ring. For this I pay just over £200 a year.

My brother in law has just claimed for a stolen bike on his Direct Line insurance and it was settled in full within 48hrs.

rendo
    Free Member

I prefer Hiscox, primarily because the do not request items to be named.

i asked them about extraordinary items likes bikes, art, jewellery etc… no need, only thing they ask is if you have any precious metal/jewellery

mtbmatt
    Free Member

LV seem to have a good policy.
    Bike are not classed as personal possessions, therefore don’t need to be declared, regardless of value.

The away from home insurance cover is a much lower, £1500 limit though.
    Standard cover includes outbuildings.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

John Lewis were excellent for me last month when we got two bikes stolen.

njee20
    Free Member

I prefer Hiscox, primarily because the do not request items to be named.

Obviously Hiscox is aimed at high net worth folks, but even so the quote I got was laughable!

The good thing about M&S is that although they’ve done away with the £4k bike limit they don’t require you to declare any other items – no single item limit whatsoever, jewellery included, to my surprise. I’d still consider them if it was close on price with declaring the bikes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best home insurance for cyclists these days?’ is closed to new replies.