Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Best High Volume 26" for Rigid – WARNING – Tyre Content!!
  • psycorp
    Free Member

Looking for some and can’t decide. Bigger the better, but not fat.

jam-bo

conti vert pro?

wwaswas

Chunky Monkey?

qwerty
    Free Member

Conti Trail king Apex BC 2.4″

thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

Der Kaiser is very large, but maybe a bit sluggish for your purpose. Never tried a TK Apex so qwerty might be right there, they are very wide indeed!

nedrapier

Conti X King 2.4 on my rigid.

Surly Dirt Wizard 2.75. You’ll need a wide rim to get the intended profile and the full 2.75, though. It’ll work fine on a normal rim, but bead to bead, it’s not much bigger than the X King.

nedrapier

Do you want fast rolling, or chunky?

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

I had conti mountain kings 2.4 when i was rigid but had issues with a sometimes squirmy front tyre under braking and cornering , but that was mainly braking from fast downhill into fast corners. Apart from that they were comfy.

m360
    Free Member

Had a first ride out on Specialized Purgatory 2.3″ the other day (as a front) and it has LOADS of grip and lots of volume.

Still messing with pressures as tubeless is new to me, but didn’t take long for me to realise it was better than my old 2.1″ Conti Explorer Pro’s (at the trail centre at least).

psycorp
    Free Member

Not really worried about fast rolling. Have some slick tyres for that. Looking for grip and a bit of spring.

I suppose I should qualify that by mentioning that I have the old Bonty XR4’s on it at the moment.

trickydisco
    Free Member

spesh butcher?

the 2.3 sizes up like a 2.5 maxxis Loads of grip

carlos
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member
    spesh butcher?

the 2.3 sizes up like a 2.5 maxxis Loads of grip

That would be my choice for sure. Prob a little bias as I’ve been running a Butcher on the front for 2 years + now.

Squarer on the edges than the Purg so much more of a grippy feel to it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve just put a 2.3 inch igniter on mine with a 2 inch larson on the back. On 719s. Probs about the biggest I’d feel comfortable using.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ditto.. Went from maxxis being my favourite tyres to these.

I prefer the purg on the back.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

As above 2.4 Chunky Monkey on the front with a Smorg on the back

Northwind

2.5 Nevegal DTC singleply, if you can find one- discontinued now. There’s a stick-e that’s easier to find but quite a bit heavier. Brilliant for rigid, though. Wee bit “pingy” but lots of grip, very flexible sidewalls etc so it gloms around obstacles beautifully. And if you do the nevegal-deknobble it works well all year (as standard, it clogs too much)

If I needed another I guess I’d consider a rubber queen first.

psycorp
    Free Member

Liking the look of the CM. May go for a couple of these.

oli575
    Free Member

Spesh Butchers are a Minion copy and are not particularly high volume.

I second Trail King / RQ 2.4 as these are huge.

With these you get the hallowed 650b on a 26″ rim! Wouldn’t rotate on the rear of my Pivot Mach 5.7!

kimbers

Chunky monkey is great on a rigid

akira

Running dirt wizards on reasonably big rims, took a while to get front tyre pressure right as too low and it does squirm under braking which was a but disconcerting, sorted now and its great.

jameso

I second Trail King / RQ 2.4 as these are huge.

It’s what I had on my rigid 26, huge things compared to any other tyre.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yep. Second the 2.4 continue options, they always size up bigger in volume than the competitors…….but if you’re not fussed on mud grip try a Scwalbe Big Apple…..I ran them on a rigid commuter for a while…..they were monster grippy on Tarmac yet relatively fast.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Swamp things come up pretty big. Nice and draggy in the super tacky version too.

Northwind

Suggsey – Member

Yep. Second the 2.4 continue options, they always size up bigger in volume than the competitors……

Assuming that was meant to be continental- no they don’t, Conti sizing is essentially random. 2.4 Xking frinstance is inexplicably a 2.2, even though they sell a 2.2 Xking. The Rubber Queen is actually pretty accurately sized, it’s just tall.

Still not as bad as Maxxis though. “Dear Maxxis, why is the 2.7 Highroller 2.5 across, and the 2.5 highroller 2.35 across, when there’s a 2.35 highroller? Why is this swampthing 2.5 the exact same size as the swampthing 2.35?”

Rubber’s a great material for a tyre but a bad one for a ruler.

nedrapier

My 2.4 x-kings are 2.34in across the casing. On crests.

Northwind

Mine is 29 on a WTB Stryker, is that 26 you have?

nedrapier

yup, 26ers

takisawa2

From many a year riding 26″ rigid, big squishy tyres are only part of the story…
    470mm (29er) fork, to lift the front a bit, get some weight off the wrists.
    Non O/S carbon low-rise bar (if you can find one), put a bit of flex back in.

2.4 Trail King is a really decent tyre, & big.

jonwe
    Free Member

Chunky monkey front, smoggy rear. + grip, comfort, cost, stans friendly. -weight, rolling resistance. For the price they can’t be beaten.

kerley
    Free Member

470mm (29er) fork, to lift the front a bit, get some weight off the wrists.

That is really down to the position that suits you. I use a 420 fork and a 0 degree stem with flat bars to get the front down and forward.

Big tyres give me a bit of absorption plus more grip so can’t really lose. I choose fairly light big tyres and run a 2.4 X King which would not suit the OPs requirements but is a good tyre for me.

Sam

2.75 Surly Dirt Wizard?

psycorp
    Free Member

Would love a Dirt Wizard on the front but haven’t got the rims for it at the moment.

I’m running 29er Exotic carbon forks 470AC on a 456 carbon frame

I now can’t decide between the TK and the CM 😯 🙂

akira

Crc are doing spank rims pretty cheap , 30 or 34 internal diameter for £50-60. DW works fine on them.

qwerty
    Free Member

TKandtheCM

Price will probably help make your mind up on that. The TK won’t be cheap, I guess the CM is in comparison.

richardthird

jonwe – Member

Chunky monkey front, smoggy rear. + grip, comfort, cost, stans friendly. -weight, rolling resistance. For the price they can’t be beaten

This. CM for the front for sure.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

2.4 Nobby Nics come up large

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Best High Volume 26" for Rigid – WARNING – Tyre Content!!’ is closed to new replies.