Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best Hardtail upgrades
  • kraftyone
    Free Member

Help me upgrade my Voodoo Bizango!

Had it for about 4 months and absolutely loving it. Riding mainly up on natural trails in the Quantocks, with odd trips to FOD. Planning on trips to Afan and Cwm Carn soon, and exploring Exmoor too.

Only thing I’ve upgraded is the pedals (NS Bikes Aerial Pro)

Been toying with the idea of upgrading the forks (currently the stock Radion Air 120mm, 15mm axle) – what would people recommend?

Would I be better of upgrading anything else first?

Here’s the current spec :

OVERVIEW
    Approximate Weight (KG): 14.3kg
    Exact Frame Size: 18″
    Forks: 120mm Suntour Raidon LO air suspension fork with lockout & 15mm through axle
    Frame Material: Alloy
    Front Brake: Shimano BR-395 Hydraulic Disc Brake 180mm rotor
    Number of Gears: 27
    Rear Brake: Shimano BR-395 Hydraulic Disc Brake 160mm rotor
    Wheel Size: 29″
    DETAILED SPECS

Cassette: 11-34T
    Chainset: Shimano Alivio FC-M431, 44/32/22T Octalink
    Fork Lock-out: Yes
    Fork travel: 120mm
    Frame Colour: Black
    Front Mech: Shimano Alivio FD-M431
    Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore SL-M590
    Headset: 1 1/8 Aheadset
    Hubs: Formula hubs – Front 15mm through axle
    Pedals: Wellgo alloy platform with toe clips
    Quick Release Front Wheel: Yes
    Quick Release Rear Wheel: Yes
    Rear Mech: Shimano Deore RD-M592SGS
    Rims: Double wall alloy black 32 hole disc rims
    Saddle: Voodoo Branded – Steel Rails
    Seatpost: 400mm Alloy 31.6
    Stem: 80mm length Aluminium – 31.8mm bar clamp
    Suspension: Front Suspension
    Type: Mountain Bikes
    Tyres: Maxxis Ardent 29×2.25 tyre w/ Wire Bead

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dropper post. Maybe not end of thread but should be first on the list.

Stoner
    Free Member

nope, Ti seatpost was the best thing I did to mine. 😛

tone46
    Free Member

How about upgrading your clothing? Just as, if not more important than bits for the bike.
    I’d strongley reccomend Nant yr Arian aswell. Did it last year on a hardtail. Great!

wwaswas

Lighter wheels and tyres would be highest on my list – especially on a 29er.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Would stick a Maxxis Minion 2.3 Exo on the front, if they do em in 29″.

spawnofyorkshire

Agreed on wheels and tyres
    I was surprised how much difference it made to my bike (26″er)
    I wouldn’t get rid of my dropper now.
    Rear clutch mech to make shifting that bit more precise and a bit less chain slappy

I’ve had a play on that bike and the fork is not bad for the bikes price, but the price of getting something better that you’ll properly notice would be the cost of all three things i’ve mentioned above

reggiegasket
    Free Member

key component on a HT is/are the fork/s.

Everything works off the front end. IMO.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Dropper post, no question.

I’ll tread lightly here, but I think people get a bit hung up on tyre choice; your ardents are fine.

medoramas
    Free Member

As tone46 said – I’d focus on getting some comfortable clothing and rucksack for all day adventures.

I don’t think there is any urgent upgrade to do on your bike. 14.3 kg is a bit hefty, but it’s absolutely acceptable – from what you described you are not planning to do some excessive racing 😉

But with right clothing you will notice the difference straight away and love riding even more! 8)

Maybe a good set of lights as well?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Don’t upgrade anything until it’s worn out!
    Ride it like you stole it then dependi g if it’s wheels or forks that break first replace accordingly.
    Happy riding!

eightyeight
    Free Member

Also agree on rucksack. I’ve got an Osprey one that I take everywhere.

Though I feel a bit of a gump wearing it, it annoys me more when people don’t carry tools / spares

richmtb

Fork and wheels are the big ones.

If you just want to shed weight then the cassette and the saddle are normally the most cost effective ways of shedding some grams.

an XT cassette for around £40 will be about 250 grams lighter than the lump of steel currently on your bike.

OEM saddle normally hide a load of weight too. A decent saddle with hollow rails could save another 200 grams

bigblackshed

As above, some tidy, comfy, clothing and shoes. Rucksack or hydration pack and some trail tools, etc.

Then as Suggsey says, ride it until it wears or breaks, then replace with as nice as you can afford / XT.

Maybe a dropper in readiness for summer.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if the bars are narrow (680mm or less), try some wider ones (720mm+).

if the stem is long (more than 80mm), try a shorter one (50mm).

(and vice versa of course)

these things can make a big difference to the way a bike feels, you might like it.

NormalMan

I guess a lot depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

But for me, to make a bike feel like ‘mine’ I usually start with the contact points, so grips, saddle and pedals (the latter you’ve done).

Del

ghetto tubeless. dropper. first will make the bike more sprightly and doesn’t cost much to do, second will make it more fun, particularly for unfamiliar places.

continuity
    Free Member

In order of how much it will improve your ride:

Dropper
    Wider Bar / Shorter Stem
    Tubeless
    Tyres
    Fork
    1×10 (narrow wide)
    Wheels
    Clutch Rear Mech
    Assorted Weight Saving (Look to cassette, saddle, pedals)

jekkyl

I’d say getting tubeless wheels & tyres if they aren’t already would be a great upgrade. My confidence going through undergrowth has improved 100% since I got them, just no worry. Plus if your wheels currently aren’t you could upgarde to hubs that have replaceable bearings.

kayla1
    Free Member

Raidons are great, there’s bugger all wrong with them* but you can do a mod on them by putting a foam oil retainer ring under the seal and putting 10-15ml fork oil in the fork lowers which really improves them. I’ve got some 140mm ones on my bike at the minute.

But, yeah, just ride the thing and fix stuff as it needs it.

edit- maybe go 1x or 2x with a bashguard.

edit again- I just re-read your post and the main problem is the clown bike wagon wheels… 😉

* apart from it doesn’t say ‘RockShox’ or ‘Fox’ on the sticker.

ceepers

Set up tubeless and run lower pressures, smoother and faster, fewer pinch flats and cheap esp If you go ghetto.
    Shorter stem and wider bar is worthwhile and can be fairly cheap if you bargain hunt.
    After that, lighter wheels and a dropper

asbrooks

kayla1 – Member
    Raidons are great, there’s bugger all wrong with them* but you can do a mod on them by putting a foam oil retainer ring under the seal and putting 10-15ml fork oil in the fork lowers which really improves them.

I can’t agree more with the above statement. I have Epicons and have done this mod. They may be a little weighty, but they work great. You’ll be hard pushed to get better for the price.
    Look elsewhere to spend your money. As said above, start with the contact points first.

philjunior
    Free Member

Based on what’s been said about the forks I would tend towards rims and tyres. You might as well wait until you wear out the tyres you have first though.
    You might want a dropper post too but it’s more of a personal preference imo.
    The other option of course is to leave it as it is and buy another complete bike in a few years instead.

Euro
    Free Member

reggiegasket
    key component on a HT is/are the fork/s.

Yep, this for me. Me not OP.

A lot of seated pedaling and taking in the sights? Maybe wheels first.
    Steady pedaling upwards followed by enthusiastic charging down? Deffo forks.
    A lot of pedaling and having to adjust your seat a few times? Dropper post.
    Stem is 80mm long but the bike is the correct size for you? Shorter stem.

Everything else is just for show imo, so change them as they break.

Stainypants

I’m going through the process of updating my prophet. Last week dropper post, new tyres and wider bars. Rode it twice at the weekend, i’d say the tyres and bars made a bigger change than the post. Arriving this week, new pedals, brakes, stem can’t wait.

trickydisco
    Free Member

ey component on a HT is/are the fork/s.

+1 x 1000..

end of thread

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best Hardtail upgrades’ is closed to new replies.