Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Best grippy flat shoes ?
  • lardman
    Free Member

Needing some flat pedal specific shoes, for mess around days (as i more often ride clipped in).

Sticky, jumpable, with a little bottom grip/tread would be good. Don’t mind the price so much, it’s more about the performance.

I’ve got wide feet, and would like something that ‘could’ look OK off the bike too. I’m not a teenager, so something a little more classic, over Monster Energy style.

Five Ten’s? like these are looking the likely item.

What are people riding in?

razorrazoo

I’m using Danny Mac 5 10s. Only negative is the usual sponge effect in the wet.

Ridden Vans, DC and Nike 6.0 in the past and these are by far the grippiest.

ton

teva links half price at je james.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scruff9252

I’m using a pair of Airwalk skater shoes from sports direct. £20 and great grip. Also they are plain brown with no big logo’s. Quite happy with them so far.

lardman
    Free Member

@ton..

cheers for that tip, i’ll have a peek. They any good then?

lardman
    Free Member

@razorrazoo

you say the ‘usual’ sponge effect….?
    Is this a problem with 5 10’s any more so than another brand then?

ton

the sole on my first pair started coming away, so I rubber glued them, been ace since.
    so I bought another pair for when they die.

core

I’m also using a pair of brown £20 airwalks from Sports Direct, haven’t died in a ball of cheap fiery rubber yet.

On Wellgo MG1’s – so harldy the grippiest pedals either, I’ve not felt my feet shift, and I’m a clumsy, heavy rider.

lardman
    Free Member

cheers fellow STW’ers
    I’ll check out some Airwalks too!, Sports direct a few doors down from me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use these, mainly as they look OK off the bike as well, IMHO.

RustySpanner

Do 5 10’s still have the cardboard insole/footbed arrangement?

I’d like to try a pair at some stage but not if they’re going to be ruined by the wet.

flyingmonkeycorps

I didn’t find Tevas particularly grippy, compared to Shimano and Sombrio. YMMV.

downhilldave

@lardmn, the Vx1 Element are superb. Tried Teva links,5 10 karvers and freerides and Shimano Am 40/41’s. @Rusty Spanner Mrs Downhill has been known to put mine in the washing machine 🙄 and they come out fine.

lardman
    Free Member

@donwhilldave
    ok, good stuff, cheers for the info. Vxi Elements in the basket as i type.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

lardman – I’ve just used Vxi Elements for a week in the Lakes, they definitely dont get as sodden as Impacts and dry out quicker. Dont go thinking they are waterproof in any way though.

They also have zero grip, absolutely none at all, on wet grass and mud, so careful on hike a bike sections. However, they do grip well to rock (as you’d expect with those soles).

Overall, I’m pleased with them, but I wouldnt say they are noticeably more grippy on the bike than Impacts etc.

razorrazoo

you say the ‘usual’ sponge effect….?
    Is this a problem with 5 10’s any more so than another brand then?

To be honest I’d say it is more a skate type shoe effect than 5/10 specifically, I’ve had the same issue with all the flat soled skate style shoes I’ve had. These type of shoes are designed with more padding than a clipless MTB shoe and the padding soaks up more water. I suppose as riding flat pedals became more popular with trail riders those swapping over from their more water resistant / quicker drying shoes were surprised by the water retention properties and subsequent drying time. As 5/10s were the go to grippy shoe at the time (more brands have come into the market since) they were probably more common and as such it became the 5/10 in the wet issue. Bear in mind a few years ago the 5/10s resembled huge clumpy boots with even more padding than now.

Personally I don’t go on epic wet rides and for the most part been a flats rider so am just used to the nuances of the shoes and have never really had an issue.

rOcKeTdOg

I have a pair of elements vxi and I’m impressed, too grippy sometimes and dry overnight rather than over a week like my old 5:10s

Northwind

The best flat shoe outside of summer is the Sombrio X-Shazam IMO, brilliant. But now like gold dust 🙁

lardman
    Free Member

Cheers fellas.
    They’re going to be a dry shoe really, as i’m only likely to use them on my FR/jump bike, and i don’t do that kind of nonsense in the wet.
    All other times, i’ll be using my Shimano DX shoe with SPD’s.

lornholio
    Free Member

Vans Gravel. Pretty much classic Vans shoes built light with a stickier rubber than their usual sole. Or Rowley XL3s if you can find them; waffle sole in normal rubber is still excellent on flats.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Why do folk always try and recommend anything BUT 5-10s in these discussions? They are the best by far and actually designed for the task. The grip those elements have on the pedal is unreal. I paid £62 for mine.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Because, Glasgowdan, that’s your opinion.

My opinion is that 5:10’s are loathsome and AM41s are far superior.

And they dry in 30 mins.

wiggles
    Free Member

5.10 spitfire

Understated looks I have really wide size 12 feet and they fit great. Cost £25 a while back

rewski
    Free Member

My flat boys chewed my am40 soles in weeks, 5 10 stealth soles are far superior, not much cop tending on a muddy hill though.

bowie278
    Free Member

Just bought some VXi’s after reading good things, but will be saving them until the weather gets a bit better. Currently using Shimano AM41’s and I can’t fault them to be honest, they’re brilliant. Just thought I’d give the 5:10’s a go.

lornholio
    Free Member

Why do folk always try and recommend anything BUT 5-10s in these discussions?

Looks, pretty much. I’m not saying looks are the most important thing, but I really can’t stand the look of 5.10s, or most bike gear with the motocross look, massive logos, clashing colours, etc. If I can get something at a similar price, comfort and performance but a more pleasing look then I’ll always take it.

Just my opinion.

sharkattack

Currently running some of these on some Vault pedals.

I’ve had my share of 5:10’s and in my opinion they’re the single most over hyped and under performing bike product of the last decade. Hideously ugly, very badly made and just generally not nice to wear. The magical sole is like snake oil as well.

I listened to some old age mincer at a trail centre telling me how he couldn’t jump until his super-sticky 5:10’s helped him clear all the 6 foot table tops in the skills park as if people haven’t been jumping around on bikes for 30 years with no help from stupid shoes. I’m just sick of the sight of them!

Any decent flat shoes with good pedals will do the trick.

eshershore
    Free Member

Had numerous pairs of vans, etnies, airwalk,lotek, orchid, DC and 3 pairs of 5-10 (sam hill v1, sam hill v2, karvers).

Been riding and racing flats for years on bmx, free ride, downhill and trail. Have also used SPD since 1992 and still use SPD on commuter bike and spd-sl on road bike so not anti clipless!

Nothing comes close to 5-10 for MTB. Grip, efficient pedalling, feet protection and resistance to dirt/wet which kills skate shoes.

Only exception is for dirtjump or pump track where bmx shoes allow more free movement on pedals, 5-10 too grippy for that style of riding..

muzzle
    Free Member

Airwalks are a false economy IMO. I’ve got some and the sole is paper thin – I can feel every pin on the pedal through them. I got some 5 10 Elements instead and they’re great. Never suffered with them soaking up too much water and I’ve been using them all winter.

bradley
    Free Member

I cant believe people pay £60 for a pair of shoes to ride in? :s

I just buy a pair of DCs from TkMaxx in whatever colour scheme they have in stock and ride away. They are perfectly adequate for me (your average rider into everything) and I dont think I could allow myself to pay £60 for something where im not gonna know the difference. I can get 4 pairs from TkMaxx for £60 and im still on my first pair…1 year old.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Equally Bradley I still use my 5-10s that I got 2 years ago (can’t remember which model they are). Maybe for XC riding other shoes are good, but for riding fast technical stuff, big drops and jump, I won’t use anything but the 510s for my own safety!

fettler
    Free Member

Got some of the oooooold 5.10 impacts that look like safety shoes and cant fault em,as far as water ingress goes silicone water repellant spray (for shoes) helps a lot

cfinnimore
    Free Member

2 years, minimum 10 miles on all terrain a day with Deity Decoy pedals. AM41 flawless, and due to cost/use ratio, a bargain.

gavstorie
    Free Member

I have teva links and 5-10 impacts…

The impacts have lots more grip on the pedals… noticeably lots…

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve tried the main ones and I like Teva links the best. Stiff sole, dry ok, last great and are more than grippy enough for me. Also their laces just don’t come undone ever, how does that work?!
    Shimanos were good but soles didn’t last as long. Now when I go back to them I find the standard soles too soft and I’ve lost the stiffer inserts. All of mine the soles fell off eventually. It’s actually almost impossible to walk when that happens 🙂
    5:10s I haven’t used for ages. They were a bit grippy for my tastes. Took forever to dry and fell apart a bit. New ones might be better, I don’t know.
    I’ve just bought two sets of tevas to get me through the season.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For “messing” about style riding, I would definitely suggest some skate/bmx shoes. Five 10’s are just too grippy and bulky really. It’s very difficult to reposition your foot on the pedals with them.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Best grippy flat shoes ?’ is closed to new replies.