Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • best GPS with OS maps
  • ton

any ideas please.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Your phone with an OS Maps subscription for £18 a year is prety good. Otherwise Garmin Map 60 device is very good (screen quite small but robust, I use mine handheld and not on the bike fwiw)

scotroutes

I like the Oregon as it has a touch screen, a decent sized display and can run off AA batteries

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RestlessNative
    Free Member

or if you don’t like touch screens (I don’t) the etrex 20 also runs off aa batteries and lasts ages

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve got the garmin touring plus, with 1:50000 OS maps. It works really well, I used it for the coast to coast and welsh ride thing.

Hopefully it’s going to get me down the Tour Divide in June…..

andyg1966

Hopefully it’s going to get me down the Tour Divide in June…..

OS maps won’t cover the Tour Divide 😉

finbar
    Free Member

I’m going to list an unused Garmin 64S on the classifieds shortly if it’s of any interest? OS maps not included but I can throw in Opentopo maps on an SD card.

I chose it as it runs off AAs, and has no touch screen (which makes the screen brighter and higher contrast than cycling Garmins).

(sorry for blatent plug)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/outdoor/handheld/gpsmap-64s/prod140022.html

dknwhy

I think for OS maps you can’t go wrong with the app. I’ve got a Garmin Etrex and Edge 1000 which are handy for on the bike but for walking I use my phone (Google Nexus 6 – nice big screen) with the app and a waterproof phone case.
    It’s such a shame that there isn’t an android based device with a 6 inch screen that uses AA batteries…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Quick thumbs up, for running off standard batteries, very useful when away from home for a while.

honeybadgerx

+1 for garmin oregon (though I hate the basecamp software*), robust, runs on AA batteries (lithium ones have done me for a 3 day trip), touch screen works with gloves.

*other GPS software packages are available.

Rubber_Buccaneer

for OS maps you can’t go wrong with the app

I don’t like the OS app because I can’t import a route. I shan’t be renewing.

dknwhy

I’m on Android and it works for me. I download a gpx file and then open it with the app.

krixmeister

OS MapFinder on iOS definitely lets you import a route. I just mail the GPX to myself (or click on a website), and the iPhone gives you the option to open in the app.

I find the OS maps on Garmins to be fairly useless. Like many others here, I use OSM on Garmin, and OS Maps app on my iPhone. Works for me anyway.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This whole thing of buying digital maps for your particular app is very bogus – if you could just buy a license to use the digital maps and then you buy whichever app to work with them as seperate purchase, then there would be more competition and the apps would be better.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m on Android and it works for me. I download a gpx file and then open it with the app

Didn’t work for me but that was a couple of months ago so I will give it another go. Regardless, I’d suggest View Ranger as a far better alternative or Back Country Navigator as in between and excellent value.

For the OP I think a phone app would not be what he is after and some of the Garmin options above are a better choice. Which will depend on his requirements and he hasn’t given any.

ampthill

Back Country Navigator here on Android

tiles are cached for free

plyphon
    Free Member

You should be able to do that on both iOS and Android now. A few months ago it was temperamental with imported route lengths having thousands of gps points, but that got worked out and should be all good.

jonathan
    Free Member

Satmap is worth a look if you want a solid device with a really good map display. They’re standard issue to SARDA dog search teams and I used one for navigating for a day for a team. Very quick and easy to use with a great map display.

Eg…
    https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/gps-device-satmap-active-12.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAl5u2BRC6yszC1_75v5wBEiQAD-hdz-JnwOwgrMirMP6_zyZ8gR7Qn_axj3JicaOnJoxYlYUaAnj98P8HAQ

MadBillMcMad

why on earch would you pay £18/year for the OS maps when you can use BackCountryNavigator for a one off charge.

Think it wa £5

cached OS maps + other map sources for the rest of the world

ampthill

why on earch would you pay £18/year for the OS maps when you can use BackCountryNavigator for a one off charge.

Think it wa £5

cached OS maps + other map sources for the rest of the world

I pay the £18 for the PC use. Its a bit better than street map on screen. But crucially it allows printing.

timraven

Been using Viewranger for several years on different phones, found it to be great.

aracer
    Free Member

Just as an aside, does anybody know of a free app which works with your own (or imported) map tiles, using the OS grid coordinate system to reference them? I’m having a go with Oruxmaps, but it’s a bit of a pain because it uses WGS84 to reference the tiles so you have to calibrate them against that. I suppose I could pay for BCN, but then I already have a nice database of OS mapping…

MadBillMcMad

@ampthill,

Have you tried https://www.walklakes.co.uk/maps/
    If you create an account you get full screen OS maps, excellent simple OS mapping.

ampthill

With ViewRanger do you have to buy your tiles?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good site that Madbill, mucho thanks.

scotroutes

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk has the same OS maps once you register.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘best GPS with OS maps’ is closed to new replies.