Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best gps watch for running and biking off road
  • bowser538
    Free Member

Any thoughts ?

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

Ive recently got myself a suunto ambit3 peak which Im finding very good, its multisport so does lot of different activities and will also record your heart rate while swimming.

I also like the way you can change what information is displayed when doing exercise.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Do you need a map on it? I’m fairly happy with my garmin 610 – think the 620 is supposed to be a bit better. But if you want to see where you are going, that’s no use.

GavinB

I’ve been using a Garmin 910XT for the last few years, on and off, for running and big days on the bike. It’s a discontinued triathlon/multisport watch, so can do pretty much everything (HR, power, cadence, steps etc). In theory you can upload a route to it (a breadcrumb trail, with turn directions), but I found it pretty hard to get this to work reliably.

As a trail/mountain running watch it is brilliant, as you can decide how many bits of information you want displayed and which ones. For example, when I’m doing a remote run somewhere I’ll have heading, avg pace, time of day and lap distance and on a marathon sort of race, I might have HR, pace, time and distance.

On a few whiteout moments in the Cairngorms, I’ve found it useful to be able to extract my position in OS grid, something that is not possible on many (and worth checking).

If I hadn’t been buying mine originally for (short-lived) triathlon duties, I probably would have got a Suunto one, but have found the additional bike features of the 910 really useful.

mogrim

Love my Ambit 2 – robust, waterproof, decent battery life, multisport… not much use if you want to use it for navigating on a bike, though – I use it for navigation while trail running and it’s OK, but at higher speeds I think it would be a bit of a nightmare.

JAG

You should also read this GPS Watch Thread

beano68
    Free Member

Same as @mogrim

I’ve got the Sunnto Ambit 2 and its fantastic and I use it for all my bike and running antics and the battery life is very good but more importantly is very accurate.

allfankledup

Sport Pursuit were knocking out Garmin 610 (end of range) recently….

bowser538
    Free Member

Thanks for input
    Am currently using a basic garmin forerunner 110
    Was looking for something better. Maps would be good.
    Am looking to be doing longer off road runs
    And more natural trail rides

mikertroid
    Free Member

Ambit 3 Peak here. Great tough watch.

Running, swimming MTBing all superb.
    Can upload routes to it and I’ve used it in new trails to find my way round. Bluetooth so syncs up with phone nicely.

I get the impression they’re more reliable than the competition.

aracer
    Free Member

I also have a 910XT, and for what I use it for (mainly off-road, a variety of different sports and particularly in hills and mountains where I care about the elevation and ascent) there still doesn’t seem to be anything much better.

I’m not sure maps are ever going to work all that well on something which fits on your wrist, and whilst I appreciate the point of satnav for biking, a bit of paper will always trump that for running IMHO (you can always get the 910XT to give your grid ref if you need some help).

mogrim

I’m not sure maps are ever going to work all that well on something which fits on your wrist, and whilst I appreciate the point of satnav for biking, a bit of paper will always trump that for running IMHO .

The Ambit doesn’t show a map, it shows a route and an arrow. The arrow is you and the direction you’re going. If the arrow is on top of the route you’re doing fine. If it’s off to the left, you need to bear right. What it doesn’t show you are contour lines or any other physical feature, you need to have checked these out before heading off. Where it beats a map is that you don’t have to be following a marked path, just a route – great if you’re in a forest, for example, and the trails aren’t official footpaths or whatever.

andylc
    Free Member

Apple watch and an iPhone works really well! Can use view ranger on it for directions, heart rate monitor and fitness app thing all works great, although you do have to bring your phone with you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best gps watch for running and biking off road’ is closed to new replies.