Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best GPS for MTB and Geocaching
  • noodle24
    Free Member

Can anyone offer any thoughts on the best GPS to purchase for MTB rides and Geocaching with the kids? read so many reviews … and seem to be so many conflicting opinions?? Help!!

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Bought my dad a Garmin eTrex 20 for geocaching – he seems pretty stoked with it

druidh
    Free Member

You can get away with the most simple GPS. I used to use a Garmin Geko for both.

However, I recently bought a Dakota 20, with the full OS 1;50K installed. It’s much, much better. The mapping helps to “see” where you are in the landscape and it has Geocaching functions built in. I really can’t recommend it strongly enough.

flatfish
    Free Member

Dakota or eTrex

stratman
    Free Member

I use a Satmap active 10 with 1:50k uk and a couple of 1:25k for Cumbria and peaks. Expensive but great for biking, walking etc

noodle24
    Free Member

Thanks all, the Satmap does seem to get some very good reviews and it seems to be a case of you get what you pay for like any technology, but its also ease of use, that said it will be the kids that will be wanting to use it most when geocaching and they seem to pick up these things very fast.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – bear in mind that if you want it for multi-day MTB trips where mains power might be an issue, something that runs off standard batteries is very useful.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I use my GPS for geocaching mostly and then geocaching on the bike, i dont use it explicitly for biking loops so cant judge from that point of view. I use a GPSMAP 62s and find it to be excellent for geocaching due to the hints and descriptions etc. A must is full OS Maps which is gonna cost you a lot more unless you look at the talky toaster maps which are free but I use os maps so can only comment on those as well!

njee20
    Free Member

I found my iPhone far better for geocaching than my Edge 705, but I know a lot of the more general ‘outdoorsy’ Garmins have geocaching compatibility, however that works.

brassneck

Another vote for the iPhone (or your smartphone of choice). Too many gadgets to charge or forget otherwise, I like to do as much as possible with the phone.

druidh
    Free Member

I like to have my phone available to make that potentially life-saving emergency phone call. YMMV

tjh1985
    Free Member

Garmin 62st Cant fault it for geocaching as it has an electronic compass, and i have a bar mount on my XC bike for days out :o) Runs on AA batteries so when camping can just swop them out.

Love it with the 25k maps…

jasonl
    Free Member

Garmin eTrex 20 & 30 do the Geocache job very well. Just look for any device that supports ‘paperless caching’.

Very compact (either on rucksack/camelbak strap or bars), can display OS (and even DIY-created) raster mapping if desired, can operate wearing the fattest gloves (it’s not a touchscreen – unlike the Dakota, which is also a neat, compact device).

beachboss
    Free Member

To Jasonl. Do you have any views on the GPSmap 62s ? Contemplating one of these in the near future to assist with my activities 😀 Also compatible with the Garmin “chirp”

Drop me a line when you get a minute.

Beachboss.

crazymoose
    Free Member

I second the 62s. Great device and you can get handlebar mount. Got mine as a bundle pack so effectively got the OS mapping for an extra £50. Have seen the eTrex 10 which is very much an entry level unit. Good if you have kids and fancy trying it out but eventually you will probably end up upgrading to something like the 62s once you get into it. Found a couple of geocaches this weekend, keeps you interested and good excuse to get out and about.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best GPS for MTB and Geocaching’ is closed to new replies.