Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best full length frame bag
  • breninbeener

I want a frame bag for my tourer. There are lots to choose from and there seems to be some standardly used materials.

Can anyone recommend one manufacturer over another? Prices seem similar so im not sure on how to choose one over another.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve had stock ones from Apidura and Alpamayo designs, both good, the Apidura was a bit lighter but the Alpamayo was less expensive. Also had a custom full frame bag for my hardtail, expensive but nice to be able to choose every detail I wanted. Best thing would be to measure up your frame and compare it to the different models offered by different brands. The best fitting one would be the one to go for.

breninbeener

So its mostly just fit? The construction and quality is very similar?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steezysix
    Free Member

All three of mine are made with a mix of VX21 (lightweight) and cordura (tough) fabrics. Quality wise I can’t say one is better than the others, all good products. I’m sure Revelate, wildcat, etc are similar but I haven’t used them.

dovebiker

My Alpkit custom easily matches the quality of my Revelate Tangle. Also have some Apidura stuff which is good too.

breninbeener

Ok, thank you. I will measure and see which will fit best

mikeys

I can’t compare across brands, but I was sceptical about the whole idea of a frame bag until I tried one of Alpamayo Designs one. It’s been so good that I never take it off now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i had one of the russian made ones – it was shit – the nylon webbing just wore through it was not cordura that much is sure… but it proved the concept to me.

I got a wildcat half bag and it has been rock solid for 2 years – it lives on my TD-1 now as i hate backpacks. Im not particularly careful about what i pack in it – usually tarp pole and cooking gear + basic bike repair kit live in there …. how ever i opened it up recently on a ride and found a propane BBQ regulator in there and 2 bike pumps….not sure why 😀

stevemorg2

Very happy with my Wildcat Ocelet – it’s really well made and feels like it will last forever! I’ve also used a Jandd bag which, whilst not as good can be bought for a lot less

tjagain

I had one made by buggy bags. Custom made to fit my frame, turnaround pretty quick. Nicely made. Cheaper than some. http://www.bike-bag.co.uk/WebSite.html

whitestone
    Free Member

When you say “full length” do you mean a bag that fills the entire main triangle of the frame?

I’ve a Wildcat Ocelot which is the half-frame bag. This fits both my hardtail and my CX/commuter which while not planned is handy. I’ve the XL which is pretty big (4 litres I think) and can get a lot of kit in there. My wife also has an Ocelot but the small and there’s much less room – I made up some sections of pole for the tarp from old tent poles, they fit my bag but not my wife’s 🙄

I’ve also got a Wildcat full frame bag on the fat bike. I bought the bike and bag from Ian Barrington whose Beth’s husband. The bag is obviously made to fit that frame which is why he sold them together. I think it’s the prototype for their fat bike frame bag. As well as being full frame it’s significantly wider so can hold a lot more kit.

Generally half-frame bags are stock – measure your frame and chose the appropriate size. Full frame bags from the likes of Alpkit and Wildcat require you to make a template of your frame showing bottle cage bosses, etc. and the bag is custom made for you. If you’ve a Stooge then Wildcat at least know the template. Not sure how the “standard” full frame bags cope with all the different angles and frame layouts.

Finally, get some frame protection tape. As soon as any grit gets in behind the straps it will strip the paintwork.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I’ve an Alpkit Possum – works well but not as much space as you’d think and when filled to capacity I can only use a smaller bottle in the bottle cage on the downtube (due to the bag extending downwards).

It’s a well made bag and I’m happy with it but it still takes a bit of kit managemet to use efficiently.

Buy a bag with the pretext that you’ll try it for size and return it if it’s not what your after.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best full length frame bag’ is closed to new replies.