Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • best fs frame for mud clearance?
  • anotherstan
    Free Member

want to be able to put at least 2.5″ tyres on flows and still be able to spin the bloody wheels all year round!
    must be dropper/ tapered steerer compatible, circa 150mm travel, 26″ wheels.

don’t think I’m asking too much???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

26″ wheels.
    don’t think I’m asking too much???

If your buying new you probably are…

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

27.5 plus frame with 26″wheels.. All the mud clearance you’ll ever need 😉

warpcow
    Free Member

Spitfire?

rickmeister

Or salsa bucksaw ….

Rorschach
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, orange 5 or alpine.

Seen them continue spinning in the stickiest mud in the world – while I had to carry my mondraker.

superfli
    Free Member

Or Heckler. Breezed through the 2014 Mega mudfest.

stevied
    Free Member

Most Liteville frames can take a 27.5″ rear wheel so big tyres on a 26″ should be fine.

roverpig

Yep, orange 5 or alpine.

Seen them continue spinning in the stickiest mud in the world – while I had to carry my mondraker.

I must admit, I’m surprised by that. I ran Nobby Nic 2.25″ on my 26″ Five and although there was plenty of clearance between tyre and seat tube, there wasn’t that much clearance to the sides. With a bit of wheel and swingarm flex I’d be surprised if I could run a 2.5″ without buzzing the tyre in corners. But, to be fair, I never tried.

ajantom

DMR Bolt. With Chunky Monkeys on I’ve still got at least 12/13 mm each side.

legend
    Free Member

roverpig, 5s are good as there isn’t really anywhere for the mud to build up rather than having masses of clearance.

andybrad

Most Liteville frames can take a 27.5″ rear wheel so big tyres on a 26″ should be fine.

nope. well yes that’s true but theres a ledge on the rear chainstay which blocks up and it just builds up there (I am running 2.35 hans dammpfs tho)

same on an orange five. it just clogs up the front mech / bb area.

Yes they are better than most but still got issues. Id say the five is your best bet. it also tracks better in mud than a really stiff back end imo

andybrad

typical riding in mud and you can see what I mean
    https://goo.gl/photos/1fMHQMai6bHB8bGy7

andybrad

oh and if someone has a good chain lube for those conditions (to be honest that’s most of my riding) im all ears.

andybrad

oh and if someone has a good chain lube for those conditions (to be honest that’s most of my riding) im all ears.

Gotama
    Free Member

2.35 hans dammpfs

Terrible tyre for loamy mud in my experience. It just clogs. Why not just stick a Maxxis shorty/muddy mary/spec hill billy on for winter?

andybrad

found it an improvement over a trail king tbh. Not on wet roots as the TK is much better on that but on loose stuff its brilliant. it does clog though (as to all tires) but it soon spins out.

never tried maxxis rubber. Every time I see one it looks sub par product for the amount of cash it costs and I just cant pay for them. No matter how much I fancy trying them.

adsh
    Free Member

If the mud is sticky enough then fork crown clearance is an issue too.

colournoise

Not got any 2.5s but 2.3s on my Alpine haven’t clogged up yet this winter (with a Purgatory on the back) and the mud round here is thick clay.

roverpig

roverpig, 5s are good as there isn’t really anywhere for the mud to build up rather than having masses of clearance.

Thanks; that makes sense. You may buzz the inside of the swingarm with the side of the tyre but (especially if you run it 1x) there isn’t really anywhere for the mud to collect.

gelert
    Free Member

5 and Alpine here in 26. You don’t want the Five for rear clearance. A Hans Dampf 2.35 does buzz the swing arm on the Five with Flow EX. The Alpine will take that + tonnes of sidewall mud no problem.

I’d like to know if the latest Five has more rear clearance than the 2013 ones.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Someone mentioned Spitfire above, and they are pretty good clearance-wise. However on last nights club ride there was some pretty claggy mud and the frame got well clogged up with only a 2.3 Shorty and HR2.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘best fs frame for mud clearance?’ is closed to new replies.