• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best freewheel that isn't a WI?
  • MrAgreeable

Are there any reasonably-priced freewheels out there that don't sound like a coffee grinder after a minimal number of miles? I'd be reluctant to go with Shimano again as the last one died after a couple of months. Currently using an ACS but apparently there's an ultra-cheapo variant of it which dies quicker, which is the one I have, and its days too seem numbered.

clubber
    Free Member

Ahem… Proper cassette wheel with spacers and single sprocket.

Or if you're silly enough to use a SS specific wheel which offers no real advantages then WI seems to be the best out there and even they don't seem to be even close to as reliable as a cheapy cassette wheel.

MrAgreeable

Got one you'd like to give me then smartarse? 😉

clubber
    Free Member

No but there'll always be some numpty on here who'll buy a SS wheel or even just do a straight swap 🙂

MrAgreeable

Unlikely, bearing in mind it's a v-brake wheel. With a noticeable dent in the rim. I'd need to buy an SS converter kit too. Come on, more suggestions! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

😉

MrAgreeable

Can you get one of those that isn't a gopping colour? 😉

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

SSS, that a titanium sprocket?

WWAAAAAAAANNNNNTTT

singlespeedstu

freegan bikefascist – Member

SSS, that a titanium sprocket?

WWAAAAAAAANNNNNTTT

It's a Boone Ti cog.

If you find anywhere that still has some for sale let me know. 😉

Del

WI seems to be the best out there and even they don't seem to be even close to as reliable as a cheapy cassette wheel.

if i may – 'bo11ocks sir'. i've just replaced a White Industries freewheel that's done 4 years, one bearing changed, no other maintenance. that's doing a bare minimum of 25km, and 800m rise and fall per week, most weeks twice that, some weeks three times.
    if you already have a ss wheel then the WI is the way to go IME.

tim41
    Free Member

Just killed my second WI in just under 4 years, so averaging just under 2 years each, doing pretty much the same riding as Del. In the past I've tried several ACS, Shimano, and something called AC Racing, and killed all of them in under 2 months. The Dicta thing that came on my inbred was even worse.

Cassette hub and sprocket is the only realistic alternative IMO, but I would say that a WI is equally reliable and durable. I've killed Shimano freehubs on geared bikes in less time than my WI freewheels have lasted.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my hope pro 2 ss had a new set of springs this year . after 5 years abuse …..

i make that 1 set of 10 pound springs in 5 years.

does alot of miles a year

the shimano freewheel on my commute hasnt turned a mile – yet its ****

2tyred

+1 for the WI, cheap ones don't come close.

Mine's already outlasted three or four Shimanos so I figure its paid for itself. Cheap SS freewheels are a false economy, and I know what I'm talking about when it comes to false economies and bike parts!

And it makes a lovely sound.

clubber
    Free Member

if i may – 'bo11ocks sir'

You may say it but since what I posted is exactly what my experience is, you're wrong. Of course I could have seen a completely statically unusual set of results (eg all other WI freewheels last forever) but I'm inclined to believe that's not the case.

I am happy though that yours is much better than the three I've seen die within a year 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

Tensile freewheels? or other trials type freewheels.
    Some of them only available in 18t though.

http://tartybikes.co.uk/search.php?category_id=16

Del

obviously i have insufficient data.
    i only killed mine after i broke a tooth off, and also allowed it to run for a goodly while after i should have changed out the bearing. could probably still run it now if i hadn't done that, but i'd killed a strong chain too, so it just seemed like 'time', and i had a spare.

I am happy though that yours is much better than the three I've seen die within a year

how did those die?

clubber
    Free Member

Seizing/slipping

Del

hmm. well, if they're still around, and the current owners don't want 'em, i'll have 'em.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best freewheel that isn't a WI?’ is closed to new replies.