Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Best Freeride frame in terms of value for money?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Really want to build a freeride bike up, one for shredding across everything and anything with, but reasonably light so I can throw it around, I don’t know my freeride bikes so would love to hear some opinions! 🙂

jedi

scott voltage is hard to beat as its so versatile.

moniex
    Free Member

Scott voltage, my son has one and it’s great!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

rose granite chief

wiggles
    Free Member

Just a frame?

Some cheap deals on cube Fritz 180’s or hanzz about.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Yup looking for just a frame, not really looking to spend anymore than £500 (that’s still a lot of money for me!) thanks for your replies y’all but the scott is £1400! And wiggles care to link? No cube frames onlys are coming up on google? 🙂

moniex
    Free Member

New voltage out now, so just get a used voltage frame, that’s what we did. Plenty about!

Don’t think £500 is enough for a new fr frame.

wiggles
    Free Member

They generally only sell as full bikes.

£500 puts you into 2nd hand orange patriot (or similar) territory probably

jedi

500? wont buy you a new frame fro freeride

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Don’t mind buying a used frame at all, I’d actually prefer to cos you get waay more for your pound. Should I look for a used voltage frame then? Also the Spesh Demo 8 is sexy as hell gawdd :O
    Edit: there’s a patriot with less than half a day left going very cheap on ebay, worth looking at for freeride?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Voltage. Used full bike for 750. Sell the parts.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Voltage FR frame is great, very versatile, rear travel can be from 135mm to 180mm with different shock mounts.
    Nice neutral handling, jumps really nicely and really easy to whip.

moniex
    Free Member

As far as I know the demo is a dh frame.

Voltage only comes in short or long, my son has a short. Lots of spares about too. Bought our frame a year ago for £350 (2012 frame and shock). Try pink bike.

Sometimes these frames have been well used, but when we built ours up we were impressed with the quality. I think it’ll take some abuse!

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll deff check out the voltage what do you guys think of the nukeproof frames? They look really good and I’ve heard very good thing about them…

jam-bo

Freeride is soooo 2008.

What you want is enduro…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Specialized SX trail too. Not a commencal mini.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Over budget a bit but theres a large canyon torque in tbe outlet store for seven hundred and something quid.

chakaping
    Free Member

New style orange patriots can be had for 500.

Don’t pay that much for a pre-2012 frame.

chakaping
    Free Member

Really nice riding bike, BTW.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

flatoutcycles have some interesting freeride frames at the moment.

rentachimp
    Free Member

I seem to remember the Nukeproof Rook looking rather tasty yet reasonably priced…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thanks everyone! I’m considering the patriot and loving the look of the rook (didnt even mean to xD) but it’s discontinued I think. I’ve found a Demo 7 with 66s going for £300ish, think I’ll go for it? 🙂

saxabar
    Free Member

I have an Intense 6.6 frame sat around. Will do for a very fair price. Also have a Fox 36 fork to go with it. Email in profile 🙂

HansRey

if you can find one with the 150mm dropouts, what about a Marin Quake? They build quality is fantastic.

HansRey

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marin-Quake-7-2-XLT-/221544386701?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item339513108d like this one. £540 buy it now, or make an offer. Full bike for sale. It’s not mine, but it looks good!

chakaping
    Free Member

flatoutcycles have some interesting freeride frames at the moment.

Sounds like you know what you’re doing OP, but I’d be very wary of traders like the one mentioned here.

Trying to charge well over market rate for a frame photographed against a white sheet and clogging up the Pinkbike classifieds.

Not to mention the lack of traceability.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Emailing you right now saxabar! And @Hans Ray I’m not exactly in love with the Marin tbh, but thank you anyway 🙂 And thank you for that chakaping, you’ve got a brilliant point there which should not be understated! I’d never pay over market rate anyway, I’m not that desperate ;p

kimbers

kona entourage s/h from pinkbike or similar

eg

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1630555/

jamesfts
    Free Member

If you’re on a budget get a second hand Specialized Pitch frame, great all rounder that’ll do everything from xc to dh.

With the cash left over get the shock tuned and some offset bushes.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Wow that Kona looks frigging sweet :O Dude’s go the same lidl stand as me 😆 but he doesn’t accept cuddly toys??? wtf?? also, just searched up the Kona, you can buy the complete bike brand new from chain reaction for £1200, but that’s with domains and a fox van r, but I don’t know the difference!

Pitch huh? Looking at the geo I was actually considering it! But after going onto the spesh website and them saying it was an xc bike, I ruled it out, but I’ll have another look 🙂 How does it compare to the stumpjumper fsr?

EDIT: you guys please I need your advice quick, what do you think of the Lappiere Froggy? Some guys selling a frame and shock for £200?

honourablegeorge
    cookeaa

for £500 you could buy a couple of old Kona Stinky’s, one to build, one for spares when you break it and probably have change for a shock service too…

Dare I say it at the used, VFM end of the market you probably want to be shopping for more “Common” bikes, lack of novelty, nicheness drives the 2nd hand pricing down and you get a perfectly good frame you’ll happily ride into the ground rather than a bit of “Cheap Bling” that will end up costing you more to own/build/run/repair than you ever really planned for…

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a froggy, it was alright. Could probably be tweaked to make it better.

You sure it’s not cracked for £200? Seemed bombproof but the guy who bought mine cracked it at the Mega.

_tom_
    Free Member

Voltage, you won’t get a better value bike for the money. I’ve just bought my 2nd one, had to sell my first to pay for bills. Can’t wait to get it built up again. They jump so well, really fun bike.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Have to recommend a Marin Wolf Ridge (or any Quad 140/150) frame, they’re well within budget and they’re a hoot to ride. Watch sizing though, as the large comes up pretty short.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for an SX Trail from me – loved mine. Very capable bike.

A lot of lads I rode with ditched their Demo’s for one when then came out and it didn’t slow them down. Pretty cheap now too – I sold my frame last year for about £200.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

@HonourableGeorge WOW that’s a good deal, I mean compared to the rrp :O £800 is too much for me, and don’t ask me why because I don’t like to say :S £500 is prob my absolute max for a frame… Are the patriots good for freeride? There’s a few on the bay…

@Cookea you have a brilliant point actually, if anything happens to the fancy niche frames they’ll be much more expensive to repair/service/replace. But are the stinkys any good? They’re very cheap, but are they any good?

@chakaping it was a guy on here who posted quite a few ads a while ago on the classifieds, it does seems a bit too good to be true, but I was wondering maybe they’re a very bad model or something?

@tom yeah everyone says the voltage is the shit, if I find one, I’m getting it! 😀

jamesfts
    Free Member

The Pitch is pretty versatile, I wouldn’t describe it as an xc bike but can be built up either way.

Think of it more as a budget version of the Enduro. Not everyone gets on with FSR but if you do they’re a great bit of kit for the price. You should be able to get a good frame for £300

I had one with Fox 36s, rp3, dropper and 1×10 and rode everything from xc to proper downhill with just a change of tyres.

Few here…
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/listnew/?region=5&q=pitch&category=6

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are the patriots good for freeride?

How are you defining freeride?

North Shore?
    Hucking/Red Bull Rampage?
    Slopestyle?
    Bike Park?

Depending on how old you go the definition of ‘free-ride’ has changed over time. Everything from dirtjump bikes with 4″ rear suspension, to 8″ travel bikes with XC head angles, to DH bikes with <7″ travel that can just about be pedaled up hill to what’s now called ‘enduro’.

cookeaa

@Cookea you have a brilliant point actually, if anything happens to the fancy niche frames they’ll be much more expensive to repair/service/replace. But are the stinkys any good? They’re very cheap, but are they any good?

Depends what you want from a “Freeride” bike really, Pre-Operator/Entourage/Process Kona’s bigger bouncey bikes were a bit more ‘FR’ orientated than ‘Racey’ they are robust enough, not the lightest, not the heaviest either, the angles and BB heights tended to lend themselves better to trundling about on skinnies, hitting six packs, and plopping off stuff, than pinning it through a rooty off camber corner, but they can be raced should you ever want to…

They’ll take a longer travel DH fork or a single crown they’ll take a chain device or a front mech, it’s whatever you make of it…

I ride an old Stab (essentially the same frame), Does the job but isn’t exactly “Sexy”…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Best Freeride frame in terms of value for money?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts