Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best free FTP client or is there a better way to download a site?
  • spacemonkey

I have a couple of sites that I want to backup/download before deciding what to do with them. Have used FileZilla to do the usual FTPing in the past, but it seems to have a very errative connection and keeps dropping files – which is no use when I've got hundreds of files across multiple directories to download (and maintain the same structure).

Therefore, is there a better free FTP client out there? Or is there a better way to backup/download a whole site?

TVM
    SM

GaryLake
    Free Member

Filezilla

Edit: ha, posted that without reading your post, I've found Filezilla so good that I wouldn't need to. Surprised you've been having problems with it, up to date?

GrahamS

I usually just use FireFTP – an FTP add-on for Firefox, but my requirements are fairly simple.

I have used SmartFTP in the past, which is more fully featured.

spacemonkey

TBH, Filezilla has all the functionality I need, but it's always had a connection issue (for me anyway), e.g.

Could not connect to server.
    Delaying connection due to previously failed connection attempt …

uplink
    Free Member

Without wanting to sound too geeky – I prefer doing it from a DOS shell

however FireFTP is good

stratobiker
    Free Member

I use WS_FTP pro.
    You have to pay for the full version, but you can download a 30 day trial version here…

http://www.ipswitchft.com/?k_id=ipshome

I reckon it's the best.

SB

epicsteve
    Free Member

I use Core FTP Lite and find that pretty good.

allthepies
    Free Member

Filezilla here.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Delaying connection due to previously failed connection attempt ..

doesn't that just mean you have a bad connection that won't work well with any other client either ?

rootes1

for downloading whole sites without using ftp

Offline Explorer

spacemonkey

Delaying connection due to previously failed connection attempt ..

doesn't that just mean you have a bad connection that won't work well with any other client either ?

That's what I used to thinkbut a friend's laptop (running a different FTP client) never had any problems here. He's in Sweden and I can't track him down, hence asking here.

Thanks for the list guys.
    SM

Top.Dog
    Free Member

cute ftp

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best free FTP client or is there a better way to download a site?’ is closed to new replies.