Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • best free firewall
  • righty
    Free Member

still using sygate which seems to work fine but thinking of updating,what are people using?

dave_aber
    Free Member

smoothwall

Rich
    Free Member

I just have my wireless router so a software one isn’t needed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dave_aber
    Free Member

Rich – If you are sure of that, can I have your IP address ? 😉

righty
    Free Member

you might not feel the need for one, but I certainly wouldnt be without one in addition to my router, I want to control who is connecting to my network and control who my network connects to :mrgreen:

righty
    Free Member

yeah lets show him why he might need one 😆

Rich
    Free Member

Maybe Im wrong then, but its what I read when looking into it and Ive never had any problems in years.

Rich
    Free Member

Also Ive tried online tests that see if your computer is hidden, as such, and it always passes.

But Im no expert.

samuri
    Free Member

Rich – If you are sure of that, can I have your IP address ? [:wink:]

You can have mine if you like and that’s all I’ve got. If there’s no inbound port or address translation and assuming there’s no known vulnerabilities with the router in question, the worst you’re going to be able to do is a denial of service.

Where a software firewall comes into it’s own is blocking trojans and other malicious code from sending out stuff from your device without your knowledge. However, you will have to approve every piece of legitimate traffic that attempts to get out and you’ll find that’s quite a lot. Most people find it’s so much that they just allow everything outbound.

I wouldn’t bother if I were you to be honest. Anti-malware and anti-virus will provide you with much better protection.

(Note that all the above refers to standard *routers* and not to USB modems, they’re wide open and you *must* get a firewall of some desrciption if you have a USB modem)

dave_aber
    Free Member

Hardware firewall – Prevents incoming connections other than those specifically allowed. Either seperate box or built-in to your router.

Software firewall – Controls which applications get outbound access. Typically, a trojan keylogger or spam generator will try to send data outbound. A good software (desktop) firewall should prevent this.

Similar names, different jobs, both required.

Your testing for ‘hidden-ness’ is testing your hardware firewall. Windows does have a built-in software firewall, but it’s not the best, and is an obvious target for the devious. Zone alarm is free.

bearGrease

iptables

Surfr
    Free Member

Most routers are using iptables mind.

Rich
    Free Member

That’s what I thought.

I have good antivirus and antispyware, so nothing has ever installed that I didnt want to.

Also I’ve tried Zonealarm, Outpost etc in the past and found they just tied up the memory too much.

My computer is now faster and more user-friendly because of it.

But we all make our own choices.

🙂

righty
    Free Member

isnt smoothwall linux only? Not had good experiences with zonealarm. anyone using PC tools?

Drac

Yup I just use my router more than enough for home user.

Surfr
    Free Member

Smoothwall requires a dedicated PC to run it doesn’t it? like m0nowall et al.

andym
    Free Member

I use ashampoo. Let’s me know exactly which applications are calling out. A bit irritating at first to get constant alarms but over time you build up a comprehensive set of rules.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Smoothwall basically turns an old PC into a hardware firewall. It’s a linux distro that you install with 2 network cards, and then it just sits and does its thing.

You manage it from your PC on the ‘safe’ side of the firewall via a web interface. Worth a play if you are into that sort of thing. As most routers now come with a built-in firewall it’s debatable whether it is worth it these days.

jedi

comodo for me.
    zonealarm made my pc slow

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘best free firewall’ is closed to new replies.