Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best Font for Websites.
  • NJA

I have a number of websites that I have built myself, with varying success. But one of the things that people often say to me is that I am using the wrong font for my text.

I normally use Arial as I find it easy to read, but it seems many others don’t share my view.

So is there a best font for a website, or is it just personal preference.

Thanks
    Nick.

johndoh
    Free Member

Personal preference to an extent and also appropriateness for the website (ie, Comic Sans on an Undertaker’s site might not feel appropriate, a traditional serif font might feel appropriate for a financial site etc)

Currently I am liking the web font ‘freight sans’.

bencooper
    Free Member

I like Verdana – designed for websites, it’s clear and doesn’t look cramped.

Drac

Comic Sans.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Bradley hand.

atlaz
    Free Member

Comic Sans is not to be used on websites except if you’re creating a comic website for kids. THAT is why the font exists in the first place.

Drac

Rubbish, it’s hilarious everyone loves it.

johndoh
    Free Member

I agree with Drac, Comic Sans definitely deserves to be used liberally on the interweb.

bokonon
    Free Member

The question isn’t so much “which typeface” but which font will work – even if you use a typeface, the person at the other end might not have it, as such, it’s a good idea to use google webfonts, so you can either use the typeface locally, or the browser will D/L the font and use it from google – http://www.google.com/webfonts#

This limits your choice a little, but not a lot.

I’d say there is nothing wrong with Arial in terms of screen readability, but it’s a slightly old and tired font, which has been used lots and lots, and as such has certain connotations about it – so something like verdana, calibri, liberations sans, open sans or Cabin will work well.

The other thing is size, and context – having one typeface across the whole site tends to look a little dated, and less easy to navigate, it is normal to have a body type, and heading type, and an emphasis or quote typeface – then keeping this consistent across the whole site, without exception, tends to help.

NJA

Will Writing and Bereavement Services (good guess johndoh) so I won’t be hurrying to use Comic Sans.

Open to sensible suggestions I am not wedded to Arial.

bruneep

I agree with Drac, Comic Sans definitely deserves to be used liberally on the interweb.

and on PP presentations

footflaps

Will Writing and Bereavement Services

Ideal use for Comic Sans, it will lighten the tone and lift people’s spirits a bit in their hour of need 🙂

nbt

dti

been atruggling with this one, the ones that look good on print and are narrow (more text per inch) are difficult to read on websites.
    I’ll try comic sans

butcher

I can’t imagine anyone finding arial difficult to read but you could make it difficult to read if you wanted to. Just play around with line heights and character spacing, justify the text, mess up the paragraph margins, move it too close to other content, etc…

You may have done this already?

johndoh
    Free Member

The question isn’t so much “which typeface” but which font will work – even if you use a typeface, the person at the other end might not have it, as such, it’s a good idea to use google webfonts, so you can either use the typeface locally, or the browser will D/L the font and use it from google – http://www.google.com/webfonts#

*Other web font suppliers are available*

redthunder
    Free Member

@NJA
    I need to revise my Will. Where are you based and what are you starting fees ?

EDit: Just noticed your in Peterborough.

To others solicitors here: SouthGlos/ Bristol… Will writer wanted 🙂

DaRC_L

read this Smashing Mag – Fonts article

and anything but comic sans which should be reserved for the delusional maniac 👿

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best Font for Websites.’ is closed to new replies.