Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best folding bike to fit in a normal suitcase
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For plane travel.

By ‘best’ I mean best for actual bike rides. Folding/unfolding time not an issue. Disassembly also acceptable.

scotroutes

Ibis Tranny. The rear triangle can be easily removed for transport.

edhornby

Get an inexpensive steel frame (inbred?) bike and get S&S couplers on the toptube and down tube

epicyclo

Road or mtb use?

IA

As above, something with S&S couplers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wwaswas

Airnimal?

benp1

Where are you travelling to?
    What sort of terrain?
    How long for?
    Where will you be staying? Can you store the bike safely?
    What luggage capacity will you have?
    What will the trip be for?

Depending on the answers it could range massively. From a steel framed something with S&S couplings to an Airnimal, Bike Friday or Brompton

Weight might be an issue so you’ll need to be able to put clothes in your hand luggage maybe?

dc2.0

I’ve an airnimal joey with 24″ wheels that I used to use when travelling overseas a lot. Don’t travel as much now so might be time to sell if you’re interested. Have kojack slicks, MTB knobbliest and something a bit in between…

dovebiker

I’ve got a titanium CX clone of the Ritchey Breakaway – it rides no differently from a regular CX bike and I’ve happily raced it, ridden trail centres and gone exploring. Breakaway case is a bit bigger than a regular case, you won’t get charged airline baggage fees and fits neatly in the boot of a car – fitted in the boot of a Smart car. Take 2 pairs of tyres (CX/road) for choice of riding. The latest Breakaway is carbon – not sure I’d trust any airline with a carbon frame in a soft case – one crush and it’s toast!

TiRed

Ainimal or Ritchey, or S&S. Personally, replacing the fork every time is a pfaff. I used to ride my Brompton packed into the Airnimal Hard Case. I’d probably go for an Airnimal, having owned a Rhino in the past.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I couldn’t even get my Brompton in my normal suitcase. They do a special case for it, but last time I checked even that was outside the normal airline checked baggage size.

molgrips
    Free Member

It woudl be for travelling with work. Just wondering if it’d be possible for me to say move to Scotland. I get sent all over the UK normally but if I were in Scotland I’d have to fly more and if I wanted to ride during the week I’d need a bike.

Storage is in hotel rooms, travel is ony during the week.

As for road or mtb – whichever really. A rigid 29er would do both.

dc2.0 – how much for the Joey?

SaxonRider

Just wondering if it’d be possible for me to say move to Scotland.

You’re moving to Scotland? 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not moving anywhere for quite some time for a number of reasons.

Just following one of my hypothetical thought paths following a conversation with a mate who is.

benp1

Storage is in hotel rooms, travel is ony during the week.

That is killer

Most hotels won’t knowingly let you store a bike in your room. So either you have to sneak it in and out every single time, or have a bike that can break down quickly. S&S couplings or similar won’t work for that. Brompton would be perfect but might not be the bike you want if you want to be able to get out for a longish ride

Plus you need to think about where you put your clothes, and the weight limit. A week at a time, personal and business clothes required. I reckon a Brompton or an Airnimal would be your best bet – former for folding and ease of storage, latter for actually riding

EDIT – I’m biased, I have a Brompton, I love it. If I was in your position I’d be taking the Brompton everywhere with me, but it doesn’t compare to riding a full sized bike. The clown bike is incredibly convenient though

molgrips
    Free Member

Most hotels won’t knowingly let you store a bike in your room.

You know, I have been doing this for five years*, and only once has any hotel complained – and that was a shitty (grumpy) family run job. I’ve wheeled my dirty commuter bike through some serioulsy posh lobbies and been met with nothing but smiles.

* this meaning travelling by train or car

epicyclo

dovebiker – Member
    I’ve got a titanium CX clone of the Ritchey Breakaway…

Where did you get it? Ti seems ideal for a bike that’s likely to get scratched a lot.

Molgrips, sorry about the OT. How about the Dahon Mu Uno?

My son has one and it’s pretty nippy.

dc2.0

@molgrips – have sent an email to address in your profile.

dovebiker

I had the frame custom built by Xi’an Titanium about 6-7 years ago – downtube coupling is an S+S clone with Ritchey split seat-collar. Takes about 10 minutes to disassemble/assemble

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best folding bike to fit in a normal suitcase’ is closed to new replies.