Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Best fit and forget brakes
  • Euro
    Free Member

Surely ‘fit and forget’ is down to the owner not the brakes?

My Marin (bought in 07) had Avid Juicy 3s which were forgot about for 4 years – no new pads, fluid, nothing. For two of those years it was my only bike and got used for everything and they worked great. A friend was changing pads on a different set of brakes and I thought i’d have a look at mine. Obviously all 4 pads were worn to the metal, but they still worked. Proper fit and forget.

sbob
    Free Member

Leftfield choice: Magura rim brakes. I think the ones I have are 17yrs old.
    My 12yr old Formulas are still good.

nicko74

Another vote for Formula Oro’s. I installed mine 4 years ago, have changed the pads a couple of times and that’s it.

I should probably bleed them at some point.

ska-49
    Free Member

I havent had any issues with my new shape XTs and have been my favourite brakes to date.

Not had issues with juicy 7, Hayes 9 either but have had a nightmare with Elixiers and hopes.

Mintyjim

I have the latest XTR and I loved them. Then both front and rear pistons popped, pissing oil everywhere. Ruined the pads and you can’t repair the caliper. Not amused in the slightest because they were truly awesome, but I can hardly call them fit and forget.

Cheezpleez

I’ve had several sets of Shimano brakes of various models and never had any issues with them. Consistent performance and totally reliable.

I’ve been using Hayes Stroker Trails for about four years and now have them on four bikes. Dead cheap, zero maintenance and great performance.

loddrik
    Free Member

Very tempted to try Shimano, seem to fit the bill.

What’s the difference between XT & XTR? Not necessarily the current model, just in general terms with regards disc brakes?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Then both front and rear pistons popped

What do you mean popped, as in popped out or the seals went on them?

ononeorange

Hope for me. Plenty enough stopping and even I can maintain them. Brilliant after-sales service / help.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Shimano.

I have some Deore M525s that have been on three bikes ~5 years old. I’ve never bled or done any maintenance on them apart from change pads, and once changed worn rotors. They seem to work just fine.

I now have SLX M666’s on my FS bike; the bite and power is awsums. Hoping they are similarly reliable.

EDIT. I lie… I smashed the left lever assy in a crash a couple of years back and the bike shop fitted replacements, so they have been bled once.

hora
    Free Member

Shimano Servowave XT’s. I’ve had them going on two years soon. I’ve not touched them once. No idea what the screws ontop do either!

_tom_
    Free Member

Go on…

I may have just got a dodgy set but when pushing my pistons back in with the pads still in (screwdriver between the pads), one of them managed to crack and piss fluid everywhere. It did need a lot of force so hopefully a warranty job although I’m still yet to hear back from Rose regarding this. I now don’t really trust the one that does work!

Anothing thing about shimanos is that their levers look gash.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Best fit and forget brakes’ is closed to new replies.