Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Best family/bike transport car
  • bruders338
    Free Member

Good afternoon.

Its been a while.
    Anyway I’ve been looking now for a few weeks for the perfect (for my needs) car/van/people waggon.

I think my problem is im asking too much from a car. and really would like some advice if possible.

I’m after something.

estate or people carrier
    family orientated 1 mrs 3 children
    something a little sporty (so i can have fun at the weekends)
    and able to carry bikes

budget is approx 20k

so far ive looked at

transporters
    vito
    bmw touring
    audi s3 sportback/s4 avant

my other problem then is reliability and service cost need to be reasonable.

Many thanks

Bregante

S-Max?

Supposedly one of the best driving people carriers. I was in one which belongs to another forum member a few months ago and was very impressed. They’re enormous. Renton on here has a nice one for sale in the classifieds.

My money would probably go on a Mondeo estate or a Subaru Outback.

nealy
    Free Member

Skoda Superb Estate is huuuge and does very well is reviews as does the slightly smaller Octavia estate

sssimon
    Free Member

3 kids in an s3 is going to feel cosy

that money for me would be 5 series touring, a6 avant, or superb estate

cost of running will vary a fair bit from a bmw to a skoda

crispy
    Free Member

There’s an S-Max in the Classifieds (not mine) which would tick all of your boxes for half that price.

hora
    Free Member

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso.

bruders338
    Free Member

Going to check the classified now

transporter13
    Free Member

As a galaxy owner if happily endorse the above comments and say an smax. The only difference between them is the sloping roofline behind the rear doors so slightly less room if you need to cram stuff in or have adults in the 6/7 seats.

cakefacesmallblock

I have a Skoda Superb estate. ( 140 tdi). Its a firm’s car and I chose it on the basis that it costs a lot less in personal tax than a Passat, A6 or 5 series . Driven “normally” it doesn’t give more than about 45mpg on mixed driving, but will give 52mpg on a long motorway run. A very comfy place for 4 folk to be and easy to fold seats down and get an mtb in with both wheels still in place. Reasonably quick and agile for a big car too. Split folding seats, will carry a bike and 4 folk easily, or two people and two bikes.

allfankledup

Vw t5 combi

3 kids, large dog, 5 bikes

Enough bhp (was a 174 before it got “enhanced”) goes ok when you need it to

Twin slidy side doors so great for kids drop off – tailgate to shelter from the rain. It rocks

lardman
    Free Member

I have an S max.
    3 kids, lots of stuff.

I’d say it’s a great car, but I’m not really ‘into’ cars.

I can however get 6 adults, and 6 bikes on it. 3 on top, 3 on boot rack.
    2.0 diesel TDCi, and it goes when you need it, reasonably economical with a light touch.

Full glass pano roof is a bonus for when you’re in the the mountains too.
    Got it 9 months old, with 21k on the clock for 15 grand.

lardman
    Free Member

I also got a full size pool table into it, when I bought one for the office. It’s a cavern in the back with all seats down.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

I got a 2 year old A6 avant for a little less than that. 170bhp 2l tdi. Lots of space. Long life servicing so it’s every 19k miles or 2 years (more expensive on individual service, but cheaper over time).

Would I buy again – yes – love it other than low profile tyres which make it a bit harsh given amount of mileage I do.

slackboy

Skoda Octavia VRS (petrol), around 225 hp will do the job.

igm

I went S-Max too.

Don’t regret it.

One thing though. It drives superbly for a people carrier, but I was back in the car it’s based on, a Mondeo, last week and the handling in the Mondeo is in a different class – that said the Mondeo challenges (and just loses to) the BMW 3 series.

Spud

Having just got rid of an E-Class Estate (it was big too) and bought a VW Caravelle, I’d say most estates would be snug with three kids and all the kit a family might want to take along. We had an Octavia vRS before the Merc and I wouldn’t recommend one for three in the back. Especially if you need three booster seats.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

something a little sporty (so i can have fun at the weekends)

+

transporters
    vito

Does not compute. Depending on how large you want your fuel bills to be, B8 shape S4 Avant would feature VERY highly on my list. As would a BMW 335D/I Touring. Both a bit smaller than Mondeos etc but on another planet in terms of build quality and ‘sporty to drive’-ness. Might be a squeeze with 3 kids across the back too.

I think for 3 kids in the back you need to be looking at big estates and people carriers (so kiss goodbye to something sporty for the weekend). A6s, Mondeos, Passats. In fact, if you can find one, a Passat R36 might tick the boxes and you should get one with at least £5k change from your budget for a perfect one.

Otherwise, family box on wheels like an SMax/Touran etc etc and a mk1 MX 5 for the weekend + a load of change.

freeagent
    Free Member

If you don’t need 7 seats then a Passat or Superb Estate is a good shout.
    There are some very high spec models which loose loads of money in the first 12-18 months.
    I have a ’14 plate Passat Estate and it is vast inside – loads of rear legroom and boot space.

rickmeister

I wouldnt get a Touran.. its motoring atrophy…. Allfankledup ^^^ has my old T5.. I would say it ticks the sporty / Transporters box and would be way more practical than an S4

Sundayjumper

Scrap the idea of something sporty as that’s not compatible with any of your other family-based criteria. And you even entertained the idea that an S3 would be suitable to carry a missus, three kids & all your bikes/stuff ?? LOL !

My BiL is not a cyclist but he does have three kids and when the third arrived he traded up from a Passat estate to an XC90. He has been very pleased with it.

bruders338
    Free Member

Ok maybe the s3 was a bad idea. I think I was just finding ways to justify it.

Im liking the passat r36 in estate form..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep some very odd request from 1 vehicle. The only thing that could come remotely close would be a 5 series touring.

With 3 kids you are going to have to compromise.

Personally I would stay clear of Audi if you want a sporty car. They are fast, but certainly not sporty by any stretch. Smax or any other people carrier and accept you have kids.

As above then spend £2k on Mk1 MX5 for fun

br
    Free Member

With 3 kids I wouldn’t bother with anything smaller than a Mondeo sized vehicle. And tbh based on how good the MPV’s are now compared to when my lot were young, I’d get a more powerful people carrier.

Plus a towbar so you can carry the bikes outside when you want/need to.

takisawa2

Nice Smax, & something like an MX3 or that Honda S2000 they used to make.
    And, squirrel away a bike fund contribution. 😉

aw
    Free Member

I had a Toyota Avensis estate which was great for 3 kids and family as well as bikes with a roof bike rack but no way sporty of course.

I now have a Citroen Xsara Picasso which is a great people carrier and has removal seating turning it into a great bike carrier with two seats left. Of course can use rear rack and keep seating in.

danbo
    Free Member

Another vote for SMAX. Ive got a remapped diesel and its pretty swift. Some of the newer more powerful versions would be quite good fun for people carriers.

They do have loads of space too, my FS 29er fits in with wheels on with one of the rear seats still useable.

backinireland
    Free Member

Must say we’ve had a lot of problems with the grand picasso , our mechanic doesn’t rate them and at least one local garage refuses them as trade ins

bruders338
    Free Member

Smax is getting loads of love.

I think me and my son shall have alook today.
    Thank for all the comment of suggestions

slowrider
    Free Member

Take a bike along and see if you can get it in the back stood up with both wheels on!

It’s currently top of my shopping list. My son gets a mobility car and were desperate to find something that can fit his trike or our tandem in the back.

Harry_the_Spider

I think me and my son shall have a look today.

What did you get?

It was my Smax that Bregante was impressed with.

I didn’t see this thread when it was first out as I was on holiday. 4 adults and 2 kids with all of our stuff… in the Smax (with a roof box).

As a freighter it is the best car I’ve ever had. Drive is OK and I’m getting 42 mpg from a 1.8 diesel, the 2 ltr is better apparently.

Bregante

It was my Smax that Bregante was impressed with.

It’s that big that I was nearly late for a night ride after I climbed in the back to get my bike and couldn’t find my way out! 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I know this is an old thread. But for your budget you can get a nice double cab van and a smaller car too, surely?

robdob
    Free Member

Anyone recommending a van when you asked for something a bit fun is a total Muppet.

Get a car that you like and that fits everyone in, put a towbar on it and get a decent Thule rack for the towbar. Job done!

tom200

This is easy, subaru legacy estate (spec b preferably).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have an Smax and it’s okay but it’s not that much bigger inside than a big estate yet drives like something quite a bit bigger than a big estate.

I’m getting a big estate next time.

My feeling is, if you want big then go van. If you want driving then go estate. But inbetween is not very good at either.

backinireland
    Free Member

Discovery 3

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Best family/bike transport car’ is closed to new replies.