Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best ever mountain descents in Scotland, in November – ideas please!
  • thekettle
    Free Member

I’m planning a 2 day Scottish riding mission in November, aiming to sample the best and gnarliest natural mountain trails on offer (weather permitting!). Happy to do Munro size hike-a-bikes to get the best technical descents in, looking for trails no further North than A86 ideally (not Torridon!).
    I’ve walked and climbed extensively up there (13 consecutive winters as a mountain guide in East and West Highlands) but never ridden North of the Tweed Valley. Hoping the collective brilliance of Singletrack can help me out?

james
    Free Member

Never ridden any of them nor have an extensive knowledge of the area but maybe:
    Devils staircase/Kinlochleven
    Ben Lomond the other way down (ie up the main/tourist path)
    Ben Nevis,either to the top or the loop in the V graphics Scotland book 2. The goes about 2/3 of the way up, across and down the tourist path

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve walked and climbed extensively up there (13 consecutive winters as a mountain guide in East and West Highlands)

Then you should know that November may not be ideal!

matt_outandabout

Beinn A’Ghlo over the tops?

Or Devils staircai over from Glencoe to Kinlochleven and back?

Northwind

I’m embarassingly un-well-travelled in the north but the riding just north of kinlochleven is some of the best I’ve found anywhere, and conveniently rides better when it’s wet. Very selfcontained so not very “big mountain”, I don’t think you even get 6 miles from the pub.

thekettle
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions, Spin yes I know it could be full winter conditions! But I’m sure there’s plenty of good lower pass and mountain valley riding I don’t know about yet..
    Not sure Ben Nevis would be up to much (other than snowy), Red Burn track is distinctly lacking in corners?
    Got the VG Scotland book 1, will have a look at 2 aswell now cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have a wee search for the munros back into mountain biking thread. Pick a mountain, but be aware that there’s every chance it’ll be under a foot of snow, and inch of ice below that!.

In saying that, I’ve been atop Sgorr Gaoith in November, was a perfect crisp winter day, 10 degrees in Glen Feshie at bthe start, -10 at the summit.

thekettle
    Free Member

Beinn A’Ghlo? where is that sorry?

ton

nevis dh course…obviously

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

DH shut in november.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not far out of Blair Atholl thekettle.

scotroutes

I assume your 13 years experience in the East and West Highlands includes map reading? 😆

As above, find Lukes Munro Bagging thread and scan through that. There is also a Facebook group… https://www.facebook.com/groups/461643593920740/
    that includes some pointers and reviews.

thekettle
    Free Member

Cheers. Nevis DH course definitely not a natural trail, but it is on the list for another time. Northwind that sounds like the Grey Corries/Mamores area, any standout descents (other than Devils’ staircase)?

fergal
    Free Member

Where’s Beinn a’ghlo, thought you were the mountain guide 🙂

PS beat me to it

thekettle
    Free Member

Yes yes yes. Map reading but not remembering hill names sorry!
    No joy yet searching for any munro threads.. thanks for FB link.

Northwind

thekettle – Member

Northwind that sounds like the Grey Corries/Mamores area, any standout descents (other than Devils’ staircase)?

I don’t know the real names- nothing on my OS- but the 2 they use in the dudes of hazard enduro are the best I’ve done round there. The 2 northern loops in this:

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue_Map_TrailViewer.aspx?VenueNumber=35&TrailNumber=360&Unique=635483135317847500

Easy to find, just up the mamore lodge road past the lodge, past the farmhouse. First one starts off to the right just beside a viewpoint with a ridiculously exposed bench, you see the trail from ages away. Second you go further up the same road and double back and climb on singletrack. Both lead back to the town.

Oh aye- they’ll be being used for the race again this november, I’m sure, so best avoid the 8th and 9th!

dh
    Free Member

really enjoyed loch muick area near ballatar, over to glen cova etc. Not sure about it in November mind you…

Spin
    Free Member

There’s a spreadsheet of rideable munros on the FB group Scotroutes linked to. Plenty to look at there.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    bullroar
    Free Member

Have a rummage here:

Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros

Ref Kinlochleven, there is the Ciaran Path from the Blackwater Dam to the Ice factor, from the landie track between the old Mamore Lodge and Loch Eilde Mor there is the Grey Mares tail path and the other “Enduro” track further East. If you look on the big thread above you should find info on some rides in the Mamores.

thekettle
    Free Member

Awesome. Threads favourited, FB group joined, you guys are brilliant! :mrgreen:

fergal
    Free Member

The Lakes has better descents and is more likely to be snow free.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

If you do decide on Kinlochleven, just be aware that Dudes of Hazard have their enduro the weekend of the 8th & 9th November so it’ll be pretty busy.

ton

i meant nevis dh as a cheeky winter dh.
    push up, ride down.

thekettle
    Free Member

The Lakes? That would be where I live 🙄
    going up 2 weeks after the Dudenduro.

bullroar
    Free Member

End of November, hope you have plenty of lumens on board 🙂

mactheknife

Thekettle drop me a line nearer the time if you want, email in profile. I live about an hour away from Glen Doll and an hour and half from Braemar. If the weather is reasonable ill happily take you round some big routes up that way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d jump at that offer OP

thekettle
    Free Member

Will do. Psyched 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best ever mountain descents in Scotland, in November – ideas please!’ is closed to new replies.