Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • ??Best dual sus for the UK??
  • dano
    Free Member

So what do you think… It would have to be good for the lakes and peaks…also in the trail centres and singletrack… hard wearing but good performance… hmmm…

atlaz
    Free Member

You're on STW, the answer is a rigid SS Ti 29er.

grumm
    Free Member

The one you like best after trying a few.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GW
    Free Member

what a silly question 😕

brakes
    Free Member

I'd say you need at least 34 bikes for that kind of riding

dano
    Free Member

what a silly answer…

dano
    Free Member

i have checked all the reviews and they seem so misleading… meta 5 were meant to be the best thing since sliced bread, but this year have probably had a higher failure rate than any other bike… people go on about 130-160 travel, but seem to forget that 80% of the time you are climbing… 🙄

mk1fan
    Free Member

+1 with grum.

It is a silly question because what I find great in a bike you may find terrible. Personally, I have no reason to change from my Hustler. I think it's awesome and there is very little in the UK that (imo) challenges it. But it isn't a light weight at 30lbs. For some this is akin to you fiddling with their children.

Others feel the Orange Five got it right.

duir
    Free Member

All the Coves I have owned have been faultless as you would expect from hand made frames from a similar climate to Scotland. Unfortunately Coves customer service and communication frequently let them down but the need to warranty a Cove frame is such a rare event that it shouldn't put you off. I currently run a Cove downhill and hardtail bike but will be looking at other makes for my next (so called) all mountain bike.

On paper the Orange 5 seems to be the right bike for the UK with Cove like durability and reliability but added to easy maintenence, easy to repair, available spares, simple design and a company with a good warranty/customer service.

Lots of people go for the latest swanky bikes because they look pretty or have a great paintjob. For riding in the UK you really need to ask yourself if you want something designed and tested in Californian sun or Yorkshire/Canadian mud!

There are also several other makes of bike that have great reputations so just try to demo as many as you can.

Ultimately your decision must be based on the correct geometry for your carcass and quality of ride. Pretty paint, gimmicks and trends should come way down the list.

HansRey

look at what's reliable and popular, and with in your price bracket. I've just got a marin quake, which will be a bit much for your purposes. The lower travel models are worth looking at however.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its not a silly question-its a stupid one 😯

PJM1974
    Free Member

I love my Marin*. But then I don't get out much these days.

Some people love the idea of a decent single pivot with easily replaceable off the shelf bearings and to be fair after spending £100 having the bearings replaced on my Specialized Enduro it's a brilliant idea.

*Warrantied bearing replacement and slack geometry helps

Notter
    Free Member

STW amateur…..it's not about the bike, it's about the tyres 😉

Best tyres for the UK anyone?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Circular ones.

Tread optional.

angryratio
    Free Member

Pitch? a bike for just riding?

Popocatapetl

Hmmm, check out my new "P". Obviously a Trek Fuel Ex 8. (has to be in black , white and gold, not the new polished aluminium) Then spend all, and i mean All your spare cash on it and it will have cost you twice as much as it's worth 😯 ( like mine)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

For your 1st FS, I would say go mainstream. Last years Giant, Spesh, Trek etc are not "cool" or "niche" enough for this place, but they are reliable, fantastic fun riding machines, available with top specs at knock down prices and with replace frame policies.

Forget about all this "must buy single pivot to save 10p": UK mountain biking is a money pit, period. By the time you need new bearings you'd have bought: two shock eyelets, 2 fork and shock services, 2 external BBs, 4 chains, cassette, 8 sets of brake pads, 2 sets of tyres, new pedals, brake servicing + upgrades of you choice. IMHO 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

You've read the mags, what more could you want to know?

Seriously though, STUPID QUESTION*

*I only use caps lock to pwn people.

juiced
    Free Member

One that fulfils your present and future needs and get on with.

eth3er
    Free Member

Huh, you said "dual sus!"

ahwiles
    Free Member

something cheap, so you've got spare money traveling to places to ride it.

Drac

Well I love my Heckler and have ridden there with that it was superb, so was my Orange 7+ then again so was my Rockhopper. Heckler has been my favourite but then I've not ridden a ride with 80% climbing, I find doing a loop it works out about 50/50 I have no idea how that works.

Get a small list try a them and pick one.

lowey

Budget ?

Work out how much you have to spend then pick a few bikes around that price point and TRY them.

Loads of places to demo bikes.

tinsy
    Free Member

drac 50/50 in miles 80/20 in time, maybe a bit feirce but ive never ridden the lakes or peaks, seems a fair judgment on Afan trail centres though. 🙂

The bike to do it on… god knows, whatever takes your fancy, you will only change every component on it over the next 3-6 years anyhow….

My bike has had 3 different frames, 2 wheelsets, 4 handlebars, 2 sets of brakes, etc etc… its like triggers broom.

Whyte1
    Free Member

Drac if your time ridin is spent 50% climbing you must be very fast up hill or very slow down

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘??Best dual sus for the UK??’ is closed to new replies.