Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Best DSLR to start me off?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No matter what people say, taking an SLR out on the bike is a PITA!

for you perhaps…

i was advised to shoot B&W from the camera bys someone one here (cant remember who)

that’s as maybe, but there’s no obvious advantage to it

A good camera is one you use, not leave on at home because its too big/bulky.

and based on that I carry around my D300 everywhere I go as I can’t abide Mickey Mouse cameras :o)

Milkie
    Free Member

What does Mickey Mouse Cameras mean?

HTTP404
    Free Member

perhaps the answer is the new generation of hybrid SLRs? (ie Samsung NX)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What does Mickey Mouse Cameras mean?

compacts, bridge cameras etc :o)

Milkie
    Free Member

If you get in to your photography you’ll soon want a dSLR (mainly for the interchanglable lenses), but photography is even more expensive than mountain biking! That’s the reason why I bought a compact.. So I can’t spend £1000’s on lenses.

Try some camera’s at a local camera shop. There is no point in buying a camera if you don’t feel comfortable with it.

Think about what you will be photographing, Landscapes, fast action shots, etc.. Fast action shots, then you will probably want a dSLR, as they can shoot shots in bursts 3.5 frames a second (or something). If you want to shoot landscapes, then you will probably want one with a wide lens.

DPReview is a great site for reviews of camera’s.

bomberman
    Free Member

SO….. i’ve been offered a very nice canon 400D which in all honesty am probably going to end up buying. What are the chances of me getting something like the shot of Ed-O on his ibis mojo? you know the one…. black and white.. silver p*sspot lid and goggles. lots of rocks.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

SO….. i’ve been offered a very nice canon 400D which in all honesty am probably going to end up buying. What are the chances of me getting something like the shot of Ed-O on his ibis mojo? you know the one…. black and white.. silver p*sspot lid and goggles. lots of rocks.

I’m sure if you ask Ed nicely he’ll let you..

To be honest, its not just about the camera, more the photographer..

Just cos you have a great camera, doesn’t mean it will turn you instantly into David Bailey..

chrisrhayes

I plumped for Nikon D40 with stock 18-55 about 6months ago.

Its cheap, light and works with my older lenses (with manual focus),

I’d get one again if it broke.

Check out Ken Rockwell’s blog.

As others have said, it’s not really about the camera… (but SLRs have their place).

crazy-legs

What are the chances of me getting something like the shot of Ed-O on his ibis mojo? you know the one…. black and white.. silver p*sspot lid and goggles. lots of rocks.

For every good shot you see published in a magazine or online, there will be 10-12 others that didn’t make it. The answer to your question is to take lots of photos. Some will be utter rubbish, some will be average and just occasionally you’ll get some which will be fantastic.

bomberman
    Free Member

All sound advice, thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Best DSLR to start me off?’ is closed to new replies.