Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Best DSLR camera bag for mountain biking.
  • pease
    Free Member

Hi all, I am in need of a good rucksack style bag to carry my DSLR and a couple of lenses when out riding. Something waterproof and that offers plenty of protection. Any ideas? As there are so many out there.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’d be looking at something made by lowepro, I’ve had my slr stashed in a toploader for several years now and nothing has got into it, mud, water,dust and sand have all been repelled with ease.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

How much kit?

Ive got a Dakine Mission photo, excellent pack. Just dont pick it up by the carry handle fully loaded…

kayak23

I just recently got myself a Lowepro photo Hatchback. There are two sizes and I went with the 16L which I thought would be ok for biking.

It loads from the back panel so access is made by taking the bag off. Fairly easy to swing round your front with the waist strap.

It’s got ok protection. The camera compartment itself has a drawchord cover that means you can remove the camera ‘block’ as a whole if you just need a regular bag. The front pocket is nice and long, good for a pump.
    The top section is fairly good but obviously limited. I’d have liked more little zipped pockets to hold tools etc but then it’s not really intended for that.

Importantly, it has a stowable rain cover underneath which just pulls out. Essential really and a great feature.

As mentioned above on the Dakine bag, I think the carry handle could be beefier but so far no problems.

I have inside mine, a Nikon d7100 and 3 lenses, one fitted of those. It’s snug but works well. I also have a mini tripod in the side pocket and various camera stuff elsewhere. For general biking I’d cut down this quite drastically though. I use the bag daily for work etc. Really like it as a day to day bag mostly.

Oh yeah, drinks can be carried on the side stretchy pockets. Personally I think you might lose the odd heavier bottle if you shed the gnar too hard, but I’ve not used them for sports bottles yet. A can of coke is snug even…

I have the Orange one. It’s lush…
    🙂

Lowepro also do a ‘Photosport’ which I suppose is a bit more like your regular biking pack. I can’t actually remember now why I chose the hatchback over the photo sport but I think partly it was because this pack was for general use for me too and I like the security of having no side access door.. looks good though.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L5F-ac6tIgM[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Lowepro flipside sport AW. They do a few bags with a camelbak bladder pocket and hose routing, plenty of different sizes. They have a waterproof cover but IIRC there is one that’s waterproof without the cover.

Maltloaf

I have the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW. It’s a great bit of kit. My SLR feels snug and as safe as could be. I’ve had no issues with water getting in. There is loads of room for kit and very comfortable.

Downsides? not cheap!! If you have a large body (1D etc), and long lenses, you may not fit it in the camera compartment. My 500d and stock lens and flashgun fit great.

they go for £75 second hand on ebay.

gribble
    Free Member

Just bought a pack for my new SLR. This may not work for you, but I decided on a evoc camera bloc. They are expensive (12l one I have is £50). Very well made and will fit a larger ruck sack well. They also do smaller, more portable sizes. Just a thought.

I had mine as a present, but after all my Internet research I was then tempted by an evoc back pack as well. Kind of a Christmas present to myself.

pease
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I have been looking at the lowepro gear and like the look of it.I also came across the Mantona Rhodolit Backpack which looks interesting. Any one come across these before? I don’t mind spending good money on a pack as its carrying expensive cargo 😉
    Mainly I only take my 5dii, 2 lenses and maybe a flash etc. At the moment I have my camera etc in small padded bags and then put them in my Osprey cycling pack but it’s a faff when you want that quick shot!

ampthill

A Flickr contact posted his views on this

Yes he works in IT not sure if he has an Audi

But he is a very good photographer

http://ilanshacham.com/articles.html

pease
    Free Member

Thanks ampthill, I liked how easily accessible it was, hadn’t thought of a waist bag. I am not sure if it would annoy me whilst riding though.

ampthill

Will it annoy my whole riding. Yes that’s the crucial question….

pease
    Free Member

I think after a fair bit of looking, I have decided on the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW Backpack. It will not only be great for biking but I could also use it when doing shorter hikes or outdoor shoots.

tall_martin

I bought the photosport 200 for a trip to the alps. The bag is great, it all works perfectly held up to some minor crashes.

But I bought the orange one and its difficult to clean any oil off.

Also it weighs a ton having the dslr and even one light lense is very noticeable after a days riding.

But the bags perfect (in black).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone use a bar bag? I reckon I go OTB less often than I go sideways and roll over my back, and the bike weighs less than me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would never use a bar bag for fast MTBing. Messes up the handling too much. It’s ok for touring or general cycling tho.

pease
    Free Member

tall_martin, thanks for that. I have been pondering over colour. I was worried whether the orange would get grubby quick. I don’t often take the camera with me, it will only be for when doing natural rides or photo shoots. as when I am on the trails I like to shred and don’t like a lot of weight on my back 🙂

kayak23

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Does anyone use a bar bag?

Vibration levels really not good for electronics I imagine. More stable ride on your back in theory.

tall_martin

The orange is still mostly clean, but only due to loads of vanish soap and a good scrub before a non mtb holiday wandering florence last summer.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve been through a few camera specific bags and went back to a large Lowepro ‘pouch’ which takes my camera and 24-70 or 70-200. Pouch just sits at the top of whatever rucksack I fancy taking. Taking more than one lens is a luxury too far. Also not interested in taking a flash, radio triggers, light stands or any other bits and bobs.

Tbh, it’s more often a wee prime lens too, rather than a zoom. But then I am 40.

pease
    Free Member

User-removed. I had thought about that idea too but I did go for the Lowe pro bag in the end. Looks great and build quality is supurb as you would expect. I tend to only carry my main body and my 24-70 lens and maybe some filters but have some event photography coming up and would like to take a couple of lens’ and probably a flash. Then again on the events I wont be cycling miles so weight etc isnt an issue.

footflaps

I’ve never used a specific bag and just stuffed it in the top of my Camelbak. I normally ride ahead, jump off the bike, grab the camera and shoot the group as they ride past. Not damaged a DSLR yet….

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Thought I’d post this link, as an alternative to the other manufactures already mentioned.

http://fstopgear.com/

iain1775
    Free Member

Lots of cheap lowepro bags on eBay, all from China
    Anyone any experiences?
    Don’t want to pay silly money for a bag I will only use occasionally but at same time don’t want to stick my camera in a really cheap ‘fake’ that isn’t waterproof

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Iain1775, any chance of your email please mate ref skiing clothing?

Cheers 🙂

dashed
    Free Member

Have a look for a Lowepro primus minimus – out of production now but they come up on eBay now and then (I got a new one a few months back for about £45 and i just sold a secondhand one in good nick for about £20 😥 ). Best biking pack I could find as side access to the camera without taking the bag off. Takes my Eos 6D plus a spare lens or two, and has a separate top section for biking junk. Mate has the normal size primus and prefers it but a bit big for my liking.

benp1

Do you want to be able to access the camera easily?

One option is stick the camera in an already owned bag. I have various cases for this but I’ve recently taken to a neoprene wrap, its much lighter and easier to use, and I realise that I CBA with a bigger more protective bag – but then I don’t fall over when I’m generally knocking around (and not on a bike)

My other pack that might work is part of the Lowepro Slingshot series. One strap (with a stabilising strap), really easy to access the camera, you just whip it around messenger bag style. I use this if I’m going somewhere and know I’m going to want easy access to my camera i.e. on holiday in a city. Not sure how good it would be for biking as I never tested the stability bit, plus one strap only so might get achy (and can’t switch shoulders like on a messenger bag)

ninfan
    Free Member

Not many people out there with more experience of bikes and cameras than Steve:

https://stevebehr.tumblr.com/post/71973854874/gear-of-the-year-1

benp1

PSA – very cheap currently! http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lowepro-inverse-100-aw-black/p1028108

Actually I think I might buy this for myself!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I would never use a bar bag for fast MTBing. Messes up the handling too much. It’s ok for touring or general cycling tho.

Vibration levels really not good for electronics I imagine. More stable ride on your back in theory.

Hadn’t thought of the vibration. Handling could be solved by a frame bag, and the vibration by lots of cut up camping mat as padding? My K-5’s heavy metal bodied DSLR so I can’t imagine with some padding it would vibrate that much?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know, that’s your call 🙂

Maybe get onto Wildcat Gear and ask them to make you a custom bag with your camera in mind?

grum
    Free Member

I just take a Micro Four Thirds Camera or now I’d take the Fuji XF1 compact I’ve just bought. Took my 5D on a ride once and it was a right pain in the arse.

Unless you’re doing mountain bike photography professionally or wanting to practise for such it’s way too much hassle/weight. Unless the camera is right in front of you on a chest strap how many times are you going to actually take the bag off and use it?

IMHO, each to their own etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah for in-ride pics I take my tough compact, strapped to my camelbak strap in the rain and mud. Don’t even have to stop riding to take a photo.

I do sometimes take my SLR but then it’s not really bike ride, it’s a picture taking trip.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Best DSLR camera bag for mountain biking.’ is closed to new replies.