Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best drone for filming an outdoorsy type event.
  • welshfarmer

Me and a couple of mates are organising an event for May this year (The Big Outdoors) and I am hoping to get some nice aerial footage in order to better promote it in future. What would be the best, easy to use, sensibly-priced drone/quadcopter to go for and why?

I plan to also use it for mapping my fields for environmental purposes and to observe my stock remotely without disturbing them too much 🙂

Cheers

WF

brassneck

You will be asked if you’ve done ground & air schools for any commercial purpose when you try and get liability insurance. You’d get away with your ‘own’ use but flying anywhere near people I’d be wary of without proper cover. Plus the courses will show you the CAA approved way of flying with an audience which may not be compatible with a festival set up 🙂

I’ve done the ‘badges’ and I wouldn’t say they endow you with any super powers a normal sensible adult wouldn’t have, but they do let you get the insurance with fewer questions.

Alternately, if you just want to wing(less) it, bang for buck I’d look for a second hand Phantom II with a GoPro gimbal. You add on the bits for FPV fairly cheaply if you need it.

willard

DJI Phantom appears to be the go to platform for most people, but there are other makes about that are good (TBS Discovery being another good one).

For filming though, spend the cash on the filming camera. Rubbish camera means rubbish footage, so bear that in mind.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No idea on drones, but it took me 5 minutes to try and work out what ‘The Big Outdoors’ was about, doesn’t really jump out at you from the web page until you scroll right down.

Stoner
    Free Member

FD – I think if you have to ask, you’re not invited 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Dji as above. So nearly blew the cash on one but the fact it will be used for a bit then put in the draw actually made me see sense for a change.

welshfarmer

Thanks fort all the advice chaps. Am currently thinking the Phantom 3 is the one to go for at the moment. Unless anyone thinks the 2 with a Go-Pro would be a better option. Like the idea of the remote viewing though that the 3 gives you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best drone for filming an outdoorsy type event.’ is closed to new replies.